Registered % Maine Anjou

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

Here is one of my heifers. What do you think of her??

23heifer012.jpg

shortyjock89

Real nice looking calf.  What is her breeding?

If I'm going to be picky, I would like to see just a touch more neck extension maybe, and put her tailhead down just a little....but that is being really really picky.  Be proud.

BCCC

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Real nice looking calf.  What is her breeding?

If I'm going to be picky, I would like to see just a touch more neck extension maybe, and put her tailhead down just a little....but that is being really really picky.  Be proud.
She is out of an Irish Whiskey son x Simmy x Maine x Angus

The great thing is, I bought her for less then $1000

red

good depth. I'm like Olson Family, I'd like to clean up her neck a little but that's probably from the simmy side.

Red

BCCC

probally about 4 jackpots or so hopefully more, but I am not counting on it, and then county fair, and state fair, the way she is devoloping ;D I should get at least reserve champ at county fair, if not grand breeding heifer. and then by state fair she will be 5 months pregnant, and be at her top potental!!! (thumbsup)

What would you breed her to?? she is like a frame score of 4, I would like more base, depth and soundness.

The one thing that everyone that has seen her is her front end (thumbsup)

I think Jill has probally seen her at the Kansas Beef Expo

She is getting 12 lbs of grower, 6 lbs of oats and 6 lbs of Full Tank

shortyjock89

Gigolo Joe, Money Man, Hard Core, and Triple X would be on the short list if I owned her (I think). 

RSC

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Gigolo Joe, Money Man, Hard Core, and Triple X would be on the short list if I owned her (I think). 
Good choices if you want to stay the High% maine route.  Has she been PHA tested?  Has anyone heard how Whiskey females work to raise clubcalves when bred to bulls like HW?  I have a Whiskey/Northern improvement ET heifer that I may keep for a CC momma if she is a PHC.

Thanks,

RSC

Jill

Nice heifer, great price, I'd go with Gigolo Joe or Money Man on the 1st calf anyway that gives you a calf that would be eligible for Jr. Nationals.

OH Breeder

Here is my opinion. I would work with a good farrier. Take a bit off the feet and maybe turn them in a tick. I like the depth of cody and from the rear I think she is plenty thick enough. I personally like heifers to look like heifers. I would like to see more neck extension but she is okay and could be bred to numerous bulls down road for cleaner neck. She has great coat and looks like you are taking care of her.
Breeding- Northern Improvement would clean her up a bit for a first calf. He makes them pretty. Others will have their own opinions. GREAT buy on her. Good luck.

BCCC

Does any one know of a good hoof trimmer around sw kansas???

I was thinkig about breeding her to either Jigolo Joe, Hard Core or Tyson (he seems a little larger framed). I would like the calf to be a frame score of about 5.

Thank you all for all of coments on her. What do you think of the clip job?? it is a little ruff, and I need to clip her neck the rest of the way.

She will be shown as a commercail.

Jill

BCCC said:
Does any one know of a good hoof trimmer around sw kansas???

I was thinkig about breeding her to either Jigolo Joe, Hard Core or Tyson (he seems a little larger framed). I would like the calf to be a frame score of about 5.

Thank you all for all of coments on her. What do you think of the clip job?? it is a little ruff, and I need to clip her neck the rest of the way.

She will be shown as a commercail.
We use Howard Fehlman out of the Junction City area but he broke his arm a couple of weeks ago, a name he gave us was Mike Earlich in Marion.

BCCC

What would you show her as?? We were thinking breeding heifer, actually that is what we have been showing her as

red

what is her actual %? Maines can be as low as 1/4 or I'd show her as a crossbred.

Red

common sense

BCCC- we have two Irish Whiskey heifers that are clean.  We bred them to Gigolo Joe for their first calves.  I am tickled with both of them.  I would not give the heifers too high of a score on pelvic area so I don't know if that is typical and something to watch out for.  I do however LOVE the beautiful udders that they have.  They are GREAT mommas!  I am not sure how what direction I am going to go at re-breeding.  I am afraid that breeding them clubby will get the calves a little "wound up". I will most likely breed them back the same way...but I AM predjudiced that way. (angel)  I really like your heifer.  I think she will be a female with tons of future so breed her accordingly!