PHA Status Questions - ??????

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

I think one of the things that happens fairly often is people AI and then a very short time later send 'em out with the bull. They then assume if they calve to the AI date that it is an AI calf - despite the fact that a cow can calve 30 days on either side of her due date and still be "normal" (way outside the bell shaped curve but normal) - and the only time this is found out is when the animal is tested for one reason or another or has a calf that doesn't parentally verify...I think that is pretty common. I hope the deliberate deception is rare but I am not sure I believe it is rare...ps I think you are a "real cattle person" and an honest one  ;D

Show Heifer

In my few years of clubbie cattle, "mistakes" happen all the time. I won't buy ANYTHING without a clean bill of health INCLUDING PHA/TH results.  I don't care what the "claimed" pedigree is. Paranoid maybe....but screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me!!
I don't see why it is such a big deal to blood type and test everything that is for sale. If an animal is worth selling as a future breeding animal, then $30 isn't going to break anyone...regardless of pedigree or even breed.  And please don't whine about "I have 300 cows and can't possibly test all the calves".....yes you can. You just don't want to.  :mad:
(You is a general term, not specific to anyone).

Jill

Well it isn't 30 dollars, it is 27 for the th, I'm assuming 27 for the pha, 35 for the DNA because if you don't trust anything I assume you are getting DNA also or the th and pha test didn't do you any good and the shipping for both locations is 100 dollars added to the calf the 4-her wants for market price.  It may not be a big deal to you, but it is to me when I know without a doubt that my pedigree is absolutely without a doubt clean. 
And thank you DL coming from you I will take that as a compliment ;D

DL

Jill said:
Well it isn't 30 dollars, it is 27 for the th, I'm assuming 27 for the pha, 35 for the DNA because if you don't trust anything I assume you are getting DNA also or the th and pha test didn't do you any good and the shipping for both locations is 100 dollars added to the calf the 4-her wants for market price.  It may not be a big deal to you, but it is to me when I know without a doubt that my pedigree is absolutely without a doubt clean. 
And thank you DL coming from you I will take that as a compliment ;D

Good, because  it was intended as a compliment (and I don't say it if I don't mean it)! ;D

I only AI - have no bull, have no neighbors bull, now exactly who the daddy is - but as someone who has made a big stink about the issues I just have to figure it is the cost of doing business - for private treaty clients who know and trust me - repeat buyers etc - I would test if they wanted (but they don't  (clapping) (clapping)) For the Ohio Expo I think it has to be across the board because otherwise people become less honest - so I'll test for both even thought I have no TH in my herd...hope that makes some sense. I don't parentally verify, and although at first I thought the Maines should on the AI and ET animals, that DNA is available should it be needed.  I guess (like many things) it is the honest people who end up paying....

red

Jill- I was just playing devil's Advocate on this. I will be thrilled that I don't have to test my Habanero x Wild Rose flushes. I know I will have to test my Gold Club x Wild Rose ones though.
I just wonder if they will do the same for calves produced natually by know clean parents?
I tested everything this year whether or not they were suspect of not. Of course I don't have that many to test. I know that after talking to a board member w/ a number of cows, he's just going to test the ones for his sale out of known carriers or unknown bloodlines. Won't test for example an Angus cow & a clean bull.

Red

Jill

The way I understood it if you had tested the parents and they were clean the calves could be turned in as clean pedigrees, it wasn't determined by how they were bred.  At this point we have not tested our whole herd most by pedigree aren't a concern, but our donors have all had th/pha and dna so I know they are ok.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, lots of food for thought.

red

this is for the Denver Show:
ALL cattle must be REGISTERED prior to making entries and those registration numbers must be given at the time of entry.
- Consignments to the National Sale and Cattleman's Choice Sale MUST be free of PHA and TH. Carrier cattle will not be allowed in either sale.
- National Western activities are scheduled a week later for 2008, meaning the Maine-Anjou show and sale activities will be
January 18-21, 2008.
- New health requirements:
    - Individual health certificates must be furnished showing negative
      BVD-PI, TB and Bangs tests within 30 days of entering Colorado.
    - Bangs test must be made at a Federally Accredited Laboratory by
      the tube method.
    - All animals must have a negative anaplasmosis test.

DL

red said:
this is for the Denver Show:
ALL cattle must be REGISTERED prior to making entries and those registration numbers must be given at the time of entry.
- Consignments to the National Sale and Cattleman's Choice Sale MUST be free of PHA and TH. Carrier cattle will not be allowed in either sale.
- National Western activities are scheduled a week later for 2008, meaning the Maine-Anjou show and sale activities will be
January 18-21, 2008.
- New health requirements:
    - Individual health certificates must be furnished showing negative
      BVD-PI, TB and Bangs tests within 30 days of entering Colorado.
    - Bangs test must be made at a Federally Accredited Laboratory by
      the tube method.
    - All animals must have a negative anaplasmosis test.

WELL I'LL BE A MONKEY'S UNCLE AIN'T THAT PROGRESS FOR YA! GOOD FOR THE AMAA! Now lets see if they enforce it. :eek:

Dale

Even if you think you know the parents of calves, there is sometimes reason to doubt.  One rancher observed two cows calving at the same time, a red cow having a roan calf and a roan cow birthing a red calf--immediately after calving the two cows swapped calves so that the calves matched up in color with the dams.

showcattlegal

I'm going to test the ones that need to be, but i know some have no way of being carriers for either. Angus cows bred to free bulls, and free maine heifers bred to angus bulls.

DL

showcattlegal said:
I'm going to test the ones that need to be, but i know some have no way of being carriers for either. Angus cows bred to free bulls, and free maine heifers bred to angus bulls.

Not to be the devils advocate (OH, OK I am) - you know your Maine heifers are clean because they have been tested or because they are free by pedigree??

Latest posts