Salute calves (Shorthorn)

Help Support Steer Planet:

sw

Anyone have any Salute calves yet? Did they come easy and how did they look? What can I can expect I have seven bred to him. Thanks for any replies

frostback

I have had three. One purebred out of a Rodeo Drive cow that came 10 days late 103 lbs unassisted. Beautiful heifer. The next was out of a 13 year old purebred Angus cow. Also 10 days late helped her some with a 113 lb bull. Not a very nice calf. The last was another purebred cow. 79 lb heifer 8 days late. Jury still out on wether I like her or not. I used him again because of the first calf.

justintime

I have 6 Salute's. All are ETs and I am impressed with them all. Mine were all about 8 to 12 days overdue at birth, but they were all born unassisted with bw. of 90 to 112 lb. They were very impressive at birth and still look very good. I was  very impressed with how vigourous all our Salute's were at birth. They were up and trying to run around the pen within minutes of being born. The poor mama cows had to literally chase them around trying to finish licking them off. All 6 calves are very uniform in type and in their color.All are good enough quality to see a halter and we will be showing and selling some this fall. All are dark roans and they have lots of hair, even in this 100 degree high humidity crazy weather we have had for the past few days.
I have heard of some big calves that needed assistance at birth, so watch them closely. As mentioned, mine were born easily from recips ( some purebred Angus, some Char X, some smaller framed Shorthorn cows).
The dams of my Salute's are two of our best donors so it may be a bit misleading. I will know more next spring as I have some coming from a few more cows.

justintime

I only have a couple of pictures of the Salute calves so far, and will get some more once this weather straightens out. It has been 95 to 100 degrees everyday with crazy humidity lately and the calves are covered in mud from being in the creeks trying to get some relief from the heat and flies. Here are two Salute calves , a bull and a heifer taken at 3 months of age. Neither of these are my favorites of the 6 I have, but they are the only ones that have pictures so far.

Attachments

• Salute heifer calf.jpg
    Salute heifer calf.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 436

shortyjock89

JIT- Nice calves...they are really hairy, and really pretty.  I can't wait to see pics of your favorites..I think I might have to breed some cows to him this fall. 

shorthorns r us

justintime said:
I only have a couple of pictures of the Salute calves so far, and will get some more once this weather straightens out. It has been 95 to 100 degrees everyday with crazy humidity lately and the calves are covered in mud from being in the creeks trying to get some relief from the heat and flies. Here are two Salute calves , a bull and a heifer taken at 3 months of age. Neither of these are my favorites of the 6 I have, but they are the only ones that have pictures so far.

notice a pump jack in the background.  looks like around here where i live in oklahoma.  you guys up there are getting our normal heat and humidity. keep it as long as you can.  last year july averaged about 105.  this year probably less than 95.

on the topic of the heifer, IS THE BORDER OPEN?  i bet the favorite is really nice?

justintime

Yes, it is HOT!!!!! I heard that with the humidity it feels like 130 degrees F and I would agree with them. It is almost impossible to drink enough to keep hydrated. The fence builder I have been waiting for, for almost 3 years picked today to show up to start on two miles of new fence. I am thinking right about now he is wishing he had stayed in school!!!
The Border is open for US cattle coming into Canada, and there have been lots of breeding stock coming up in the last few months from your country. I think USDA have finally got most of their stuff in order to reopen the border, but R-Calf has again slowed the process down by going to court again, to get an injunction to keep it closed permanently. Time will tell what happens but I have quit trying to predict when or if it will open and I will believe it only when I see a truck with breeding stock go across the border. Right now, US will accept finished cattle and feeder cattle from Canada, but no breeding stock. All feeder heifers must be spayed, to insure that none of them get into the US breeding herd. All feeder cattle must be branded with a large "C" on the rib and they must be fed seperately in US feedlots and are not allowed to be shipped anywhere's but to slaughter.All slaughter cattle are shipped to the US packer in government sealed trucks and only USDA officals are allowed to remove the seal from the truck.
Almost all the cattle in Canada are located along a 300 mile wide band along the US border.That is the main reason that the beef industry has been developed as a North American industry, and this has been developed by the cattle organizations and the feeding and packing industries in BOTH countries. It makes more sense for the largest population in Canada ( the Toronto/ Montreal corridor, where almost 2/3 of Canadians live) to obtain much of their beef from the midwest US packers as they are much closer than where most of the Canadian beef is produced in Western Canada. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I am closer to Louisville, KY than I am to Toronto, and the bulk of the beef industry in Canada is in Alberta which is another 600 miles west of here. So, as a result of the regionalization of our two countries, the beef industry has been developed quite uniquely as a singular marketplace involving two countries. I think it is a very unique trading situation. This is why the US packing industry was hit so hard when the US border closed. Several major US plants closed or laid off hundreds of workers. While I agree that a job in a packing plant is not a great job, it still is a JOB and it helps employ lots of Americans.( and also alot of people who are not Americans but happen to live in America.)

Whoever it was, who sent this weather to us from Oklahoma and Texas, can come and take it back. We have had enough!

justintime

Hi Jill,
Yes, it is legal to ship embryos, providing the embryos have been washed. Washing is a very simple procedure and only takes a few minutes . By doing this, it makes embryos literally sterile, that is, they are totally disease free. Our ET vets do all our embryos and do not even charge us for doing it. This simple procedure literally makes most of the world your marketplace. For example, we shipped some embryos to Scotland last week, and this is the 4 shipment we have sent in the past two years. I am presently finalizing a deal on a sizable group of embryos to Australia, and hope to have this completed in the next few days.
Semen is also exportable to the US providing the sire has passed all the tests required ( same tests as before BSE).

I find that there are very few Americans who have their embryos washed. There have been many embryos I would love to try to buy but I usually find out that they are not exportable. I am sure there would be most Canadians than me, who would buy embryos in the US if we could get them into the country.

Jill

We have a flush scheduled for tomorrow, I'll have him ask about it and what the cost is, I have never heard of it.  Thanks

NHR

Here is a picture of our May 2007 Salute heifer calf. She is good. She was born unassisted on time with a birth weight of 79lbs.

Attachments

• Salute Heifer.jpg
    Salute Heifer.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 223