PHA Status Questions - ??????

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chad

I know that this is a dead horse for some - but I am not seeing very many of
the older bulls showing up on the AMAA site.  Is there a better place to look for this
information????  My Maine's are out of Stilts, Calberta Hustler, Calberta
Big Timber, High Roller, Colby, Babe Ruth, Wall Street, Chicago, Apache
Power, Pistol Pete along with some Power Plant and Paydirt semen in the
tank, waiting on the right cow.  I would appreciate any information or where
I could find it at.  I kept thinking that I would see more bulls listed but
that hasn't happened.  If anyone knows the status of any of these bulls that I listed, I would appreciate knowing.  Thanks to all and have a blessed day!!!!!  ;D ;D

OH Breeder

Did you email Dragon Lady? She might have th answer on some of them. I will look at the catalog as well from maine association it is sometimes ahead of the sight.

OH Breeder

Chad,
I am not sure if this helps, but some of the bulls you have listed are from PH free parentage. That might help in your decision process. SOme of the OLD OLD bulls have been tested.

DL

Chad said:
I know that this is a dead horse for some - but I am not seeing very many of
the older bulls showing up on the AMAA site.  Is there a better place to look for this
information????  My Maine's are out of Stilts, Calberta Hustler, Calberta
Big Timber, High Roller, Colby, Babe Ruth, Wall Street, Chicago, Apache
Power, Pistol Pete along with some Power Plant and Paydirt semen in the
tank, waiting on the right cow.  I would appreciate any information or where
I could find it at.  I kept thinking that I would see more bulls listed but
that hasn't happened.  If anyone knows the status of any of these bulls that I listed, I would appreciate knowing.  Thanks to all and have a blessed day!!!!!  ;D ;D

Hey Chad - Long time no talk!! ;D ;D Hope you are well and calving was successful.Many of the older bulls esp with limited semen have not been tested.

It has been a long time since I have looked at or for the lists - so I'll have to find them (imagine that) but from memory this is what I know. SEK removed their lists and is putting the TH and PHA status on each bull, however it is a work in progress. You might call Donna at SEK about Hustler & Big Timber

If High Roller is the 3/4 blood red Maine bull from either Texas or OK I beleive he is a PHA carrier -

There is no evidence that Power Plant, Pistol Pete, Chicago or Paydirt are carriers - I don't know if they have been tested. Stilts was popular at Stinger time - again no evidence he is a carrier.

I don't think Babe Ruth has been tested - if he has it was never on a list. Don't know about Apache
Power

Let me skulk around and see what I can come up with.

DL

With any luck this list is the TH status of PHA carrier bulls - it is certainly not complete - sometimes knowledge is hard to come by --it is my understanding that Craig Reiter and BJ Eick will be publishing a list in one of their show guides......

Attachments

• TH STATUS OF PHA CARRIER BULLS.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 164

Telos

I sure would like to know the status on Calberta Big Timber. He was used quite a bit, but I have never heard of any problems. The maternal side of his pedigree looks suspicious. If you do have Big Timber in the tank, I'm sure Dr. Beever would be more then happy to test it. I also think Stilts sould be tested. I'm not saying they are carriers, but think it would be interesting to know their status.

DL, If I remember correctly High Roller tested clean. DLD has some cows with his genetics and remember we were relieved to know his status, but could be wrong.

red

(welcome) Chad. This is the place to come for PHA/TH information.
Here is DL's chart she posted earlier

TH STATUS OF PHA CARRIER BULLS
                                            TH Status
24/7                                        FREE
4D Double Vision                  CARRIER
AHL Double Stuff              CARRIER
AMC Spin City SD 1032        FREE
AR Su Lu Kool 007            CARRIER
Bad Moon Rising                CARRIER
BK Euchee                          FREE
BK Medicine Man                    ?
BK Nationwide 53N                ?
BK Navajo                          FREE
BK Powerplus                      FREE
BKRF Powerhouse 158P          ?
Black Kat                            FREE
Checks In The Mail            FREE
Cowboy Cut                      FREE
DJ High Definition              FREE
Donnie                              CARRIER
Duramax                              FREE
Fighting Irish                        FREE
Flat Out                                FREE
GCC Cerveza                    FREE
Godfather                          FREE
Icepick                                FREE
Irish Whiskey                          ?
J ART Lights Out              CARRIER
MCF Warhorse                  CARRIER
Mindales Teddy Bear          CARRIER
Moody Blues                      CARRIER
Mossy Oak                            FREE
NFL                                        FREE
Paddy OMalley                    FREE
Payback                                  FREE
Silver Bullet                          CARRIER
Texas Holdem - Lautner          FREE
The Bookie                          CARRIER
Theobold 969                          FREE
TJH Okie Dokie                        FREE
Vaquero                                    FREE
Whiskey 7                              FREE
Wild Card                            CARRIER
Xray Vision                          CARRIER

Jill

Ok, on the PHA question back to the paperwork listing the status.  If I have a tested F donor cow and a tested F ai bull will the Maine paperwork show up as FP-Free by Pedigree because I shouldn't need to test the resulting calf, he has to be free and they have both of the parents on file?  Something to ponder.

red

hummm.. good question. I guess that don't go by parentage?
I just know I gave them my resuls & they listed them on the new papers.

Red

DL

I have had a hard time figuring out exactly how they are going to handle this ----- my understanding is that they are listing only those tested - but I can't find anything on the web site - what is also interesting to me is that all the lists seem to have disappeared....if knowledge is power then what is lack of knowledge???

Jill

Ok, I called Rhonda and asked, she said that is the plan on down the line, it will be incorporated at some point, but for now if you will let them know they are free by pedigree because the parents have been tested they will sure put that on the papers.  It is really nice to know for us because for any of our embryo work our donors have already been tested and all of our AI bulls we know the status on the ones that are free.  

red

I see that being good but I'd really hope the calves are from who they think they are.
Can see a problem w/ someone that thinks they have an ET calf but the recip got w/ the bull & you have a problem. I'd hate to buy a calf thinking it's clean & then end up w/ a carrier down the road. Just playing Devil's Advocate on this one.

Red

Jill

That goes with anything you have or buy, I doubt you DNA type everything you have now just to make sure that the pedigree is correct, I know it happens, but I would think it would be a rare thing for honest people, I can see it more for those that change pedigrees.
I can't speak for anyone else, but our clean up bull isn't at the same farm as our donors or recips.  When we set up donors and recips we bring them into pens and they stay there until the embryos have settled, they don't go with the bull until the 2nd heat, and we normally preg check at that time,  so if the bull bred her and we didn't know it it would REALLY be a freak thing.  Just on our embryo matings it would save us around 1000.00 a year in testing those calves for th and pha when I  know they can't be carriers, I think that is a good thing.

DL

Well there are the honest people, the mistakes, and then the less than honest (I was going to use an unpleasant word but we got a little rain, less that 2 tenths but I hope my good karma brings us more) so I think it is a good plan BUT people need to know and trust the people who they buy cattle from.....it is a good thing for the honest people, hope the less than honest don't screw it up!! I suspect however some sales will require testing no matter what and frankly I am not opposed to that either - I like what Ohio did last year and I hope they continue....

DL

I also have this in a pdf if anyone wants it - it has colors, this is TH status of PHA FREE bulls

TH STATUS OF PHA NEGATIVE BULLS
: PHA Free TH Status
: About Time- CARRIER
: AbraKadabra- FREE
: Ace in the Hole- FREE
: AF SL Sin City- FREE
: After Shock- FREE
: Ali- FREE
: Alias- FREE
: All About You- CARRIER
: Analyze This- FREE
: Big & Rich- CARRIER
: Big Iron- FREE
: BK Lifeline 258J- FREE
: Bleeding Purple- CARRIER
: BLSC Pale Face 424L- FREE
: Captain Hook- CARRIER
: Cherry Bomb- CARRIER
: CLB Notorious- FREE
: CMAC Hard Core- FREE
: COR Fear Factor 11702- FREE
: DeBull- ?
: DF Casper 236 TP- FREE
: DJ Caesar C328- FREE
: Dr. Hook- CARRIER
: Doctor Who- FREE
: Elbee Leader C087 “Gizmo”- FREE
: EBB Strictly Business- FREE
: Endangered Species- FREE
: Eyes on the Money- CARRIER
: FGJ Habanero- FREE
: FJH Iceman 49G- FREE
: Foreplay- FREE
: Friction- FREE
: Full Flush- FREE
: GF Kadabra- FREE
: Ground Zero- FREE
: Hairy Bear- FREE
: Hannibal- FREE
: Home Brew- CARRIER
: Infared- CARRIER
: Johnny Walker Red- FREE
: KBC Taz 9521E- FREE
: King Pin- CARRIER
: Little Cedar Churchill 414- FREE
: Live Bait- FREE
: Maine Break- FREE
: Majors Money Man- FREE
: MCF Roan Horse- CARRIER
: Money Maker- FREE
: Mitten Man Q35P- FREE
: Money Talks- CARRIER
: My Name is Earl- FREE
: Neon- FREE
: Nutt N'Butt Business- FREE
: Pac Man- FREE
: Rapid Response- CARRIER
: Red Hot- CARRIER
: Rock Star- CARRIER
: Romeo- CARRIER
: RSG Payoff 805E MCF- FREE
: RSVP- FREE
: SBR 20/20 Vision- CARRIER
: 2nd To None- FREE
: Shock and Awe- CARRIER
: SS Kaboom- FREE
: SS Lucky 312- CARRIER
: STF Goldmember- FREE
: Sun Seeker- CARRIER
: Sugar Daddy- CARRIER
: Texas Hold ‘Em - Habegar- CARRIER
: TLM Bouncer 152L- FREE
: Tyson- FREE
: Wave on Wave- CARRIER
: Wells Fargo- FREE
: Whiteboy- FREE
: Who Made Who- FREE
: Who’s Got the Heat- CARRIER
: Wild Cherry- FREE
: Witch Doctor- FREE
: Words 4W Casper- FREE
: ZIA ESD Smooth Criminal- FREE

red

Jill- I trust people like you but if you look at the number of bulls that have changed parentage because of a "whose your daddy" situation, I know mistakes can happen. I agree if you test the dam & use a clean bull it should be a no brainer. What about the offspring of clean dams & bulls? Do we have to test them still too?

Red

Jill

The way I understand it no, it does however open a can of worms because I guess it is no longer a case of implied status, if I say that calf is free and it isn't,  it is fraud and can be charged as such if it is stated wrong and a buyer wants to press the issue.  Good points.  I know I am not a "real" cattle person and we don't live in highly populated cattle country where someone elses bulls can roam in my pasture, but I guess I just find it hard to believe that honest mistakes happen that often.  I would have to guess that it is more careless paperwork, or I want to sell him so let call him a Heat Wave and even a mediocre one will sell with this pedigree :-\.  Don't have the answers at this point I guess.