% RED ANGUS SHOW AT IOWA STATE FAIR

Help Support Steer Planet:

GONEWEST

I just read something about the state Red Angus assn sponsoring a show for half blood Red Angus at the Iowa State Fair next year.  Anyone know anything about that? If it's true, I know where a great one is near there. It's not mine to sell, but I can tell you where it is if anyone is interested you can PM me.

Red Cow Relocators

GONEWEST said:
I just read something about the state Red Angus assn sponsoring a show for half blood Red Angus at the Iowa State Fair next year.  Anyone know anything about that? If it's true, I know where a great one is near there. It's not mine to sell, but I can tell you where it is if anyone is interested you can PM me.
This is for the junior show only. For those interested, you have always been able to show 1/2 blood steers at the Iowa State Fair junior show. I assume that they will allow 1/2 blood heifers as well at this one but I don't know the details.

Wounded W

There will be a half blood heifer class in the Junior Show at the Iowa State Fair. All heifers must be between 50-86% red angus with breed characteristics. Also, all animals must have registration papers from the Red Angus Association of America. We are also trying to get this class to be a standard class at all IJBBA shows.

aj

Is th a Red Angus characteristic? Are they gonna let the th bullshit bleed over into their breed?

BadgerFan

The good news is real Red Angus breeders will avoid this foolishness and stick to breeding cattle with functional traits.

Red Cow Relocators

BadgerFan said:
The good news is real Red Angus breeders will avoid this foolishness and stick to breeding cattle with functional traits.

Exactly right. This deal is pretty much set up for the jumior showmen and gives some of the steer jocks a market for some heifers. The breeders who are in the business for the long term will hardly acknowledge it other than to keep an eye on the people who use the clubby bulls on red females. I'm sure that sooner or later someone will try to pass a 1/2 blood as a purebred, but DNA doesn't lie. RCR

BadgerFan

Red Cow Relocators said:
BadgerFan said:

Exactly right. This deal is pretty much set up for the jumior showmen and gives some of the steer jocks a market for some heifers. The breeders who are in the business for the long term will hardly acknowledge it other than to keep an eye on the people who use the clubby bulls on red females. I'm sure that sooner or later someone will try to pass a 1/2 blood as a purebred, but DNA doesn't lie. RCR

wouldn't it be better to teach the junior showpeople how to select and raise cattle that they can use in their herds after they are no longer eligible for the show?

GONEWEST

BadgerFan said:
Red Cow Relocators said:
BadgerFan said:

wouldn't it be better to teach the junior showpeople how to select and raise cattle that they can use in their herds after they are no longer eligible for the show?

Are you saying the Red Angus breed is no good for use in crossbreeding situations?

BadgerFan

sure they are, and the heifer you posted is proof.  Put them in the crossbreed class where they belong.

GONEWEST

BadgerFan said:
sure they are, and the heifer you posted is proof.  Put them in the crossbreed class where they belong.

I thought that is what they were doing? Why shouldn't a breed show case what it can do in a crossbred situation like Simmentals, Maines, Chi's, Gelbviehs, Shorthorns, Limousins, and others. And what is the down side to having another division, what ever it is, that gives another kid an opportunity to win? I can't understand your statement about teaching a kid " how to select and raise cattle that they can use in their herds after they are no longer eligible for the show?" You don't think that animal will be useful in a herd after the show??

forcheyhawk

Personally, I think it will open more doors for the breed.  Look at the Simmy/Angus deal.  There are a lot of Simmy breeders that have embraced the power of the Simmy/Angus cross (if you will) and have bred a few cows that way for their production sales - and if you think those females aren't selling you better check again.  ;D 

I seen a really good Simmy/Red Angus heifer show in the Simmy division this year.  It was a shame that heifer wasn't being shown in the Red Angus (as well as the Simmys) deal because she was the type that would represent the breed very, very well.  And before you jump all over me - I'm not saying that the Red Angus breed can't represent itself.  I'm just saying that this will only help the breed open new doors with the various crossbreeding scenarios.  JMO

HAB

GONEWEST said:
BadgerFan said:

I thought that is what they were doing? Why shouldn't a breed show case what it can do in a crossbred situation like Simmentals, Maines, Chi's, Gelbviehs, Shorthorns, Limousins, and others. And what is the down side to having another division, what ever it is, that gives another kid an opportunity to win? I can't understand your statement about teaching a kid " how to select and raise cattle that they can use in their herds after they are no longer eligible for the show?" You don't think that animal will be useful in a herd after the show??

Not trying to Hijack the thread.

The Galloways do this in our "major" shows, NWSS and the NILE.  We do it for those exact reasons...show others what the breed can do in crossbreeding scenarios.  They are not registered, but must have one registered fullblood Galloway parent.  Only 50% and steers and heifers only.

FYI- There will be at least 1 N Bar bred Red Angus X red Galloway heifer at the 2013 NWSS.  ;)

Red Cow Relocators

BadgerFan said:
Red Cow Relocators said:
BadgerFan said:

Absolutely, but I think that the people they are trying to attract are the juniors that have one crossbred heifer. Those who will more than likely sell the animal at the end of the show season and buy something else next year. I wasn't at the meeting so I am just speculating and could be all wrong but it looks to me like an attempt to get more numbers for the junior show in Iowa since the numbers have declined the last couple of years. RCR

PS - The Red Angus breed is gaining popularity when alot of other breeds are failing. Currently listed as the #4 breed with the largest avereage herd size of (I think but can't remember for sure) 36 animals. We are gaining people from many of the other breeds including some pretty high profile individuals, even Sullivans are shopping in the Red Angus isle now. RCR

GONEWEST

Red Cow Relocators said:
BadgerFan said:
Red Cow Relocators said:
BadgerFan said:

Absolutely, but I think that the people they are trying to attract are the juniors that have one crossbred heifer. Those who will more than likely sell the animal at the end of the show season and buy something else next year. I wasn't at the meeting so I am just speculating and could be all wrong but it looks to me like an attempt to get more numbers for the junior show in Iowa since the numbers have declined the last couple of years. RCR

PS - The Red Angus breed is gaining popularity when alot of other breeds are failing. Currently listed as the #4 breed with the largest avereage herd size of (I think but can't remember for sure) 36 animals. We are gaining people from many of the other breeds including some pretty high profile individuals, even Sullivans are shopping in the Red Angus isle now. RCR

Seems to me to be an attempt at getting more young people involved in the breed and showcase what they can do in  a crossbreeding situation. Kinda like lots of other breeds do. I can't see a down side to it.  And you think Sullivans are going to breed purebred Red Angus? Is that what you are insinuating?

Red Cow Relocators

GONEWEST said:
Red Cow Relocators said:
BadgerFan said:
Red Cow Relocators said:
BadgerFan said:

Seems to me to be an attempt at getting more young people involved in the breed and showcase what they can do in  a crossbreeding situation. Kinda like lots of other breeds do. I can't see a down side to it.  And you think Sullivans are going to breed purebred Red Angus? Is that what you are insinuating?

Gonewest - I think you are misinterpreting my thoughts, maybe I haven't made them plain enough. A) I have no problem with getting more youth involved. B) I really don't have a dog in this hunt, just expressing what I think may be going on - I could be 100% wrong. C) I donate several hundred dollars a year to the various Red Angus junior programs, last week end in North Dakota it tallied up to over $600. I have no idea what Sullivans are planning on doing with the heifers that they are buying, just saying that they are gathering up some fairly high dollar heifers. RCR

GONEWEST

cpubarn said:
GONEWEST said:
Here is a Hamley

No matter the politics of it all, She looks like a very nice heifer.  Sounds like she is 1/2 red angus, whats the other 1/2?

Mark

Guess. Her mom is a purebred cow. What breed do you think?

Pleasant Grove Farms

Thank you Gonewest for the interesting post!

For everyone's information Gonewest does the website for our farm and when I sent
him the pic of this half Simmi half Red Angus heifer that we are selling to put on the website, he was so impressed with her, he posted here.....
resulting in an interesting discussion.

For those that don't believe the % red angus show in Iowa will have any "productive" oriented
females in it, what could be more productive than this F1 cross?  She is so versatile.
TH and PHA free by pedigree, she can be bred to clubby bulls; she can be upgraded with a Simmi
sire or Red Angus sire; breed her to a pb bull of a big growth breed and she will produce that 3-way ultimate heterosis cross feeder calf that the feedlots pay a premium for.
But at the same time, she is very attractive to look at.

She is selling this Saturday in "The Simmental Source Sale" at Sioux Falls Regional Livestock in Worthing, SD as Lot 32; a half sister to her is Lot 33.
Link to the catalog is http://edjesales.com/eberspacher/south_dakota/
Sale is managed by Eberspacher Enterprises.
All contact info is in the online catalog.