Pictures from my farm

Help Support Steer Planet:

genes

As many of you know, my University is halfway across the country from my home and farm, so I don't get there very often  :-\  But last week I did :)  and by the beauty of digital cameras I was able to take hundreds of pictures (back in the film days my Mom always got mad at me for having more pictures of the cows than we did of people  ;D).  Thought I would share some.

Starting with some scenery (this is East Central Saskatchewan btw).......

DSCN0947.jpg

The heifers stampeding home one night
DSCN1091.jpg

DSCN0920.jpg

DSCN0924.jpg

The herd
DSCN0992.jpg

genes

Now some of the calves I liked

Heifer out of my best show heifer I had
DSCN1063.jpg

Another of mine that is not super, but I am pretty impressed with considering the Mom was supposed to be hamburger long before becoming a cow (then she got bred, had the chance to calve, and has now earned a stay)
DSCN1055.jpg

The blue one I like (of course, I am partial to the colour too)
DSCN1038.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

My one "clubby" cow (WMW granddaughter)....
DSCN0996.jpg

...and her heifer (terrible angle...why can't the darn things stand up the hill ::))
DSCN0998.jpg

The best steer calf.  Again, terrible photography, but hey, I try.  Dad said he looked a lot better before but he was pretty sick for a while there.  But, I still picked him out off in the distance as soon as I spotted him, so that's always a good sign.
DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1023.jpg

DSCN1025.jpg

And my old Mitsy calved while I was there.  She was my first show heifer ever....putting her at 14 I guess.  This might be her last year  :'(
DSCN0601.jpg

genes

And finally the ones that are just too darn cute to leave out :D

Love the white chinny chin chin
DSCN0935.jpg

DSCN0943.jpg

Yum  ;)
DSCN0773.jpg

The cow isn't so pretty, but the calf is as cute as any :p
DSCN0991.jpg

Hello you
DSCN1013.jpg

DSCN1029.jpg

Really cute face mark.....too bad for the evil eyes (they aren't the most amicable family)
DSCN1011.jpg

DSCN1052.jpg

My Blue had a little blue1  Yay!  It's got the sweetest little face
DSCN1048.jpg

DSCN1046.jpg

DSCN1040.jpg

red

Wonderful pictures Genes!
Makes me feel I was there w/ you!

Red  (clapping)

Gypsy

I bet you get very homesick when you are off at the university.  You have a beautiful farm and lots of great animals.  Does your family farm as well as raise cattle? And if so, what grows well there?  Besides the obvious answer of grass. ;D 

DL

genes - great pictures - thanks for the tour. The hairy little thing on the right of the black calf looks remarkable like a black Beefpaca - they are very rare you know!

genes

DL - So that's what he is!!    (clapping) I had been trying to figure out his breed.  (dog)

Gypsy - I do get homesick sometimes and a huge part of it is the animals.    We don't really farm much anymore, as it's getting so you have to be big to make it in grain and we just aren't.  Can't afford the big equipment for just a couple of quarters, so bought extra cows instead.  Dad just grows some oats and millet and stuff for greenfeed and feed.  The common crops are just cereals and oilseeds (canola and peas).  We don't have a long enough growing season for corn or anything like that.

Frostback - Was it the landscapes or the frosty backed cows that made you homesick? :)  Where are you from?

Red - I think I missed posting the longhorn picture for you.  Rob thought she was way too cool
DSCN0600.jpg

frostback

It was the landscape that got me.I am from south of Calgary but live in Colorado now. Have not been home in 3 years and just missing it. I have cows down here thank goodness so that keeps me somewhat sane.

red

(lol)

Frostback- define sane for me! I'm trying to figure how far off somewhat I'm at!

Red (clapping)

chambero

Pretty country and cattle. 

How do you get your cattle through the winter that far north?  Do you gather them together and feed all hay, etc?

genes

We feed hay, or moreso in the last few years, a lot of greenfeed (we use oats and millet, swathed and baled up, head on, before ripe).  A couple of years ago Dad bought a big round bale shredder and just loves it.  For the first part of winter he'll just have them in a field close to home then drives out and shreds on the ground.  Young/old/thin ones stay closer, and get grain.  Since we calve when it is still winter (start about mid-Feb) they need to be put in the corrals with shelters so as not to freeze.  In there, they'll get hay and grain.  Continue to supplement grain and forage after they calf until something worthwhile grows, so it can be awhile sometimes. 

Another thing people sometimes do, and we have on occasion, is swath graze crops in winter.  The cattle will dig through the snow to find it (actually quite funny to see a field with paths in rows through the snow.  Sometimes it's done by accident when the weather just didn't cooperate with harvest, but other times people plan for it.

genes

I'm adding some more, though just of other stuff other than the cows now.

A couple of the horse
DSCN0574-1.jpg

DSCN0696.jpg

Rob had never ridden before.  He did pretty well, and Eclipse was a pretty good boy for him
DSCN1107.jpg

genes

And some scenery

A church by the golf course
DSCN0649.jpg

An abandoned fallen down barn at my neighbours
DSCN0865.jpg

DSCN0868.jpg

DSCN0816.jpg

DSCN0824.jpg

The quintessential prairie elevator that is actually hard to find these days.  Most were just knocked down.  Ones like these are closed
DSCN0812.jpg

Hollow in my pasture
DSCN0523.jpg

Grazing
DSCN0519.jpg

DSCN0917.jpg

Here's why our lisence plates say "Land of Living Skies"
DSCN0644.jpg

DSCN0648.jpg

DSCN0787.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

DSCN0790.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

DSCN0965.jpg

This one has an old tractor that didn't show up as much as I would have liked, but the cloud part is still neat
DSCN1067.jpg

shortyjock89

Wow, those are some awesome pictures!  (clapping)  They kind of remind me of home here in Illinois...funny how two places so far away from each other can share some of the same beautiful features..

red

Awesome Genes!!!

Thanks so much for sharing. I loved the picture of the elevator & the horse coming at you.

Red