Prolapsed Cow, What to Do?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Desperado

DL,
I have a cow that has had only one calf, and she is due to calve again on march 25. The only problem is that she has a prolapsed rectum, initially it was a small prolapse only an inch or two, now it is the size    of  a pair of softballs. I have several questions on the matter, 1. what does this  mean, does she have an abnormally large calf? 2. What can i do about this. I would also like to note that we do not have a vet in our area that practices on large animal, the one we used to have is now doing only embryo transfers.

CPL

Do you have a local university extension that you can contact. They may know of a vet close to your area that could help you on a one time needed basis. I would say get her looked at or it will only get worse.

DL

This is not a good situation - many cows late in gestation will prolapse a bit of rectum or vagina when they lie down (because of increased intra-abdominal pressure) but to prolapse this amount of rectum with 2 months to go is clearly abnormal. It would be good if you could have her examined - even a vet who only does ET work might palpate a cow for you and give you a prognosis

Rectal prolapse in sheep is pretty common and probably heritable (and related to docking tails real short in show lambs), rectal prolapse in cows is not really that common

There are several concerns - does it go back in when she stand up? If not I would suggest there is pretty big trouble - depending on where you are a piece of rectum that size could frostbite and the tissue die if it doesn't go back when she stands.

Is she lame or lying down more than you would expect? Are you positive of the date?

It is possible to decrease the rumen fill (and decrease intra abdominal filling and pressure) by increasing the concentrate and decreasing the hay in her diet - I would be hesitant to do much unless she was examined ...

Not to be the bearer of doom but if she calves I would not re-breed her - these problems do not get better with time.

Rocky Hill Simmental

Have you changed her diet recently? My sister had a show heifer have a prolasped rectum at the fair one year. He brought her to the vet and had it stitched up. We never showed her again though. The vet said that stress and rich alfalfa hay caused it. We never bought any more alfalfa after that.

She wasn't bred at the time (she was only 15 months old) but she's had calves now and she never had any more troubles.

Our vet if it's not very serious, you can push it back in yourself with soapy water. We couldn't get her's back in though. Hopefully this works with your cow.

I hope you can get her looked at, especially since she's bred. I'd keep a close eye on her. 

knabe

might as well tell him about episiotomies at this point.  done a couple of those in the field.  not fun.

red

Zach-
from Merck's Vet
tn_repcp01.jpg

Eversion and prolapse of the vagina, with or without prolapse of the cervix, occurs most commonly in cattle and sheep. A form of vaginal prolapse, different in pathogenesis, also occurs in dogs (see vaginal hyperplasia, Pyometra). In cattle and sheep, the condition is usually seen in mature females in the last trimester of pregnancy. Predisposing factors include increased intra-abdominal pressure associated with increased size of the pregnant uterus, intra-abdominal fat, or rumen distention superimposed upon relaxation and softening of the pelvic girdle and associated soft-tissue structures in the pelvic canal and perineum mediated by increased circulating concentrations of estrogens and relaxin during late pregnancy. Intra-abdominal pressure is increased in recumbent animals. Added to this, sheep tend to face uphill when lying down, so that gravity assists vaginal eversion and prolapse.
The prolapse begins as an intussusception-like folding of the vaginal floor just cranial to the vestibulovaginal junction. Discomfort caused by this eversion, coupled with irritation and swelling of the exposed mucosa, results in straining and more extensive prolapse. Eventually the entire vagina may be prolapsed, with the cervix conspicuous at the most caudal part of the prolapsus. The bladder or loops of intestine may be contained within the prolapsed vagina. As the bladder moves into the prolapsed vagina, the urethra may be occluded. The bladder then fills and enlarges, which hinders replacement of the prolapsed vagina unless the bladder is first drained. The bladder may even rupture with potentially fatal consequences.
Although most common in mature animals in late pregnancy, vaginal prolapse occurs in young, nonpregnant ewes and heifers, especially in fat animals. Predisposing factors include grazing estrogenic plants (especially Trifolium subterraneum ) or exogenous administration of estrogenic compounds (usually in the form of growth-promotant implants). Cervicovaginal prolapse is more common in stabled than in pastured animals, suggesting that lack of exercise may be a contributing factor. Vaginal prolapse may also be a problem in cows subjected to repeated superovulation for embryo recovery. A genetic component in the pathogenesis of cervicovaginal prolapse is likely because a breed predisposition exists in both cattle (Brahman, Brahman crossbreds, Hereford) and sheep (Kerry Hill, Romney Marsh). In pigs, vaginal prolapse is often associated with estrogenic activity of mycotoxins.
For replacement of the prolapsed vagina, an epidural anesthetic is first administered. The organ is washed and rinsed, and the bladder is emptied if necessary. Usually, this can be achieved by elevating the prolapsus to allow straightening of the urethra; occasionally, needle puncture through the vaginal wall may be necessary. The vagina is well lubricated (glycerol provides lubrication and reduces congestion and edema by osmotic action) and replaced and then held in position until it feels warm again. Retention is achieved by insertion of a Buhner suture—a deeply buried, circumferential suture placed around the vestibulum to provide support at the point at which the initial eversion of the vaginal wall occurs. The Buhner suture has largely superseded earlier attempts to prevent prolapse by various patterns of sutures in the vulvar lips (which do not prevent the initial eversion of the vagina into the vestibulum) or by methods that relied on placement of a retention device within the vagina (which tend to cause discomfort and further straining). Buhner sutures should generally be removed before parturition to prevent extensive laceration. Although the cervical os may be edematous and inflamed, cervicovaginal prolapse seldom interrupts pregnancy and does not specifically predispose to dystocia or postpartum uterine prolapse, which has a different etiology. Vaginal prolapse in sheep may occur simultaneously in many ewes as a herd problem, making surgery impractical. In these cases, use of a commercially available vaginal retention device (a bearing retainer) may be useful. Sheep may lamb without mishap with these devices in place. Permanent fixation techniques (cervicopexy or vaginopexy) have been described in which the cervix or vaginal wall is anchored to other pelvic structures. They may be useful in individual cases of chronic or recurrent prolapse.

DL

zach said:
justme said:
Zach...weren't you farmboy a while back? ;)

i lead a double life.....  ;D

zach - the concept is basically something falls out from where it belongs! The description above is of a prolapsed vagina, but you can (not you personally :) ) a uterus, a vagina, a rectum and probably other things we may not want to discuss :(
- in your double life are you really a spy??