San Antonio Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

The judge is real slow, but he certainly gives every kid his time.  I think he's done a pretty good job.

Some of the champions/results I know of:

Charolais- Shackelford with his calf that's won a bunch all year.  Champ and Res came out of the heavies.  A cow we raised and sold raised the middle weight winner.  We didn't do anything - my son's Yellowjacket steer just isn't fat enough.

Limousin - Lastovica had the Champion

Shorthorn - The other Shackelford kid had Champion.

Hereford - don't know who the little girl was but the calf was real good.

Nearly all the Champions and Reserves are coming out of the heavy weight clases- I'm pretty sure all these calves are well over 1300.  The Champion Simi was 1400 something I think.

jchumley

The judge is very slow and does not mind using big steers. My son was 5th place in the heavy weight char. class and his steer was 1395. I was worried about our calf being too big for the current trend.

chambero

We were in the same class. 

There is a fairly significant trend I think well in place now that calves really can't be too heavy to be used.  For the last few years, a real heavy calf that can carry that weight and still be sound can win.  Congrats on 5th place. 

How was your calf bred?

Ours had done very well all year at prospect shows but I could never get him to get fat enough.

chambero

we had an Angus get sifted from the medium weights around 8, so I figure around 9 time he was done with the champs.

jchumley

Our calf was a Hoo Bear x char. donor cow from Tommy Schroeder. We worked really hard to get him to finish adequately without weighing 1500. He was not as fat as I would have liked, but was adequate.

JSchroeder

They were just getting started around 6pm.  Mark McClintock may be slow but there won't be a steer that goes through the ring without getting a good going over by him.

chambero

Jeff_Schroeder said:
They were just getting started around 6pm.  Mark McClintock may be slow but there won't be a steer that goes through the ring without getting a good going over by him.

Everybody I talked to before the show had a fairly negative opinion of him as a judge and what he might do.  But I really thought he's done a pretty good job.  His reasons certainly boring.  Ever heard a judge say something over the mic like this in regards to his champion Hereford -  "Basically everything I've said good about my champions all day long apply to this one - blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  He's a real good calf and I never had him in my mind as anything but my class winner".  He's a hoot to listen to!

I personally saw two calves that he used a 2nd places that he missed and didn't pull until they were almost out the gate. 

txshowlamb

I personally liked the judge, he takes his time for sure..But Id rather walk in atleast have my calf looked at and felt than walk in and out with in a few minutes..If us kids are gonna work all yr we minus well feel like we actually got looked at rather than missed..I know I felt alot better walking out knowing he looked at my steer and he even took time to talk me and a few others..thats what its all about in my book! I know a ton of people were complaining he was taking way too long but they would complain if he just flew through the classes anyways so give the guy credit for sorting through and giving each and every class and calf a chance and his time cause Im sure he was just as tired as every single one of us!
Britt

jchumley

He pulled my son out as he was about to leave the ring. Then we ended up moving into 5th place. When he talked about our calf he said he liked him from the beginning but he wanted to see him walk a little more. I saw him do the same thing in other classes. It was nice to see a judge continue to look for cattle he may have missed instead of dismissing all of them quickly. I also think had my son gave up and quit showing heading out of the ring, he would have let him leave.

SmokesRule

I look at the pics, and there's something i don't understand. How is the champion gert steer black? i understand you guys classify down there with no papers, but doesn't a gert HAVE to be red? i've seen a gaggle of gerts at our state fair open show every year, and i've yet to see a black one. I understand a gert looks like most american breeds, but why wouldn't a black american breed steer be shown in like the abc's or braymers or something? Not tryin to sound like a dumb yankee lol, just thought it weird to see a black gert...

afhm

SmokesRule said:
I look at the pics, and there's something i don't understand. How is the champion gert steer black? i understand you guys classify down there with no papers, but doesn't a gert HAVE to be red? i've seen a gaggle of gerts at our state fair open show every year, and i've yet to see a black one. I understand a gert looks like most american breeds, but why wouldn't a black american breed steer be shown in like the abc's or braymers or something? Not tryin to sound like a dumb yankee lol, just thought it weird to see a black gert...
They allow gert crosses as long as they have the same characteristics as a gert they can be balck and even have a motely face.

SmokesRule

isn't a HUGE characteristic of a gert the fact they are RED?  can you show a black angus in the red angus?  they are the same breed characteristics just different color. makes 0 sense to me.  im not trying to be complicated, i'm just trying to understand

afhm

They don't have to be purebred.  Plus the gerts have an appendix registry called Star 5 which allows blacks as long as they are 50% gert.  The best way to understand this is to download the San Antonio or Houston premium books and read the gert section in the junior steer section.