red angus??

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

As a general rule Red Angus females reach "breeding age" earlier than alot of other breeds. I wean at no more than 7 months old and get the bull calves away from the heifer calves as soon as they are weaned for that reason. We have very little problem getting our cows bred and usually run about 75 to 85 % conception rate AI and 97+% on the entire herd after the bulls are done. Granted this is only on about 100 cows and heifers. Just like any other breed there are the occasional heifers that are hard to get bred but they don't stay here long enough to get to be cows. Like most other breeds, show heifers can be a problem to get bred because alot of people get them too fat to be a truely functional breeding female. If you AI there can be some semen quality issues depending on the bull and where he was collected and how many times the semen has been transfered from tank to tank. Any more details on your females?

CAB

Loonan Red Angus are located less than 3 miles from me. They actually sort bull calves and heifer calf pairs and run in different pastures because they are so fertile.

ROAD WARRIOR

I ahve seen R A heifers that were bred between 4 and 5 months old. I also have successfully collected and froze semen on a 7 month old bull before ( extenuating circumstances - not normal practice).

pigguy

well a couple years back we bought about 100 head of red angus cows that were 4 years old and we couldnt get them bred to black angus bulls??

DL

Well perhaps the issue was the Black Angus bulls?? Did you have a BSE done on them? Were they checked for veneral diseases esp trich? What were the BCS of the cows? If I bought 100 cows that I couldn't get bred the last think I would blame, as a proud member of Bovine CSI, would be the breed :) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: especially a breed known and breed for reproductive efficiency, but then that is just MVHO

ROAD WARRIOR

Maine 12 - P M me more details about these cows - breeding if known, origanation of the cows, what % of these cows did breed etc. In the last year I have heard from several different sources that the daughters of a popular AI bull may not be as fertile as they should be. Don't know if that has anything to do with your cows or not but it could.

knabe

probably unrelated, but in humans, some mothers can't have daughters, and with a 50 50 ratio, you come up empty half the time.  there has to be something like this in cattle.

Latest posts