PHA Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sassy2899

Had a friends first calf heifer lose her calf.  When they pulled it the calf had a swollen head and tongue, but was only a 60 lb calf. When they went to pull the calf the feet were not out yet.  The heifer only pushed for 2 hours before they stepped in.  so my question to you all is, could the calf have been PHA positive?

farmboy

No.

Swollen head and tongue can be caused by a number of things. PHA calves are severely deformed and fluid filled. They're extremely large as well.

CAB

Sassy2899 said:
Had a friends first calf heifer lose her calf.  When they pulled it the calf had a swollen head and tongue, but was only a 60 lb calf. When they went to pull the calf the feet were not out yet.  The heifer only pushed for 2 hours before they stepped in.  so my question to you all is, could the calf have been PHA positive?

Two hours is too long to wait on helping a first calf heifer if she is not making any progress. We'll step in one hour after we see a water bag and evaluate. If we think that the heifer is dilated enough to get the calf pulled, we will pull it. The swelling of the head & tongue was caused from pushing too long with no progress. Chances are that she had been at it for more than 2 hours.

Sassy2899

[quoteTwo hours is too long to wait on helping a first calf heifer if she is not making any progress. We'll step in one hour after we see a water bag and evaluate. If we think that the heifer is dilated enough to get the calf pulled, we will pull it. The swelling of the head & tongue was caused from pushing too long with no progress. Chances are that she had been at it for more than 2 hours.][/quote]

Thats what I usually do as well.
Thank you all for your input, just didn't know if it was or not.  Haven't ever witnessed a PHA calf before and hopefully never will.

kfacres

Sassy2899 said:
[quoteTwo hours is too long to wait on helping a first calf heifer if she is not making any progress. We'll step in one hour after we see a water bag and evaluate. If we think that the heifer is dilated enough to get the calf pulled, we will pull it. The swelling of the head & tongue was caused from pushing too long with no progress. Chances are that she had been at it for more than 2 hours.]

Thats what I usually do as well.
Thank you all for your input, just didn't know if it was or not.  Haven't ever witnessed a PHA calf before and hopefully never will.
[/quote]

you'll know it when you do...  It's not going to be the head and tongue that's swollen-- it will be the entire calf-- and you will have to cut it out.  Do a search on here to see pictures- very unmistakable.  Not only that, but a simple 20 dollar blood test will tell you if you even have a worry with that particular female.