Remnant from the 60s

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

OK, I got an ipod for Christmas (yeah I know it is September) and tomorrow when I have a fast connection I thought I'd download a few tunes - being tone deaf means I have no idea how awful I sound and either cows are tone deaf or they have accommodated to the great renditions of the classics - time for a change

now remembering that I am older than ELBEE, Jill, red, shortdawg, Show Heifer, knabe (and yeah all you kids:) ) and that I am about the same age as JIT - that the Beatles and Elvis never flipped my minnow - what do you think would be a good first song? it could be the forgotten treasure....tx in advance

shortyjock89

Act your shoe size, not your age when it comes to choosing music.  I guess just check out different stuff on iTunes.  I'm pretty sure you can listen to samples of the songs before you are asked to buy them.  Good luck with that iPod, too. I'm 18, and supposedly pretty computer savvy, but it took me a good day to figure out most of the stuff on there. O0

farmboy

ive got alot of AC~DC, black sabbath, led, jimmi, craig morgan, smb and PF. i could be a reincarnation of someone from back in the day
than again i probaBLY have alot of newer stuff like craig morgan and big & rich, rodney atkins and a few KoRn songs and Nirvana, alice cooper

i will say as i type this, i have "all along the watch tower" blasting

Jill

The 1st thing I would do is disregard Farmboy's list YUK! ;)  There was an older song I think the name was something about Alices restaurant it was a musical number that was REALLY long, that would be the most for your money.(clapping)  I am probably the wrong one to ask, ipods go way over my tech level, I'm good on the computer, I'm lost past that.  Good luck to you and let us know how it comes out.

farmboy

really easy but will be hard to accumalate a good # of songs like me;227 to be exact, with a landline

long songs are great, that reminds me i dont have smoke on the water but have kashmir and S2H....

DL, i get all mine from limewire.com for free

DL

SJ89 - I've got really really little feet -  ;D but I am with you  - it isn't quite as simple or as intuitive as it first appears it should be! any hints would be appreciated

farmboy - all along the watchtower, smoke on the water - good idea (I think I'll skip some of the others ;)) - limewire.com good idea too, tx

I sure did like Arlo Guthrie - so Alice's Restuarant is probably right up there

will probably be checking out (yeah I do have these in vinyl) Dylan, CSNY, Stevie Nicks, Heart, Gordon Lightfoot, Bob Seeger, The Doors, the Stones, the Doobie Bros, the Who, Pink Floyd, Donovan, S&G, Bob Marley and a host of others I can't remember due to my small shoe size! (yeah, its a 5 - like a boys 2 or 3 - if they were any smaller I would fall right over, plop! (lol)

keep those suggestions comin'
Telos I am waiting to hear from you
;D

shortdawg

DL, I play guitar so I like all kinds of music but the best first song for you would be " Turn the Page " .  I absolutely cannot eat at Waffle House without playing that song on the Jukebox. Any Eagles song would be a good second choice.

DL

shortdawg said:
DL, I play guitar so I like all kinds of music but the best first song for you would be " Turn the Page " .  I absolutely cannot eat at Waffle House without playing that song on the Jukebox. Any Eagles song would be a good second choice.

oh yeah - forgot about the Eagles -lots of good tunes there (I like the ones that send you places)  yes! and of course Turn the Page
frostback - yup S&G (I got lazy)
and there were some good Jim Croce tunes - this could become an obsession (if I can make the bugger work!)

Telos

DL, you know we are the same age. I grew up listening to all the folkies( I know it's an acquired taste), but have recently discovered Guy Clark and Steve Earle. They are great song writers IMO that have a good sound (They may not flip your minnow, but think your cows will love them). For whatever reasons... don't think you and I  have evolved enough to appreciate Dylan's new stuff. There is also a fairly new artist from England, I believe, who goes by the name Feist. She is pretty progressive and one of a kind, but not everyones cup of tea. Give her a try to see if you like what she does. The Reminder by Feist is the title of one of her albums.

DL

Telos said:
DL, you know we are the same age. I grew up listening to all the folkies( I know it's an acquired taste), but have recently discovered Guy Clark and Steve Earle. They are great song writers IMO that have a good sound (They may not flip your minnow, but think your cows will love them). For whatever reasons... don't think you and I  have evolved enough to appreciate Dylan's new stuff. There is also a fairly new artist from England, I believe, who goes by the name Feist. She is pretty progressive and one of a kind, but not everyones cup of tea. Give her a try to see if you like what she does. The Reminder by Feist is the title of one of her albums.

I'll give her a try - I like Dylan's Tweedley Dum and Tweedley Dee (you know he would have been kicked off American Idol on day one  ;D) but not all that thrilled with some of the other stuff --- do you remember all the old folkies (yeah it is a taste I acquired too) - The Kingston Trio? Joan Baez (these 2 don't really lump together?) and of course I love Leadbelly..this could be a great adventure!.

DLD

dragon lady said:
OK, I got an ipod for Christmas (yeah I know it is September) and tomorrow when I have a fast connection I thought I'd download a few tunes - being tone deaf means I have no idea how awful I sound and either cows are tone deaf or they have accommodated to the great renditions of the classics - time for a change

now remembering that I am older than ELBEE, Jill, red, shortdawg, Show Heifer, knabe (and yeah all you kids:) ) and that I am about the same age as JIT - that the Beatles and Elvis never flipped my minnow - what do you think would be a good first song? it could be the forgotten treasure....tx in advance

Well, I got one last October (I think) and have yet to add a song to it. Fortunately, it was "pre-owned", a gift from a friend with whom I share many of the same musical tastes (lots of George Strait, Pat Green, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Aerosmith, ZZ Top,et al...) so all I've done is delete (down to like 280 some songs from 420 - it's still less than 1/3 full) most of the stuff that I just couldn't stand (Liz Phair anyone? ugh) but I've got to get around to adding some stuff - I have a hard time coping without any Eagles or Jimmy Buffet.. LOL

The first song I hit on any jukebox is always Hotel California (7 1/2 to 10+ minutes, depending on which version you get), cause it's a great song and more bang for the buck ;)

shortyjock89

The Hush Sound is one talented young group.  They are "Alternative", but what they boil down to is a girl and a few guys playin a piano in a rock band.  Amazing vocals and instumentation...not for everyone, but I would check them out if you want to get away from the "mainstream".  www.thehushsound.com

itk

For something alittle softer and my all-time favorite song "The Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding or maybe "Feels Like Rain" as sung by numerous artists. "Feels like Rain" was one of my wedding songs along with "You've Lost that Loving Feeling" so now it makes my list or the wife gets mad, but it was one of those great songs that I kind of forgot about. And don't forget Whitesnake they had some good songs (or at least a good video) in the 80's.

ROAD WARRIOR

How about a little Paraise by the dash board lights. Ironically the first time I heard "Turn the page" I was on I80 East of Omaha about 3 in the morning with the radio blaring to keep my eyes open. Got to see the Righteous Brothers live once - good choice.

ELBEE

You guy's are way off!

Charlie Pride's Kiss an Angle good morn'in

Charlie Rich's The most beautiful girl

Merel Haggard's Okie from Maskogie

Conway Twitty's Hello darl'in

Patsy Cline's Crazy

Statler's Hello Mary Lou

Jonny Horton's Battle of New Orleans

These can only be listened to while wearing an old beat up Stetson!

AAOK

DL- I also am one who still doesn't own an Ipod.  Most of my favorites around the house are still on Vinyl.  

My favorite song of all time is "For What it's Worth", by Buffalo Springfield (most of the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young crew. all their music displays their incredible harmony).  #2 on my list is "People are Strange" by The Doors (everything else they did is great also).  

Love song; there is no other: "Time in a Bottle", Jim Croce

For headphone, just sitting back and Groovin' music, I strongly recommend anything and everything by Emerson, Lake & Palmer.  Probably their most recognized single is "Lucky Man".  Along the sames line of music (lots of instrumental, synthecized stuff) are the groups Kansas and Yes.  the "YesSongs" albumn is tremendous.  And speaking of Groovin', The Young Rascals, best version ever of "Mustang Sally".

I've always been a big fan of Joe Walsh, but I think even better than The Eagles, was his music with The James Gang.  "Funk #49" has to be one of the all time best.

For easy listening, I really enjoy my fellow Okie, Lean Russel, "Tight Rope", "Give Peace a Chance". "Mad Dogs & Englishmen", "Wild Horses"..............

And, of course, no collection is complete without All of Eric Clapton's groups (my favorite, Delany, Bonnie and Friends), Pink Floyd, The Alman Brothers, Jimi Hendrix, The Animals, Deep Purple, Procol Harum, Jefferson Airplane, Vanilla Fudge, Edgar Winter, ZZ Top, Bad Company, Steve Miller Band,.....................................gosh, I can't stop.

Simply put; anything recorded between 1965 and 1974

knabe

anything by louis prima

http://www.louisprima.com/index2.html

he did a version of just a giglo WAY before van halen
did lot's of duets.

he was awesome, and in general, uplifting.  he even sang a tune in "jungle book", and was the voice of king louie

DL

OK guys there has been a bit of a downturn - the brand new iPod is dead - yes dead - after being on hold to thousand of people over the world I am in theory getting another one - the thrill has faded :(  OH POOH! Actually they were very good they are sending me a new one and a case for my trouble (waterproof!) and I was glad to know my computer skills were not that bad (lol)

RW Righteous Brothers - good idea; Drifters too. Lots of good old stuff out ehre somewhere - will be a fun journey if I can get an iPod that works :)

ELBEE I don't have a Stetson, but Show Heifer sent me a BFLO Sabres stocking cap (which I wore this am because it was cold!) - will that work?

wow AAOK - we must like the same tunes - certainly the same years!!-

I forgot about Buffalo Springfield,  Procol Haram - and then there was Cream, CCR, Otis, Jefferson Airplane, Fleetwood Mack, Heart

Does anybody remember Pacific Gas & Electric???

Keep those tunes comin'