Potential genetic defect in Shorthorn cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

DL.....I was thinking about keeping him around as a mascot.......just like a couple of the Herford breeders did in the 50's(untill they figured out the dwarfism cause).

DL

aj said:
DL.....I was thinking about keeping him around as a mascot.......just like a couple of the Herford breeders did in the 50's(untill they figured out the dwarfism cause).

aj - I like it - he could wear a jersey of your favorite (or least favorite) team and parade around on homecoming

DL

aj said:
Knabe.......oh my!

appears there are new rules from up north - never hijack or divert a thread - that is what PMs are  for - clearly there are no purple tube tops up there - maybe too cold?

DL

DL said:
colosteers said:
To whom it may concern / FWIW

I guess that if some Postmasters know that you are sending Dr. Beever meat and ear notch samples in the mail, the Postmaster will make

[size=10pt]

Just to let everybody know - the stew meat has arrived!!

Reminder the best way to send samples is via UPS with a cold pack

Keep those samples coming and thanks to everyone who took the time to take pictures, xrays, samples etc

DL

For all you disbelievers, doubters and messenger shooters

check out page 26 in the latest Shorthorn Country

aj did you notice it said decreased growth - sure goes along with your affected beast

aj

Yah....DL he is a dink. He looked fairly normal at weaning but man he has really dinked out now. Maybe I will stuff him and KSU will display him in a lobby........I'l be famous.......We'll call him hoytdawg.......yeah!

Davis Shorthorns

aj said:
Yah....DL he is a dink. He looked fairly normal at weaning but man he has really dinked out now. Maybe I will stuff him and KSU will display him in a lobby........I'l be famous.......We'll call him hoytdawg.......yeah!

you get him stuffed and I will put him in my little office area.  !!!

DL

Davis Shorthorns said:
aj said:

you get him stuffed and I will put him in my little office area.  !!!

Great idea but his back legs go to Beever so you will have to create little back legs for him :)

sue

I didnt my country yet ... I did notice Canadian Shorthorn Association has a post about this DS . 

AJ - Cow hide prices where down a bit last I knew? you might just go ahead and tank this one?  Again thanks . I never doubted the intergrity of DL . so thanks again

firesweepranch

DL said:

aj did you notice it said decreased growth - sure goes along with your affected beast

For those of us that do not get the Shorthorn Country, care to share???

DL

firesweepranch said:
DL said:

For those of us that do not get the Shorthorn Country, care to share???

firesweep - pretty much the same thing the posted on the web site in early Jan - if I can get my scanner to work I'll scan it and post it
otherwise ....

Go the the ASA web page
under  News and updates...

Reporting Abnormal Calves.
click here

Click there and you will see this

NOTICE: Reporting Abnormal Calves - Digital Sublazation (DS)

-Reporting Abnormal Calves

click on Reporting abnormal calves and you will down load a pdf describing the issue we have been talking about and pictures

BTW I think they meant subluxation not sublazation

kfacres

hey DL... had a lamb born today that kinda reminds me of PHA in cattle.. super full of swelling and fluid.. big lamb...  I'm not sure how she got it out...  lived most of today... 

Was the result of breeding a daughter of our only purchased ewe back to her grandson

DL

Cut the BS said:
hey DL... had a lamb born today that kinda reminds me of PHA in cattle.. super full of swelling and fluid.. big lamb...  I'm not sure how she got it out...  lived most of today... 

Was the result of breeding a daughter of our only purchased ewe back to her grandson

You know the routine - I have another article somewhere that I can't find at this moment - could be virus, could be genetic - lamb needs a necropsy -

Theriogenology. 2002 Oct 1;58(6):1219-28.
Fetal anasarca (Hydrops foetalis) associated with lymphoid tissue agenesis possibly due to an autosomal recessive gene defect in sheep.
Monteagudo L, Luján L, Tejedor T, Climent S, Acín C, Navarro A, Arrugaa MV.
Source

Department of Anatomy, Embryology and Genetics, Veterinary Faculty, University of Zaragoza, Spain. [email protected]
Abstract

Fourteen hydrops fetalis cases appeared in a sheep flock in the Soria province of Central Spain in two lambing seasons in 2000. There were no previous cases of hydrops fetalis in this flock. Normal delivery could not be completed because fetal weights ranged from 12 to 16 kg and fetuses had massive subcutaneous edema. Five affected pregnant females were studied. The complete lack of lymph nodes in the fetuses was the most outstanding finding, this anomaly likely being the origin of generalized fluid accumulation. Karyotypes were normal. A blind protocol of parentage testing was performed by means of DNA microsatellite analysis, and one of the five existing rams was found to be the only compatible sire of the affected fetuses. This male had been selected from the same flock while the other rams had all been acquired from other farms. The first cases appeared when this ram began breeding, and no cases were observed after replacing it. Male and female fetuses were affected in similar proportions. The existence of a recessive allele affecting normal lymph node embryonic development in this flock is proposed as the most appropriate hypothesis. As a consequence, the use of rams from different farms is indicated as an efficient emergency measure in similar situations, while the affected flock should be excluded from selection programs as long as the anomalous gene remains unidentified

sue

aj said:
Well.......a giant painting of him then. :)

Photo shop the  back legs in and then call CJ brown?    ??  Matt's Aunt does a nice job too.

J

JTM

Just wanted to say that this breed is showing it's strong suits when all these people advocate and show a real concern for a potential genetic defect. Also, cudos to Patrick Wall and the American Shorthorn Association for being proactive and publishing that article in order to give breeders a "heads up" for what to look for. Hopefully this will all get figured out here soon! (clapping)