PHA results

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

ok, sorry, i'm excited, my paramount grandaughter is PHAF, her sire is not yet tested.  dang, i can't believe it.  she's the one with all the tenderness genes.  PHA/TH free hobby herd.

DL

knabe said:
ok, sorry, i'm excited, my paramount grandaughter is PHAF, her sire is not yet tested.  dang, i can't believe it.  she's the one with all the tenderness genes.  PHA/TH free hobby herd.

I know exactly how you feel - congrats!

Telos

Congrats Knabe. Sounds like something important to add to the gene pool.

What is the registration number, if you don't mind giving it out?

knabe

i'll post it when i get the number.  it's the last thing along with tattoo that i have to do and haven't made time.

she's out of a buck legacy plus cow, and on the bottom side her mother was a full sis ET to backdraft. so i got lucky both times.

the reason i purchased this cow was she was bred to the paramount son, so the mother is more conventionally show bred and mated to an older genetic based bull, and the other cow is an older genetics based cow (midas) bred to a show bull, legacy plus, the twins.  i wish i had also purchased i think it was one of the cows on another thread the amy25 or something fullblood cow someone was talking about, didnt' double check if it was her or not, but she also had a bull by paramount i liked, i think the bull calf was national champion fullblood in 2005 or6.  he's not tested for PHA yet, and yes i am spurring them to do so.

Telos

Knabe-- Did the Paramount son happen to be JJN or FCF (prefix) bred? They were the only two Maine breeders that I know of,  using  Paramount.

knabe

i think his name is JJN paramount 104N or something like that.  for some reason, i can only get him to come up if i have his registration number instead of partial names.  search seems extremely picky about names and generating all offspring with paramount in name.  he's NOT the JJN paramount at fcf with number 248771

Telos

JJN Mr Paramount 104A is the full name. He's out of a very interesting solid black purebred cow that Jerry Gibson owned. Miss Black S Blt 104A. She  was probably a Homozygous solid black carrier. At least she never threw anything but solid black when bred to fullblood Maine bulls. Jerry had a half sister by FR Magic that I should have bought about 6 years ago.

Miss Black S Blt goes back to a KBC Dalton bred cow. So you should feel extra, extra lucky. Quite a few carrier cattle in that pedigree.Congrats again.

TJ

knabe said:

Great news!!  (clapping) 

knabe

correct on the name telos.  the critique's i've gotten on paramount not related to his carrier status are not all that postive, though i remember someone saying to JJN before PHA status was known that he thought they should have used that bull more.  There is plenty of semen left on him (paramount) but obviously it won't get used, compared to other carriers who excel at the club calf arena.  most of the critique's are related to his not being deep enough and needs more overall heart girth, too many other good fullblood bulls out there.  i've got some pictures of the 104N bull.  supposedly he's thrown bw's in the 60-70 range in the guy's herd whose been using maine's since around 74.  his full brother which also sold in the sale, was not as deep as 104N.  also the other bull i was referring to , JJN lucky seven 007P is not tested yet for PHA, though i think they've sent in the samples.  he was the fort worth full blood championin 2006.  FCF bought him back, or some semen rights and he was also out of one of JJN's favorite full blood cows, FCF amy from which many embryo's were sold in the sale out of cunia, habanero, tecumseh and executive.  appreciate your knowledge on the fullbloods.  the owner of 104N said he's going down the road after next year, so i'm hoping i can get him tested and or collected before then.

Telos

Kandee Lucas-Hagerman thought Paramount was an inconsistent breeder and the Canadians did not like him because of that. I liked to pick those Canadian Maine breeders thoughts regarding Maine genetics. They seemed to be more upfront and had more experience then the Americans with re to Fullbloods. The Paramounts I saw at JJN were very stylish, but like you said most did not have enough guts in them. He could throw a lot of muscle though, with really good base width down in the inside twist area and were usually wide tracking. I saw Lucky Seven as a calf and called several Shorthorn breeders in the area to take a look. He was an interesting bull IMO with a lot of muscle and again stylish but did not have the internal rib dimension. I'm glad none of the Shorthorn folks never looked at him. All they needed was another Stinger.

I'm still wondering about all those Dalton derivatives. He was the most used PHA carrier( unless there are others we have not found yet) when looking at the Black Maine pedigrees. It seems like the last six months, the search for carriers came to a complete stand-still. What is up with that?

knabe

noted that Kandee Lucas-Hagerman (KLH) purchased a bull called avalanche from maineaimranch.  he stood 2nd to the bull who died twice, hall's legacy plus, plus indeed.  couldn't find out any more about KLH

Telos

KLH is a very interesting person to say the least. She is an ex- Maine breeder of mostly fullbloods. She dispersed last year or maybe the year before, I believe. She bred the bull Hillcrestview Conqueror that I really do like. The calf champion at the National Fullblood Show this year was a direct son. He was still nursing his mother.

Joe Boy

I really enjoyed the history.  I had a heifer from the same bull and was not so lucky.  I wanted to buy the bull but got to the sale late and had not looked him over the way I wanted too.... something and my wife both told me not to buy him.....wow... thanks to my wife I did not make a big mess for us....

Thanks for the history.

Look at the bull, JAC Jack Moneymaker and tell me what you think of his history.

knabe

couldn't find any info other than a guy named jonathon smith showed him as champion at the ozark empire fair and he's out of moneymaker.  Jack's number is 371529