Rip her apart - Hereford Style-

Help Support Steer Planet:

CPL

Alright, a few others posted a few pictures so I thought I might go ahead and give it a shot. So what does everyone think from a show ring stand point?

approx 7 months old- 540 lbs

Thanks
Christian

Attachments

• HPIM4314.JPG
    HPIM4314.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 534

aj

I like her alot. She looks green and not over fat. But I have a soft spot in my heart for the underated herford breed. (clapping) (clapping)

TJ

aj said:
I like her alot. She looks green and not over fat. But I have a soft spot in my heart for the underated herford breed. (clapping) (clapping)

She's nice.  In a perfect world, I'd like to see her just a little cleaner fronted & a little thicker in the rear, but overall, she's nice. 

CAB

I would have to say ditto along with TJ's assesments, along with wow! I think she is realy good. Nice straight top, good depth of rib, and here's the best parts for me, great angerlarity, structure looks like a can't miss just looking @ where her feet are pointing and how her shoulder is set in there, and for a Hereford, she is very feminine looking. I would love to she a Wide Angle calf out of her for alittle more bone. Wide lLoad or Reload would also be fun to X her with.

ratmama2

Very nice heifer. What is her bloodlines? Just curious cause I raise and show herefords. I love their sweet dispositions.

frostback

Nice heifer but I would like to see more bone and different tail head set. Good luck with her.

knabe

ditto on the tailhead, i would like to see a little flatter bone on her legs, a little more flex in her hock and reach in her flank, her scapula laid down a little flatter (but might be the pose), her right front toe looks overgrown in the pic, needs more pigment in a few places.  is her gain acceptable for her age?  from a straight calculation not subtracting her birth weight, i get about 2.57 lbs per day of age.

ONE OF THEEEEEEE BEST POSTS I HAVE EVER SEEN ON ANY TOPIC ON ANY WEBSITE.
  it discusses pigment, eye set, eye lashes and selection pressure and is a type of prepotency i would like see promoted for a variety of other traits.
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36508&highlight=hereford+eye+pigment

i think this might be an archive site for the pigment pics
http://www.cattletoday.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=all&si=eyeset

nice pic of a teat with pigment with a calf suckling with pigment around his eyes
http://www.cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6287

CAB

Knabe, you crack me up. You are wasting your time and have missed your calling. You need to be a cattle breeder as JIT says some are multipliers like myself and some are breeder's. You seem to would have the patience & knowledge that could make you a breeder. I like reading your posts, you are very knowledgable.

CPL

Thanks. She is a TH 908 57G Gavel 32M ET x a JR TRM DRF A82 Rivl D188 granddaughter. I'm not so sure I like the Reload bull, but I do like Wideload. However, she won't see any of those atleast her first year. I'm not going to tear her up.

I'd like to see more bone and clean up her front end a little bit. Nonetheless I'm pleased with the way she's developing.

garybob

I'd like to make her a little bigger-footed, with a deeper heel ( for climbing these Ozarks hills!), WITHOUT making her heavier-boned. IMHO, she doesn't need prettying-up in the femininity Dept--when you completely breed off the brisket of your heifers and cows, you lose performance. IME, about 75# @weaning, 300@yearling, and you will have frail,hard-doing, ugly cows with low fertility. My experience with both Shorthorns and Commercial cows has led me back to the philosophy of form follows function. However, you must also select for a functional form. Just ask Wes Hudson, he'll tell you the same.

The ''zipper-fronted/goosey-necked/freaky-fronted" idea is for the birds!

ratmama2

Didn't know if you are bull shopping for her yet or not ( I know only 7 months) But I am always keeping an eye out for a good bull that has the qualities that would improve on my ladies. There is a bull at Stone Ridge Manor in Pa. that I think would go very well with your lady. He is Star Orlando 561P ET. He would lower her tail head, add length and even more muscle and put bigger feet on her. I have seen him and his calves and they are gorgeous!!!!! I love a big muscular fella ;D I plan on buying semen from him to use on my ladies year after next when I am done with my bull. Check him out at www.stoneridgemanor.com

DLD

Pretty nice Hereford heifer. It's awfully hard to nit-pick one from a pic - they can be so decieving, sometimes creating faults where there are none or not showing ones that are there. But she appears to be sound and well balanced and good in her lines. Good luck, and have fun with her.

garybob

ratmama2 said:
Didn't know if you are bull shopping for her yet or not ( I know only 7 months) But I am always keeping an eye out for a good bull that has the qualities that would improve on my ladies. There is a bull at Stone Ridge Manor in Pa. that I think would go very well with your lady. He is Star Orlando 561P ET. He would lower her tail head, add length and even more muscle and put bigger feet on her. I have seen him and his calves and they are gorgeous!!!!! I love a big muscular fella ;D I plan on buying semen from him to use on my ladies year after next when I am done with my bull. Check him out at www.stoneridgemanor.com
Excellent! Now, I know where to find good, Hereford Bulls. Really like the Horned yearling in the pics. Almost makes me reminisce about when the King of the Industry wore a "Curved Crown". Next to Shorthorns (REAL ones), I will always have a spot in my heart for Herefords. If the show ring hadn't put their hands in things  in the early part of the 1900's, I don't think Prolapse, Cancer Eye, or Balloon Teats would be issues today.

CPL

ratmama2 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I am wanting to try Kudzu on her. I looked up the 561P bull he's nice, but I don't know. If you do use him, let us know yours results.

Telos

CPL, very nice heifer calf. Have fun with her.

I particularly liked Garybob's comment about form should follow function.

If we as beef cattle producers make an effort to design cattle that follows the functional duties of an efficient beef cow then it would be very difficult to get off track from our mission.

Again CPL... Remember, the sky is the limit with how you want to eventually breed her. She appears to be a solid foundation from which you can build.

pigguy

I think she looks great. but when it comes time to breed her try to find a bull that will had some bone, and clean the front up a little. other then those she looks good from the show ring and good from the pasture. good luck with her (clapping)