property reassments

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

property reassements are handed out at various times of the year.  mine is in the fall, and is limited to a gain, by prop 13, to 1.2% per year. 
my property tax for 5 acres and 1250 ft2 house that has a 30 year old roof in sad state, wood siding that is rotting, lp gas,  is about $7000 per year.  this include about 800 for ag water, 100 for university upgrades and property purchase just down the street and some other stuff i didn't vote for, but non property owners did, especially the city which gets to vote on their parcels always, of course, giving themselves more money.

4 of my neighbors purchased their house for almost twice as much as me and they pay about $13,000 (with the same size house) as value automatically repegged upon transfer.  new construction requires a sewer and water hook up fee that just increased from $2500, to over $30,000.  that was last year.  glad we don't have to pay that.

some folks in virginia received a 300% increase!!!

what's yours

showsteerdlux

I'm not sure but I don't think ours has gone that high. i do know that afew years ago the same thing happened due to large scale development but alot of people raised cain until it was switched back for existing property that had not been changed in at least five years. It has gotten ridiculous though how fast they can change it.

Doc

Mine is assesed on 1700 ft2 house(1983 model), barn, & 7 acres. I live in Sumner cnty(middle TN) , TN, not in city limits , but end of my road is. My taxes due at the end of Feb. are $1,400.00 . I have 100 acres in Humpreys cnty(west TN), which is 98 miles from my driveway , those taxes are just under $600.00. It has a 16 x 80 house trlr & 2 small barns.

cattlejunky

Knabe, Indiana just had a big revolt on property reassment and taxes.  Several people picketed the Governors office and the State Capital.  It worked!  The Indiana General Assembly is in session now and a new plan has passed.  They ordered that property owners be reimbursed and only pay the 2006 property tax rate.  We just received reimbursement.  One group was trying to repeal property taxes all together.  The complaint being you never really own your home if they can take it away for not paying your property taxes.  The Governor formed a study group and the came up with a different plan that is not bad. They are also talking about getting rid of Township Assesors that are not properly trained.  Go to Advance America website. http://www.advanceamerica.com/
I do not know all the specifics of the new plan, but it does have help for farmers and farm land.
Our take on 68 acres, 1700 sq ft, bdr home we have 3 barns(2 new/1old) was $2000 up $300 from last year

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Ouch, 7,000 a year.  How do they expect people to make a living.  I understand what our tax dollars do, but I also see the wasteful spending. 

knabe

hillary clinton
231 earmarks, the leader!

the repub from alaska is also pretty bad, if not historically the worst other than robert byrd or jesse helms.

Jill

For house barn and 26 acres we pay 5000.00 per year.
Something I have never understood, we have a huge intermodel system coming to Gardner about a mile north of my property, BNSF has come in and purchased around 1000 acres and they are trying to decide whether or not to annex all of this area, they have pegged a 4 lane road to pass right in front of my property, since we don't live in the city, we do not get a vote on anything that is going to take place, however every person in the city renting an apartment, duplex, mobile home etc (and there are a lot of them in Gardner) can with 1 vote change the town most of us have spent our lives in, I will never understand why if you don't own property, why do they allow you to vote on such major issues?

knabe

because property ownership will be illegal.

with the death tax, it isn't going to take much to whittle down some sizable estates rather quickly.

you need to become your own city, quick, and pen THEM in.

remember, growth is MANDATED by the government to keep them in power.  growth is fiction.  growth is from 20-50 million illegals and they want more.

they actually want more, this is the REAL issue, they want MORE and land owners have what they want.

it's so clear it's ridiculous.

shorthorns r us

knabe said:
growth is from 20-50 million illegals and they want more.

are you saying that elected officials want more illegal immigrants?  that may be painting with a broad brush.  can't buy that one?

knabe

yes i am, it finances the building of houses which provides property tax revenues and is mandated in California.  if they didn't mandate growth, population would essentially be stagnant.  study after study indicates they want about 60-100 million more workers over the course of 20 years. the government is pre building them housing.  they know that an empty house still generates more revenue than if it was farmed.

by giving them amensty, and changing the law, technically they will not be breaking the law, and this nation will forever be changed.

i'm still not clear why a static population is bad for the economy.  by importing low skilled labor, we are essentially guaranteeing there will be less progress in almost every work force they enter, not only that, but wages will go down, forcing more subsidized housing, other assistance, the need for more illegals coming in to undercut their wages, it's a vicious race to the bottom and has been occurring for centuries. 

who really needs illegals other than to undercut existing wages for jobs americans will do.  it's the rate that is always the issue whether it's in america or any other country.

i think the ratio of senate and house officials that want more illegals is probably around 60%.  in my mind, that's 60% too many.  you don't think ted kennedy, mccain, edwards, clinton, mel martinez, bush etc don't want more?  they openly demand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dutch pride

We pay $2900 per yr. for a 2200sq ft. 30yr old home, 5.75 acres with a small barn.  $1272 of that is for education. The rest is for county and township fees. Western MI.

We choose to send kids to a private christian school but still have to pay for local public schools. Sure would like to see a voucher system to pay for education but it will be too late to help us as our youngest is a Jr. in high school this year. Do others also pay for public schools though property taxes? Any other thoughts on voucher system for education?

DLZ

cattlejunky

Dutch Pride,  Indiana is about the same.  I would estimate that about 80% goes to our school (I do not have the exact figure)  The rest is to the library, and county.  We do not have a voucher system.  I do think that would be benificial to you and others that have kids in private schools.  Where in Western Michigan are you.  My brother-in-law use to live near Hart.  I know he has said our property taxes are much cheaper that Michigans.

Jill

dutch pride said:
We pay $2900 per yr. for a 2200sq ft. 30yr old home, 5.75 acres with a small barn.  $1272 of that is for education. The rest is for county and township fees. Western MI.

We choose to send kids to a private christian school but still have to pay for local public schools. Sure would like to see a voucher system to pay for education but it will be too late to help us as our youngest is a Jr. in high school this year. Do others also pay for public schools though property taxes? Any other thoughts on voucher system for education?

DLZ
My parents were in your shoes the whole 13 years I went to school and I am 47, they were trying to get the voucher system passed back then and nothing much has changed, that tells you how long they have been talking about this.  Our public schools in Kansas are also funded through property taxes.  I never went to public school and it was probably one of the hardest decision when my oldest son started school, but with 3 the cost was just too high for the Christian Schools in our area, if the voucher system went through my children would be in a private school in a heart beat. 

jason

You want cheap property taxes, move to Branson, MO.  My parents own a house down there valued around $160,000 and taxes are only like $600.

dutch pride

cattlejunky said:
Dutch Pride,  Indiana is about the same.  I would estimate that about 80% goes to our school (I do not have the exact figure)  The rest is to the library, and county.  We do not have a voucher system.  I do think that would be benificial to you and others that have kids in private schools.  Where in Western Michigan are you.  My brother-in-law use to live near Hart.  I know he has said our property taxes are much cheaper that Michigans.

We a farther south, Ottawa Co. Just outside town called Zeeland, between Holland and Grand Rapids.

DLZ