Potential genetic defect in Shorthorn cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

sue

This thread has been very helpful  thanks steerplanet!

fullblood

just pulled a all broad/Eskimo Joe heifer with both back feet looking like the pic on the shorthorn web site??? she is alive what now to do with her???

sue

fullblood said:
just pulled a all broad/Eskimo Joe heifer with both back feet looking like the pic on the shorthorn web site??? she is alive what now to do with her???
Keep feeding for awhile... then call me and we can have a nice dinner ;)

Veal Parm over  pasta ,  nice bottle of northern italian red unless u go spicy on the sauce,,, then I recomend a southern sicilian red ( Librando) , crunchy bread salad ....  lemon gelato to finish.

OH Breeder

fullblood said:

ASA website has instructions on how to handle sampling etc if that is what you are asking. Other wise, it seems they develop just not growthy at all.

Sue- your making me hungry and thirsty all at the same time.

DL

fullblood said:

classic digital subluxation in an ET calf, full sib is normal - DNA from these calves will be very valuable  - we have it under control :)

Attachments

• DS in an ET calf.jpg
    DS in an ET calf.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,529

loveRedcows

sue said:

Ditto!  Just finished wading through all 22 pages of this topic.  Would appreciate DL keeping us up to date on progress.  You folks are way more knowledgeable than I am, and without discussions such as this I too would have never though "genetic defect" if presented with a calf with symptoms such as described.  Even though testing for genetic defects can sometimes be expensive I believe it's much cheaper than losing a calf.  When you're a small (but dedicated) breeder losing even one calf through ignorance is costly.

DL

loveRedcows said:
sue said:

Ditto!  Just finished wading through all 22 pages of this topic.  Would appreciate DL keeping us up to date on progress.  You folks are way more knowledgeable than I am, and without discussions such as this I too would have never though "genetic defect" if presented with a calf with symptoms such as described.  Even though testing for genetic defects can sometimes be expensive I believe it's much cheaper than losing a calf.  When you're a small (but dedicated) breeder losing even one calf through ignorance is costly.

Thanks :) I agree that being able to provide this information in a timely fashion not only improves our ability to obtain samples but also alerts people to potential issues that most would think bad luck, bad karma etc. The combination of the internet and the amazing advances in molecular genetics enable us to identify the genetic basis of these abnormalities so much quicker than even 10 years ago.

sue

It does look the same as some pictures on this thread.

DL

sue said:
It does look the same as some pictures on this thread.

I didn't look at that thread - certainly similar - I'll check it out :)

DL

Stay tuned for a fabulous 3D CT scan image that will knock your sox off :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DL

OK folks - look at the legs of the calf at the top of this page and then look at both the x-ray of the same leg and a 3D CT scan of both hind limbs. We did x-rays, total body CT scan (below the neck) and full necropsy - the only abnormality was of the distal hind limbs - The 3D of the hind limbs is a digital reconstruction with all muscle, tendons, hide etc removed. Incredibly this is the first full work up on a calf with distal subluxation despite reports  and rumors over the past 2 or more years. Thanks to fullblood for doing the right thing  (clapping)

Attachments

• DS222 RH AP small.jpg
    DS222 RH AP small.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 306
  • DS222 small.jpg
    DS222 small.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 539

fullblood

Thank you Dr Kaiser (DL)  you made this so easy to do. thank,s again. great pic would not believe the difference for live  to ct scan

DL

fullblood said:
Thank you Dr Kaiser (DL)  you made this so easy to do. thank,s again. great pic would not believe the difference for live  to ct scan

My pleasure - isn't the digital CT wild!

sue

fullblood said:
fullblood thank you for posting. i joked a little with you at first,,, only because I know you. However your loss will help many. 

DL

sue said:
fullblood said:
fullblood thank you for posting. i joked a little with you at first,,, only because I know you. However your loss will help many. 
absolutely right sue - the most important thing to identifying genetic defects is to determine what the pathology is - is what is normal and what is abnormal - in this case it was very important to do a full necropsy (as no one has done it before) to make sure there were no other associated abnormalities.The Xray and CT were useful to identify the limb abnormalities.

Amazingly, with the exception of aj, there have been no other xrays taken....

If you have a Shorthorn or Shorthorn cross calf with distal hind limb abnormality - do the right thing ...

coyote

Is there a common ancestry to Aj's calf and fullblood's calf?