Questions about cooking corn

Help Support Steer Planet:

dj

Can you cook corn in the microwave for cattle to eat? We have one that we are trying to get some extra cover on. We thought that it would be possible, but wanted to hear from somebody elses experiences first.

Jill

No, it takes the time to soak up the liquid, not sure why, but it doesn't get soft in the microwave.

stangs13

We cooked corn last year for a heifer, it put the cover on very fast. We cooked it in a crock pot though.

showsteer11

use a crock pot  fill with water  and add  about a half a cup of vegitable oil after each feeding and should be good to go for the next feeding

dj

My problem is I can not seem to keep the coons out of the crockpot in the barn. They are very smart. They flip the glass lid off and tend to eat about half of the cooked corn. Really is not a way to trap them, cause the cats are curious too. Got any suggestions on how to rid myself of these raccoons?

farwest

Well, if you can lock all the cat's and dog's up that mean anything to you and put lids on the waterers at night, antifreeze in a pail seems to rid wild cat's and coons.  Won't work if a live water supply close by.

JoeDirt

What is the feeding ratio for cooked corn?

How much can you cook at a time?

and you say cook it in 18 quart crock pot? 1/2 water 1/2 corn?  Why oil?

can you explain more please.....When to use and how long etc

Jill

We use the big 32 ounce drink cups and put in 2 cups of water and 1 cup of corn and that will fill up your crock pot by morning, we cook on 12 hour interavals, I've never used the oil so I'm not sure what that's for.

showsteer11

we use quite a bit smaller crock pot i think its 4 quarts and we use half a gallon of corn and fill to the top with water the reason we add oil is so that that the corn wont burn and the corn will soak up the  oil and  that just adds fat to the feed. i mean the oil works for us but thats kinda nit picky i guess. We sometime start feeding it in early november and feed it till the last week of january but it just depends on the calf a little cooked corn can really bring a picky eatin calf to the trough haha

JoeDirt

we talk about how to cook it and how much to use...But how much do you feed them? and does it replace the grain or hay you feed?

braunvieh

will the cooked corn help a calf that has a poor appetite and picks through feed? How much cooked corn would you feed a 700 pound calf per day?

showsteer11

well i guess that all depends on the calf and wat he needs but for example right now we have a  shorthorn steer on feed  for a febuary show and he needed extra cover we are feeedig the half gallon of cooked corn along with 3 and half gallons of  showmaster finisher morning and night  with a small flakeof hay at night yes braunvieh it will help  a calf that has a poor appetite they love the hot corn  im not shure how much i would feed him  when do u need him finished ?

braunvieh

Not until July but would like to get him growing good and get him to eat a consistent amount all the time. Thanks!

showsteer11

that i wouldnt really know how much to feed we normally dont  start untill a couple months before we need them finished i would say that it would be trial and error sorry if i wasnt of any help

SlickTxMaine

Is it possible to feed cooked corn to add finish, but also limit weight gain?  We have a steer for a late Feb. show that will be pushing 1400 by show time.