San Antonio Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

JSchroeder

There are some breeds that allow crosses and some that require them to look like purebreds.  Gert is a breed that allows crosses and the classifiers went extremely easy on them.

McClintock started looking for more muscle yesterday afternoon.  I'd put serious money on the Charolais taking grand.

SmokesRule

Jeff_Schroeder said:
There are some breeds that allow crosses and some that require them to look like purebreds.  Gert is a breed that allows crosses and the classifiers went extremely easy on them.

McClintock started looking for more muscle yesterday afternoon.  I'd put serious money on the Charolais taking grand.

ok guys that makes more sense. thanks.

kobo_ranch

We showed heavyweight Maine class.  Our steer was just too big I guess although I thought he carried his weight well. (he was the heaviest in the class I think (we told the truth.. which you're not supposed to do)  Anyway I had mixed opinions on the judge.  Yes it was good he took his time... but I couldn't figure out what he was looking for.  Seemed to pull real muscular calves then turn around and pull what looked to me like really skinny ones?  In the lightweight Chi class I saw one he pulled that was crippled and couldn't even walk very good.  His explanations were... well boring.  Again I think picking one judge for every single class in a steer show is too big for one man to do without them starting to look all alike. 
Of course we're relatively new at again this year, so just probably don't know.  Our county did excellent in Ft Worth and no one I don't think (unless somebody today in AOB) got in the sale.  So pretty let down.  Congrats on the ones that did good!  ....can't help but frown on some of the politics of it all though. :-\

johnwayne

Were you people watching the same steer show  I was. I am happy for all you who got pulled and made the sale.  This time it was truly was luck that got you there, and not the calf.  As  a master volunteer I have taught my kids that setting your calves up and show them to best of calves and kids ability is a big a part as what the calf has to offer.If you lost control or windmilled the calf in front of this judge you more likely to get pulled than if you were able to show him.  With this judge, not only was he slow but in consistant as hell.  He did not pick the same style calf from class to class, much less division to division.  He would get lost by his on admission.  What judge has ever used the words Suck to describe a set of calves, Ass. and then have to smoke a cigarette before he makes a decision.  I am not ever going to question what a judge pics for his winners. but I will question him on his inconsistency and his lack of reasons!!! He set the San Antonio show back as a major show 10 years... He was so far out of the industry standards that it was not even comical. It was almost embarrassing. 

OH Breeder

This may be a stupid question but who does the "qualifiing" ? Who says you look like a Hereford or Shorthorn etc. Is it a panel or individuals? Does each breed send representatives or ?
Not that it really matters just don't understand it.

johnwayne

It was a three panel team. they put their chips in a cup and someone looked at chips 2 out of 3 chips and it classed in or out.

OH Breeder

johnwayne said:
It was a three panel team. they put their chips in a cup and someone looked at chips 2 out of 3 chips and it classed in or out.

Sounds like it could get very political. It seems to me if there was a list and it was posted and they checked off certain required characteristics would make more sense. Then it would not leave any room for politics.

johnwayne

well no one gets to see the chips before or after they are placed in the cup. Yes, some politics there, but in most classes there was not any problems. I heard thow that the Angus and Red Angus got hammered after Ft. Worth problems. Not sure about this though.

kobo_ranch

johnwayne said:
Were you people watching the same steer show  I was. I am happy for all you who got pulled and made the sale.  This time it was truly was luck that got you there, and not the calf.  As  a master volunteer I have taught my kids that setting your calves up and show them to best of calves and kids ability is a big a part as what the calf has to offer.If you lost control or windmilled the calf in front of this judge you more likely to get pulled than if you were able to show him.  With this judge, not only was he slow but in consistant as hell.  He did not pick the same style calf from class to class, much less division to division.  He would get lost by his on admission.  What judge has ever used the words Suck to describe a set of calves, Ass. and then have to smoke a cigarette before he makes a decision.  I am not ever going to question what a judge pics for his winners. but I will question him on his inconsistency and his lack of reasons!!! He set the San Antonio show back as a major show 10 years... He was so far out of the industry standards that it was not even comical. It was almost embarrassing. 
John Wayne... that's kinda what I wanted to say...somewhat but just didn't want to step on any toes!  We won't be going back to San Antonio personally anyway.

cowboybecoachin

I have seen this guy judge before, and in my opinion he is incompetent. And political, as in he helps his friends. There is no way this guy should judge any show, and especially what is supposed to be a major show like S.A. , although S.A. is not in the same class as Houston or Ft. Worth. Worst cattle barn, dark , crowded, dirty, can't hear the loudspeaker calling for classes, fewer calves in the sale, and lower prices, and now a poor judge.

JSchroeder

He did not pick the same style calf from class to class, much less division to division
That's my only complaint.  I can take not agreeing with a judge but with a good one you can at least have a good idea what he's going to pick after listening to him talk a few classes.

I heard thow that the Angus and Red Angus got hammered after Ft. Worth problems.
That's not true at all for the reds.  They only kicked three steers out of the 24 entered.

chambero

i only really watched him judge Wed, but I thought he was fine.  Don't know if he lost it after that.

JSchroeder

chambero, obviously there's quite a bit of sour grapes in Odems post.  It sure sounded like the reason you don't go to the computer right after that long ride home.

I didn't hear many complaints about him on Wednesday except that he was slow.  Sometime Thursday afternoon, he started swinging back toward muscle.  In the ABC classes Friday morning he started taking soggy cattle that seemed to be of a different type than he had with the American breeds the day before.  That’s why it was a solid bet Shackelford was going to take it.  You cited the nature of his reasons in your post on the front page that seemed to irk a lot more people than I would have expected.  One thing I heard a lot was he was finding the best calf in the group but his placings sort of fell apart after that.

One thing's for sure, in the end he found the best steer of the show.

johnwayne

I have never and will never argue with a judge, I will criticize him on his way to getting there.  When a kid can not show his/her animal or was told to pull that animal out before he gets there, That is not judging, he played favorates, and what appeared to be girls a lot of time. I did here this from several spectators not exhibitors parents,  When a judge switches his style half way through the show What does that say about the judge? You may see it as sour grapes, I see it as incompetence on a judges part. This is just one forum that you and I are venting or reading about.  I am disappointed yes, but more upset in the fact that San Antonio is our major of choice, it is close and with my work schedule is the only one we can participate in.  Yes San Antonio is old and has some facilities that are dated.  But is still a people show I feel that many of the exhibitors and parents get along a better in the San Antonio setting than in some other settings I have been too. My opinion. 

chappy

Bohnam had grand and if i had to bet Brian Martin had something to do with Reserve nice calves but very political

kobo_ranch

Totally agree with Cowboybecoachin and John Wayne... upset cause we chose SA and now with our schedule now can't make Houston.  Will be different next year.  JW is right he did favor the girls over the boys.  Plus one class there was a calf that got loose 3 or 4 different times from the gal and yes it was a pretty good calf but the only time he got to look was when it was running around the arena!  In Ft Worth they would have excused that calf.  I heard from several about him playing favorites on who he knew etc.  Bet the grand and reserve was political. 
Knew this went on in the 70's and 80's but was hoping it was maybe a thing of the past... now know the more things change the more they stay the same.

JSchroeder

Sorry but I'm calling whining b.s. on politics having anything to do with the top two.  Did you even see them? 

Of course the judge knew who they were.  If you don't you have no business being there.

There are very legit reasons to criticize McClintock but some of you are crossing the line into petty whining.

stangs13

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Sorry but I'm calling whining b.s. on politics having anything to do with the top two.  Did you even see them? 

Of course the judge knew who they were.  If you don't you have no business being there.

There are very legit reasons to criticize McClintock but some of you are crossing the line into petty whining.

Im with Jeff on this. The reason that Bohnam wins has nothing to do with the politics..its the cattle that they show up with...They started down at the bottom just like everyone else does, they just have got this figured out. Don't hate the player, hate the game...

Did he pick a different style of  steers each weight class or by each breed??

Latest posts