Pictures: My Son's Investment!

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

Last year my oldest Son Grant was in his first year of 4-H and his steer Mater won our County Fair.  With his winnings and a little help from Mom & Dad, we purchased a 1/2 Blood Sim bred second calf heifer.  She just calved 2 days ago so I thought I would share some pictures.  He is excited to have his first calf on the ground.  The cow Milky Way is out of the Simi bull called Kodiak.  The bull calf is sired by Heatwave.

RSC

Attachments

• Milky Way 1.jpg
    Milky Way 1.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1,615
  • Milky Way 2.jpg
    Milky Way 2.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 1,640
  • Milky Way 3.jpg
    Milky Way 3.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 1,562
  • Milky Way 4.jpg
    Milky Way 4.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 1,555

justme

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping)Isn't great seeing your kids get excited about calves!  My daughter is in her 2nd year of 4-H and has 4 calves on the ground and 3 more to go.  Poor girl had terrible strep and cann't wait until afterschool to see her 2 new additions.  YEAH!  3 heifers on the farm so far!!!!  We were at 27 straight bull calves since last year.

cattlejunky

Nice cow and calf RSC.  We just bought a cow that looks very similiar to yours.   A meyer daughter.

Attachments

• 100_2656small.JPG
    100_2656small.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,163

RSC

Jill said:
Really nice calf, is he keeping it or showing it?always the big decision.
Hardwork can get a calf of less quality to compete at the County Fair level.  He will not be old enough for State Fair or Aksarben for a few years.  When your trying to build a reputation for a bid-off sale, it's tough to do so if you hold back your best.  So I guess the answer to your question is, if he turns out like I think he will he is going to be sold.  I plan on letting him turn the profit on the steer back into a show heifer.

RSC

Jill

That's how we do it here, next year will be the 1st year my kids are old enough to go to State Fair, can't hardly wait.  Tell your son congratulations, he has a really nice calf.

Telos

RSC, Jill and all. You guys are blessed with great kids and really good cattle. Does it get any better then that?

RSC..That Heat Wave calf is pretty KOOOOOOOL!

AAOK

Great looking calf.  I'd say you found a good cow.  Keep building that herd!

RSC

Just for Reference: The picture below is Grant, the proud owner of this pair. Picture is not real clear!

RSC

Attachments

• AGR Grant Talkin Molly A Small.jpg
    AGR Grant Talkin Molly A Small.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,229

kanshow

(clapping) (clapping) He's doing a great job!!!  I love those kid/calf pictures.

garybob

Those Black Simmis with a white blaze are so pretty. I don't understand why Simmental Breeders, with the exception of the Fleckvieh folks, have completely bred out the "Blazes and Baldies". Here, small herds of 30 cows dominate the landscape. Cattlemen here sell calves.Since we don't have access to sufficient grain for finishing, we specialize in feeder-calf production. One thing I've noticed is that, if You took a goggle-eyed Simmi Bull and used him on some good Angus cows, his calves, because they LOOKED crossbred, would bring more per pound (and weigh the same) than the calves out of a solid-black Simmental (or other black-Exotic), simply because that white blaze would indicate to the buyers "Hybrid Vigor".

Ever notice that cows that ain't "show-bred", always seem to produce the best calves when mated to these clubby bulls?

GB

justme

Here's my daughters investment!  For those of you that attended Maine Jr. Nationals in Springfield, MO a few years back, my daughter had a tinty little heifer that was on a bucket.  Well, here's her second calf.  Its about 2 hours old.  The mama (Susie Lou) is a Witch Dr. and this heifer is a Majors Money Man....she's named Betty Lou (named after the shotgun on 30 point buck lol)

Attachments

• betty Lou.jpg
    betty Lou.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 734

justme

The kids are fighting over her lol.  She's so friendly and loves attention. (thumbsup)

red

to both RSC & Justme, it's great to see kids that want to work w/ their animals & continue growing their own herd. A big thumbs up from Red & Woody!  (thumbsup) (thumbsup)

Red