Photos of Candidates for Replacement Heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

We are in the process of getting ready to "ship" our calves in early July.  This time of year, we start moving all of our cattle together in one big group.  Took some photos of some of our cows and calves this weekend.  They look pretty good right now with the all of the grass we've got this year.  These calves are all born in the fall and are about to be weaned.  Many are almost as big as their mothers.  We keep about 50-60% of our heifers as replacements, some of which we sell later after calving.  Just some photos of our critters.

BigTankPasture.jpg

General view of our "Big Tank Pasture" showing some of our cows.

No43.jpg

1st calf heifer with steer calf.  The heifer is out of a Cunia son (Cunia x Foreplay's dam) and an Angus cow.  The steer calf is out of a purebred Maine bull we use on heifers.  We didn't weight him at birth, but he probably weighed less than 50 lbs.  When he'd lay down as a baby, he'd actually roll underneather our pipe fences and got out several times he was so small.  He's now actually a really good calf that is probably good enough to show.  Picture doesn't quite do him justice.  Cow bred back to a Lifeline son.

TroyDaughter.jpg

One of my Charolais-X 1st calf heifers.  Sired by a PB Charolais bull named Troy.  She is about as good as they come in my opinion.  We weaned her first bull calf and broke him out, but he didn't quite make the cut for son's first steer group.  She is bred back go Golden Child.

PalefaceCalf.jpg

Paleface heifer calf out of a Full Form daughter (in background).  Got a couple of nice heifers out of Paleface last fall, but not much in the way of steers.  Cow bred back to Almost Famous.

FlashGD.jpg

This one is out of a Shamrock son and a Meyer GD.  She's a good one in my opinion.  Note the milk around her face.  Her momma is ready to get rid of her. (Corrected caption)

BigHeifer.jpg

Another big heifer calf - out of a Shamrock son.

Cows.jpg

General view of some cows.  The white steer calf belongs to the 1st calf Charolais cow pictured above.  There is a baldy cow in the picture that is one of our best cows out of a Meyer son.  Has raised a couple of placing steers at Texas majors.

red

great job Chambero!!!
Really good pictures. I bet the moms will be glad to get rid of some of the calves, they look to be really big!

Red

DL

Nice heifers chambero - I really like the Charolais X heifer (clapping) (clapping)

justme

Great pictures!  I enjoyed the cows, but the scenary (ok I cann't spell) is beautiful!

chambero

Couple of more:

6Blue.jpg

Spotty.jpg

A spotted heifer calf out of Shamrock and another of our better cows.  This Smithbilt cow had our best steer last year and this heifer is pretty nice - again better than the picture shows.  I worried about her getting too straight when she was very little but she's fine now.  Cow bred back to Almost Famous.

BellasMom.jpg

This is the No. 16 calf with her momma.  This Meyer GD has good calves every year.  My son just finished showing her heifer from Fall 05.  Cow bred back to Golden Child.

red

I always figured you had some top notch cattle Chambero & it just confirmed it for me!
Thank you so much for sharing those w/ us!

Red

knabe

chambero,

are the trees cottonwoods, locusts?  nice red dirt, reminds me of northern ok.

i like 16 as well.  like the room for IM fat in that loin and lower stifle and squarness of front end and her thick in the right place booty.

I love the milk fat, on her face and body.

chambero

Cottonwoods and big willows for the most part growing around a tank that was built in the 1920s.  Northern Texas near Wichita Falls.

We are in pretty wide open country except where people have let mesquites take over.  My father-in-law has kept them hand sprayed religously his whole life. 

Telos

Great cattle... Great scenery... Great photos! Chambero, being a city dweller and working all day in the kitchen, you really made my day. Came home from work and I didn't even have to round up the cows. Thanks for sharing. Your calves look awesome.

chambero

The scenery wasn't quite so good a few months ago when the grass was about an inch high.  What a little water can do.  I was actually on a 4-wheeler taking those photos.  The pastures still have water standing in them in many spots.  We couldn't get cattle out right now if we had to.

We use pretty low stocking rates and feed no hay to cattle in pastures.  We bale a little wheat and klein grass hay to feed to cattle in "town" at our lots where we calve out heifers and have our show calves. 

It certainly feels good to see our cows in belly-deep grass right now.

TJ

Nice looking heifer calves!  I wouldn't mind owning a few of them myself.  ;)

chambero

Thanks for the compliments folks.  We are trying to make them better every year.

genes

Wow when I saw that first picture I was surprised how much it looks like my pastures in Saskatchewan.  I guess not how I thought of Texas.

I like that heifer with the 16 tag.

OH Breeder

My two favorites in the group are 1- the smoke, really like her. Clean neck nice body and depth of rib 2- the heifer calf out of your Shamrock son, also like her depth of body and looks like she has plenty of rib for her age.
What is the base for your herd? Ma x Angus or Simm x Angus etc?

chambero

The true base of our cow herd is commercial Angus from the R.A. Brown Ranch in Throckmorton, TX.  We started crossing Maine and Simi bulls on them in the mid-90s.  Our first Maine bulls were out of Magic, Pistol Pete, and Smithbilt.  We added a very good Meyer 734 son in 1998 (who was just retired last fall by the way).  We still have a lot of cows out of those bulls.  We bought in a couple of true ChiAngus bulls around 2000 that did a good job for us in terms of both steer production and replacement females (contrary to what most folks think about Chis).

We had a very unfortunate accident with one of the Chi bulls that quickly turned out to haunt us a little.  After his second breeding season, he got in a fight during the summer in our bull pasture.  Apparently he he was coming up a steep bank out of a tank after getting a drink. All we could figure out what a bull came stright down at him and all of his weight was on both back legs.  They both broke like two green tree limbs.  We liked the bull, but he hadn't had any calves hit the finish line yet.  The next spring, a calf out of his first crop won a Chi class at Houston and the next year one of the calves from his last crop was a breed champion at Houston.  He is the only bull we've ever had that we truly wish we had collected semen on.

Current bulls we use include a couple of Shamrock X Anchor sons, a Strictly Business x Angus, a couple of Lifeline x Angus sons, and a new Meyer son + several Angus bulls we use on heifers.  We bought a couple of Angus bulls out of Sitz bloodlines (top and bottom) that I'm curious to see how they do in terms of raising females.  Sitz angus cows are pretty nice looking in my opinion for something of an alternative to the more popular Angus lines used in club calf production.