Question about halter breaking an ornery bull calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

kidsandkows

So we have this bull calf we want to show (hopefully), we have been working with him and a heifer they have halters on they are dragging them this has been about close to a week we have tied them about 4 or 5 days now. The bull is about 600 lbs n he hates for you to be up by his head or neck. He swings his head and once or twice has sort of charged at us. If we are way off his head and pull on the rope he will walk a little but if you get up on his head he gets crazy. The heifer is already walking pretty good and you can brush her all over. So I know we just started but I dont want to take a chance of messing this bull up and making him mean. Cuz someday he is gonna be out on pasture and I dont want him hunting me down. So should I be patient and keep working on it? Should I try a nose ring at this point? What other suggestions do you guys have?

frostback

What are you doing to them when you "work" them. If he is tie broke I would start washing and blowing him. Leave his head alone for now, work on the other end. Go forward with the water and blower just until he starts to move and just keep trying to take it closer to his head slowly within days and see if that desensitizes him to it. When you move him do it in short distances at this point. Wash on one side of a pen and blow in another. Just ask small things from him. Dont try to pet him, dont look him in the eye when you are leading him, little things that could make a difference. I would move the heifer away first and then move him to her, they like being together.

HACC

If we get one on the fight, we just spend extra time on the wash rack hosing him down.  We work our way up to the front and end up spraying his neck, face, etc (carefull not to get any in his ears and make sure he's tie with his head up). Just keep doing it over and over until he starts to relax. 

Same goes for the blowing- you'll be surprised at how fast he'll settle down

kidsandkows

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes we are just rinsing and blowing right now as far as he will let us. We will keep at it.

Thanks again

Boot Jack Bulls

I would advise not to ring him yet. I break and show our bulls, and I never put the ring in until the bull calf  is broke to show. I try to get them show ready before I even think of ringing them. I even try to get the small ones in a show or two without it before I ring them (bull calves under 6 months don't generally need one to show). Think of the nose ring as an emergency break. I only use it if the bull spooks and seems like he might bolt. I would never use one to reprimand or try to drag the bull. It will just piss them off.  If you are starting a 600lb bull, patience is a must. The previous posts had some great advice. Bulls take extra time and attention, especially if you intend to keep showing him for a while. Bulls don't get mad they get even, so a firm but calm hand is essential.

obie105

I had one this year that tried to head butt and think he was a general bas a$$. We got a halter on him and I ended up leaving him tied up for 3many days. I took him feed and water and when I turned him loose he is now a puppy dog. I think he figured out that I fed him and took care of him. In less than 2 weeks I can lead him anywhere.

kidsandkows

Thanks, i was curious about the nose ring. I thought it said we had to have one in for show, but I am going to wait till he gets a lot more broke. He is settling down quite a bit and does a lot better for my wife than me! Go figure! I think hes gonna be fine I just got too impatient. Thanks for all the tips! In case someone else is following along too something someone told me to do also but not on here was to tie a shirt or something on to a show stick and rub him all over at a distance so he cant hurt you and he learns your not hurting him (kinda like sacking out a horse) it seemed to help as well.