poppin hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

lcc10

i have a shorthorn with hair that is a good 4 inches long .. it is so long it lays flat almost how do i make it "pop"

Bradenh

take some clippers that you wont screw up with. and clip all of that long straight hair off of him. just like a little bit. its like mowing the grass. clip it and it will take on more life when it grows back

lcc10

omg . there is NO way i would cut it all off . we are talking a heifer, major shows in jan, feb, march . i almost passed out at this post . she's a AWESOME heifer i just cant ever make her hair do what i want

Bradenh

lcc10 said:
omg . there is NO way i would cut it all off . we are talking a heifer, major shows in jan, feb, march . i almost passed out at this post . she's a AWESOME heifer i just cant ever make her hair do what i want
read my post before you have a heart attack there junior. you cant graze over the top if it? i dont see why you cant unless your blind then i can see a reason to stay off of the clippers. just go over the hair and clip off the long straight hair as i said before

lcc10

i will be attending ft.worth in just a month ? she will be fitted . this is not an option , maybe after majors ? but not til then

TXSimmy

i dont think you understand what SS 95 is saying....hes not saying slick shear the calves just graze over the longer hairs

lcc10

i understand what he is saying . that is what i was going to do and i got her from someone who has won ALOT and he said not to . to leave it be and work it daily . i do & it just doesnt pop !

FutureBreeder2013

lcc10 said:
i will be attending ft.worth in just a month ? she will be fitted . this is not an option , maybe after majors ? but not til then

Show Stopper isn't  suggesting you cut it all off,  he is saying that a "pre-fit" clip would help the hair pop more.

Ex: Mowing the grass. When you mow the grass you don't cut it down to the dirt, you just make it look nice and fresh.

Bradenh

we are taking a steer to fort-worth and we just clipped all of his stray long hairs off on friday. it is really good for their hair to trim it up about once a month. we will do it to him one more time before he leaves for fortworth. he looks like a YAK

lcc10

well if any of yall are familar with shorthorn im sure you know the rasor family and sarge .. he will be clipping her in 2 weeks & fitting her for the show oh am i so glad  ( : but i am not gonna cut her hair he wouldn't be too happy with me ..

Bradenh

im lost? why would you put a post on here asking for advice when you dont want to listen. if this godly rasor fellow knows. then ask him not us. i dont know what you want us to tell you. u asked how to make the hair pop. if his plan isnt popping the hair i think its about time to listen to others. assuming u still want good hair? what answer do you want us to give you.

Bradenh

this is the calf we are going to fortworth with  and we are always clipping on him. for a quarter blood brangus. this sucker has some mean hair if you ask me

Attachments

• 1126101710.jpg
    1126101710.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 163

lcc10

she is mine .

& i have been told by some ppl to try diff stuff on her hair but never to cut it .. i mean yes she has been trimmed (etc. etc.) but they (my ag teacher) want her hair "longer" before sarge fits her, which it is LONG, but ok . and SS 95 i was asking for ways to make it pop, being as cutting it in my case isnt an option im sorry i cant take your advice but im sure my dad & ag teacher would have a sh*t fit if they showed up and I MYSELF had clipped her hair ( : i'd actually like to see there face on this one .

Bradenh

pay sarge to clip it off. the junk hair is going to come off in fort worth regardless of what they say. if this guy is a fitter. its coming off. difference is get it off now and have healthy replace it. or clip it in fort worth and have no more hair grow back there. its you choice. good luck with her. im done on this topic. when you want some healthy hair in the future learn to clip and you will see worlds of difference. that long hair will never pop for you until you get it under control and clipped off. just a scissor width of hair can get it under control

lcc10

and im pretty sure you are RUDE ! and i said she would be clipped BEFORE fort worth . i was just wondering if anyone has any tips for me from now til then .

bart

before you go to calling the kid out you need to understand what he is saying. ss 95 was exactly 100% right. no way around that. you are going to wish you clipped some hair off. he never said anything derogatory to you. he gave up on you because i guess it just wasnt worth his time

3dfarms

What is your daily routine with the heifer?  What are you using on her hair daily?  Maybe from that we can give you some other advice.  How long have you been showing?

lcc10

3dfarms i have showed for 3 years maybe ? just never had a heifer with hair like this . ..

she is kept in her pen with shavings in the day time & in a grass pen at night

i rinse in the am & pm and dry her both times . ( the way you are suppose to at about a 45 degree angle) & around noon she gets blowed out again

i use kleen sheen halfed with vinegar .. & an olive oil spray (its a hair product for ethnic ppl)