reg, as chi or maine

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

ok i am going to look at a manchild heifer this weekend. she is out of a draft pick cow. the heifer can either be registered as a chi or a low % maine, which do you think she would do better as. also what kind of moms are the man child and draft pick heifers. thanks a bunch. have a picture but it isnt recent. she looks way better in peron

tag739_250.gif

Joe Boy

I have several and have decided to register all of mine as Maines.  If I were younger I would continue with both breeds but I like the Maines better for disposition.  If the kids were still showing I would double register the calves.

If I were you, I would double register her.

Telos

That's really a nice looking heifer. Double registration gives you some flexibility when it comes time to breed her. Make sure you have her tested for TH and PHA.
She could have both. Draf Pick's often make goods cows. Manchild is not proven yet in the cow department because this is his first calf crop.

red

double register because the Maines & Chi's have their Junior Nationals together next year.
Nice looking heifer too!
Red

afhm

I think Manchild's cam be registered as appendix Shorthorns as well.  You might check into it you could have a triple registered heifer.

DL

Telos said:
That's really a nice looking heifer. Double registration gives you some flexibility when it comes time to breed her. Make sure you have her tested for TH and PHA.
She could have both. Draf Pick's often make goods cows. Manchild is not proven yet in the cow department because this is his first calf crop.

I'm with Telos on this one - have her tested for TH and PHA BEFORE you buy her - have been too many situations where they said they sent in blood (and you know what?? they didn't) but by that time they have your money and you love your heifer - if they refuse to test her I would run despite the fact that she is an awfully cute furry little package....

knabe

you could ask for a first right of refusal pending PHA/TH tests with a downpayment and a clause for a full refund if positive, similar to purchasing a house pending and inspection.  this is very similar to purchasing a lame steer expecting it to get sound cause you paid a lot of money for it.  there's nothing like enthusiasm to cloud your vision, especially with the tests available.

itk

I have the advantage of knowing the breeder of this calf (Val Reiss) and consider him a good friend so I'm not as cynical about the potential purchase as some. Ask him about the TH/PHA status and he will be 100% honest with you. She might be untested and selling as is. If that is the case make your bids accordingly but rest assured there is nobody in this business that is more honest and cares more about their customer's satisfaction then Val. Good luck with your bid. We'll have to compare notes as I have my eye on a few animals in Wallace county as well.

pigguy

she hasnt been tested but he said she for sure a THC and there is a possiblity of being a PHAC. the sale is this saturday. he said they havent had a bunch of interest this year so he dosent think she will sell super high. about 1000-1500.  we will also be going Gary Black's in satana, and feisers in plains.

shortyjock89

I don't think the calf could be shown as an Appendix Shorthorn..she would only be 1/4 shorthorn..unless her momma has some shorthorn in her..and I would definately get her tested...shes a nice looking heifer, and I plan on using Manchild quite a bit next year.

pigguy

i cant get her tested befor i buy her sale is tomarrow but if i get her i wll get her tested. thnaks a bunch

knabe

ask for a contingency for a credit later of one that is free.  if none, factor in price drop if a carrier of each or both.  you MUST do that, because the cost of a known carrier is LESS than putative carrier, especially a double whammy.  and worth even less if from a tested free both heifer all else being equal.

there is more than one heifer in the world.  i bought two potential carriers before the test and got lucky.  this again is expectation gap between buyer and seller.  seller knows she will go for less if she's a carrier, so they are in effect raising the price and placing ALL the risk on the purchaser.

Jill

If he has already told you she is THC and could be PHAC there is no one in their right mind going to give you the right to a credit on a 1000 heifer after they have already told you she is a carrier, if you don't want her don't buy her.  A 1000 heifer is a cheap heifer if she has any potential, there won't be much if any of a price drop from there.

afhm

Val is dispersing this fall so I don't think he will be in a position to offer credit on anything.

DLD

Jill said:
If he has already told you she is THC and could be PHAC there is no one in their right mind going to give you the right to a credit on a 1000 heifer after they have already told you she is a carrier, if you don't want her don't buy her.  A 1000 heifer is a cheap heifer if she has any potential, there won't be much if any of a price drop from there.

yep

pigguy

because his seed bussiness needs more attention and he cant properly run a 130 head cow herd