Red Maine Bulls?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Maines in PA

My daughter's little 4-H friend wants to breed her big red Maine cow to a red bull.  Any suggestions on readily available mid-to high-percentage semen? Bull needs to be a downsizer if possible. 
Thanks!

Telos

There are not very many percentage red Maine bulls being promoted, but there are many Fullblood Maines. Downsizing can be hard to find though. You could use a percentage black bull that is a red gene carrier too. Do they want a solid colored offspring? There are a few Sorthorn breeders using solid red Maine bulls you might want to consider. SEK Genetics might have something in their inventory and I'll check it out tomorrow.

xxcc

i have semen on a polled fullblood bull that will moderate cows and thicken them up depending on how much milk the cow has and if she is too framey he may not.  Don Coover at SEK has semen on Iabon, he may do the job, but can throw coarse calves.

red

boy, that's a toughie. There just aren't too many red Maine bulls being promoted unless they're fullbloods. I'd look for someone local that has a good red bull or go w/ a black one that tends to throw some red ones. I've found that Hard Core, Habanero & now Triple X can throw red calves. There was a really nice red bull that sold in the OBE that we wanted but he went too high for us.

Red

Maines in PA

Thanks for your help.  I figured we were chasing something that wasn't readily available.  I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to go the fullblood route.  We may use a red carrier and have talked about Jake's Proud Jazz as a Maine alternative.  The cow's really good, but really huge.

Jill

We bred our Red Maine to Hard Core and ended up with a solid Red calf.  
You might give DeRouchey a call, they had a red bull last year that sold in their sale that was really nice, don't know if he is being collected or not.

knabe

donaro's in canada like red, polled purebred maines.  i'm pretty sure there is a real nice red polled female that is a direct daughter of dazzler's fancy dancer that may have yielded a red bull calf.  she has been flushed, and perhaps she was flushed to a red carrier.

can't remember the link right now, but i really like that cow.

AAOK

There was a solid red bull sired by The Witch Dr being promoted about 10 years ago.  He was very thick, and was a frame reducer.  I've been trying to remember the bulls name since yesterday, but still having an extended senior moment.

OH Breeder

Reality Red is out of a double bred Cunia daughter, with Habanero X Meyer X Angus also in the pedigree.  PHAF. He is a heat wave son which should moderate the frame some.

http://www.cattlevisions.com/Composite/RealityRed.php

Okie Boy

Nixon is a high percent bull that threw 2 red calves for us this year and both were down sized. I will not use him again but that is what he did for us

Telos

Okie Boy said:
Nixon is a high percent bull that threw 2 red calves for us this year and both were down sized. I will not use him again but that is what he did for us

Why won't you use him again? Were those those Nixon calves pretty good? I like his pedigree and really liked him. What kind of cows did you use him on.

red

Halderman's said he works real well on foreplay type cows. I looked hard at him last year but the down sizing just didn't work for what I wanted.

Red

Jill

AAOK said:
There was a solid red bull sired by The Witch Dr being promoted about 10 years ago.  He was very thick, and was a frame reducer.  I've been trying to remember the bulls name since yesterday, but still having an extended senior moment.
Was it Stud Muffin?

OH Breeder

Jill said:
AAOK said:
Was it Stud Muffin?

Stud Muffin was out of a Cunia son.

OH Breeder

AAOK said:

Was it Chilli he was a Denver champion, Larry Lind.
sired by Power Plant though. I did see some interesting calves from him a couple years ago. I know there is semen still out there.

http://maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=166872

Bushy Park or Derouchey sold a Red maine in their sale LOT 19
Purchased By: Everson/Muntefering, SD

Attachments

• llndchili.jpg
    llndchili.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,052

Okie Boy

I do not plan to use Nixon any more mainly because of the down sizing factor. I am using a shootgun approach to AIing with my commercial crossbred cows to try to produce show heifers. We have found some cow/bull combos that click and many that do not.

Chap

Jim Dandy is a really nice fullblood bull.  we used him a couple of years ago on some angus cows.  lots of growth and look.  He will probably not downsize enough in this scenario but he is a nice bull with lots of good to offer.  We still have a few units in the tank and will use him again to make females on angus cows.

Attachments

• JimDandybull[1].jpg
    JimDandybull[1].jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 4,505

Latest posts