Selling only one calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

Okotoks said:
Cut the BS said:
Are you over the age of 17?  How about 15?  

If you think you know the cattle business as well as I do-- the next step will be learning to click the spell/ grammer check button as well as I do.  
Good grief Jody, if someone has good heifer and is enthusiastic why do you want to rain on their parade. Also if you are going to call her on her age isn't that a bit hypocritical of you considering past posts? Just saying.(oh by the way, it is spelt grammar)

depends on which dictionary you look at.  sorta like the canadians and 'colour' and the US and 'color'. 

Cowgirl94

Okotoks said:
Cut the BS said:

If you think you know the cattle business as well as I do-- the next step will be learning to click the spell/ grammer check button as well as I do.  
Good grief Jody, if someone has good heifer and is enthusiastic why do you want to rain on their parade. Also if you are going to call her on her age isn't that a bit hypocritical of you considering past posts? Just saying.(oh by the way, it is spelt grammar)

Thank you!!

kfacres

Cowgirl94 said:
Okotoks said:
Cut the BS said:

Thank you!!

so did you just turn 18?

Okotoks

Cut the BS said:
Okotoks said:
Cut the BS said:

depends on which dictionary you look at.  sorta like the canadians and 'colour' and the US and 'color'. 
You wouldn't BS me would you!

kfacres

Okotoks said:
Cut the BS said:
Okotoks said:
Cut the BS said:

You wouldn't BS me would you!

never.....

Cowgirl94 said:

what's the 94 stand for in your username?  Seems to me you're born in 94...

jaimiediamond

"Aim for the moon, if you miss you'll land among the stars"  is one of my favorite quotes. I think it applies to this topic. It never has hurt anyone to dream a little, and it has never ever hurt anyone to ask questions about promotion.

Every heifer I have ever shown in 4H and on the open circuit was my next great cow.  Ironically as it is implied a good show heifer is almost never a good cow all the females I have bred are descended from these show heifers (they hadn't failed my dreams and turned into fantastic producers). My sister felt the same way about hers as well and had the same results.   

Cowgirl94 how did you come up with which way you were going to breed your heifer?

Jody your website is very positive http://www.freewebs.com/kfacres/, your very positive regarding the Oxford program, perhaps you landed among the stars with Oxfords and forgot about the moon with cattle.

mooch

That is a very good read jamiediamond! I wonder if the girl that it talks about getting married in that piece knows about JK's secret life on Steer Planet being mean to kids ?

kfacres

jaimiediamond said:
Jody your website is very positive http://www.freewebs.com/kfacres/, your very positive regarding the Oxford program, perhaps you landed among the stars with Oxfords and forgot about the moon with cattle.

That's only on the website...  If you knew how I talked about most Oxford programs in person and the antics they pull.... You'd be thinking I should tone it down some, and my cattle rants are G Rated...  I have a reputation there too!

I'll tell you one thing...  I'm not a fan of outcross for a many good reason...  Sheep associations do not have 'legal' recording methods of genetic advancement of injection by other breeds; and most people fail to read the headines on a registration app-- instead of Date of Birth- I think they mistake it with Date of Weaning...

Wait, that's different than the cattle how?  

Overall, though, I give credit to cattle people in the world, and on this site mainly- as much as I dislike some (or most of them) the general IQ, and ability to distinguish quality livestock and the how to on how to make one... Is Stars and Moons over the sheep world.  I've been a mamber of about 3 or 4 online forumns pretty consistantely over the years-- and this is by my far a favorite.  

Now, if I was smart- I'd disperse the sheep and the cattle both.. and consentrate on the Cornish chickens...  I swear if I get another email requesting to purchase breeding stock or hatching eggs.. I'm going to flip...

kfacres

mooch said:
That is a very good read jamiediamond! I wonder if the girl that it talks about getting married in that piece knows about JK's secret life on Steer Planet being mean to kids ?

O she know... She thinks it's rediculous to even be a member of such an ordeal...  Don't worry though, without a doubt she's the boss... and she gets treated equally.... ;) (lol)

jaimiediamond

Cut the BS said:
That's only on the website...  If you knew how I talked about most Oxford programs in person and the antics they pull.... You'd be thinking I should tone it down some, and my cattle rants are G Rated...  I have a reputation there too!

I'll tell you one thing...  I'm not a fan of outcross for a many good reason...  Sheep associations do not have 'legal' recording methods of genetic advancement of injection by other breeds; and most people fail to read the headines on a registration app-- instead of Date of Birth- I think they mistake it with Date of Weaning...

Wait, that's different than the cattle how? 

Overall, though, I give credit to cattle people in the world, and on this site mainly- as much as I dislike some (or most of them) the general IQ, and ability to distinguish quality livestock and the how to on how to make one... Is Stars and Moons over the sheep world.  I've been a mamber of about 3 or 4 online forumns pretty consistantely over the years-- and this is by my far a favorite. 

Now, if I was smart- I'd disperse the sheep and the cattle both.. and consentrate on the Cornish chickens...  I swear if I get another email requesting to purchase breeding stock or hatching eggs.. I'm going to flip...

That is mildly disappointing I had thought you had found stock that you were positive about.  It turns out that your only happy when your negative.  Oh well to each their own

kfacres

To tell you the truth, I'm considering getting a 2nd breed of sheep just cuz I'm tired of all the BS that goes on in this breed.  I want to have something a little different to tinker around with, just cuz.  I had an offer the other day, of a guy to sell me 20 club lamb type ewes in the spring time- not sure what to think of that.. I know right, me and clubby animals- no way?

the border collies make me the most happy at this stage of the game- the others are just something to take care of, create travel, and expense...  I cannot get over how amazing they truly are.  I'd spend all day with them if I could.  The good bitch.. we'll she's a hell of a dog- straight from scotland.. and the young male is coming on quite strong... I think he'll be a better cattle dog, than the female- but then again he's from cattle lines.. Has more bite and not as good of an eye.  I'm hoping to get her bred this spring to the young pup... so we'll see what happens in the mean time...

Attachments

• colt.jpg
    colt.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 134
  • sweet.jpg
    sweet.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 146

MCC

Cowgirl 94 don't let anyone discourage you. I dream every time I breed a cow that I could get the next great one. Most of the time it doesn't work out the way I hoped it would but when it does there is nothing greater than raising a Res. National Champion or the high selling steer in Denver. I have always thought if a person doesn't have their dreams to keep them going especially in the hard times they don't have much to look forward to. Like we say in the racehorse business " Nobody ever committed suicide when he has a barn full of 2 year olds."

CarleyE

If the picture of the black heifer that you posted is the heifer we are talking about, she is a very nice looking heifer. What is her breeding?

CarleyE

Cut the BS said:
To tell you the truth, I'm considering getting a 2nd breed of sheep just cuz I'm tired of all the BS that goes on in this breed.  I want to have something a little different to tinker around with, just cuz.  I had an offer the other day, of a guy to sell me 20 club lamb type ewes in the spring time- not sure what to think of that.. I know right, me and clubby animals- no way?

the border collies make me the most happy at this stage of the game- the others are just something to take care of, create travel, and expense...  I cannot get over how amazing they truly are .  I'd spend all day with them if I could.  The good *****.. we'll she's a hell of a dog- straight from scotland.. and the young male is coming on quite strong... I think he'll be a better cattle dog, than the female- but then again he's from cattle lines.. Has more bite and not as good of an eye.  I'm hoping to get her bred this spring to the young pup... so we'll see what happens in the mean time...
jody do you breed border collies?

kfacres

CarleyE said:
Cut the BS said:

the border collies make me the most happy at this stage of the game- the others are just something to take care of, create travel, and expense...  I cannot get over how amazing they truly are .  I'd spend all day with them if I could.  The good *****.. we'll she's a hell of a dog- straight from scotland.. and the young male is coming on quite strong... I think he'll be a better cattle dog, than the female- but then again he's from cattle lines.. Has more bite and not as good of an eye.  I'm hoping to get her bred this spring to the young pup... so we'll see what happens in the mean time...

we have had several litters in the past-- but have not had any in a few years, due to no longer having a breeding male- matter of fact, our 3 year old black female is from the very last litter we had...  We bought a new male pup last spring that shows tremendous promise-- and so I think we'll try him out this spring to see if we can get another litter.  I've got quite a few people asking- although I don't like to use young dogs in breeding-- it's up to supply/ demand. 

CarleyE

Cut the BS said:
CarleyE said:
Cut the BS said:

we have had several litters in the past-- but have not had any in a few years, due to no longer having a breeding male- matter of fact, our 3 year old black female is from the very last litter we had...  We bought a new male pup last spring that shows tremendous promise-- and so I think we'll try him out this spring to see if we can get another litter.  I've got quite a few people asking- although I don't like to use young dogs in breeding-- it's up to supply/ demand. 
border collies make the best herding dogs by far in my opinion. It looks like you have some nice ones.

AAOK

AAOK said:

You are getting way ahead of yourself.  First, you need a live calf.  Also, a good or even a great heifer doesn't always produce a great calf; many great show ring heifers have NEVER produced a good calf.  If you get real lucky, and your heifer has a good calf, post pictures on the Steer Planet Classified section.  You will have a better chance selling a calf here than at someone Else's Sale.

There is no such thing as an Awesome Heifer!  Only GOD is Awesome!

After reading all the posts on this thread,  I STAND BY MY ORIGINAL POST!  My intent was to give some guidance to a very hopeful young lady.  Remember the old adage - Don't count your chickens before they hatch!  Dreams are Great!  Always Dream BIG!  If life gives you Lemons, make Lemonade!!

ONLY GOD IS WORTHY OF THE WORD AWESOME!             

advocate

Really is to bad that there is no smiley for tool. The two critics here have no business giving advice, but yet are too arrogant to realize it. Dont quit your dayjob, juicer.

Latest posts