Selling only one calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

I just hate seeing a young person who wants to be a part of the cattle industry shot down for dreaming about their future.

simba

Cowgirl94, don't listen to the critics who are trying to shoot you down for being optimisitc. In the cattle business you need to be optimistic in order to succeed. It is also important to be realistic with yourself. What I mean by this is even if you breed your heifer (who looks great in the picture by the way) to a great bull, the calf may not always turn out. My motto is "hope for the best but be ready to accept whatever the outcome is".  I think it is awesome that you are already looking for a place to market this calf when it is born, you just don't want to get over confident just incase something happens with the pregnancy or the calf simply doesn't turn out. I am only saying this because last year I had a bred that I was expecting such a wonderfull calve from have a low quality calf. I wish you all the best with your bred heifer and her calf!

And about what Cut the Bs said about age, please do not listen to that. Age does not determine how good of a cattle producer you are. I use myself as proof because I am a 16 year old girl. And I have raised cattle that have been named  4-H champions, a county champion, provincial reserve champions, a Western National Reserve champion, two reserve National champions and two National Champions. I was also the 2011 Canadian Junior Hereford Bonanza Premier Breeder and Intermedite Grand Aggregate. And I had an article published in Hereford's Today Magazine. So never let anyone tell you that you can't do something because of your age.

Good luck with your future in the cattle industry, if you can dream it you can achieve it!       

SSIMMENTALS

I think Larissa hit the nail on the head. You've got a good heifer that should be able to produce good calves. However, sometimes things just don't go as planned. Sometimes the heifer you think is going to be your weak link brings in the best calf and the great heifer has a runt or dies calving. It's great to plan, be optimistic, and enjoy thinking you have the best.(I know I've enjoyed doing all three.)  However, no one gets it right 100% of the time, and you never quit learning. I applaud your ambitions and confidence. Just be careful not to cross the line between confidence and overconfidence.

kfacres

jody do you breed border collies?
[/quote]  
[/quote]border collies make the best herding dogs by far in my opinion. It looks like you have some nice ones.
[/quote]
We've also been involved with Blue Heelers over the years.  Actually one of the best prospects I have had, was 1/2 border; 1/2 heeler.  Awesome pup, great ambition... but couldn't break him of chasing cars.. ended up killing him.  O well, would have happened someday anyways.  

I had debated breeding our 3 y.o. female to a heeler, from the standpoint of needing her to be more aggressive and calmer this spring... Which would have happened, had I not stumbled across this male pup this spring while shearing for a Southdown guy.  This pup came from more cattle working lines, that I had seen work in the past.  His maternal grandsire was a $10,000 dog, which I had seen sent out into a field of standing corn- to bring up a group of western, non dog broke calves up.  

I love the border collies, for their smarts- will to work- and talent.  Most good pups, know what to do, before they've ever been through training.  In most every case- the owner actually needs the training to accompany the dog, IMO.

This spring- after daylight gets long enough after I get home from work to actually do something... I plan to begin the training process on this one year old pup- my ideal goal is to be able to create a team of dogs, that can be sent out together to bring both kinds of stock home in fashion.  Ideally, if that works out, I may try to again locate and train a heeler to work as a trio... We'll see- that's probably 5 years down the road though.  

ETA- it's extremely tough for me to be able to get a dog who is rough and tough enough to work with the cows, yet timid and athletic enough to work the sheep.  It seems as if all, are one track minded...  I'm hoping that with more experience under the dog's belt, and with two of them working together (one of each kind)-- I'll better be able to create that tandom...  But, that's also why I'd like to have a heeler on board... something rough enough to get some respect built back up b/w dog and stock.

Something like this maybe ;) <beer>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

frostback

[.
[/quote]

I've been a mamber of about 3 or 4 online forumns pretty consistantely over the years-- and this is by my far a favorite.  
[/quote]

Spell check button not work.

kfacres

frostback said:

I've been a mamber of about 3 or 4 online forumns pretty consistantely over the years-- and this is by my far a favorite.  
[/quote]

Spell check button not work.
[/quote]

no kept freezing my computor... 

Did you get in a bad bag of candy... Your attitude seems bitter to me.

Cowgirl94

CarleyE said:
If the picture of the black heifer that you posted is the heifer we are talking about, she is a very nice looking heifer. What is her breeding?
Yes she is due in feb and is bred to I80 she is out of hairy and her mom is out of Ali

Cowgirl94

Larissa said:
Cowgirl94, don't listen to the critics who are trying to shoot you down for being optimisitc. In the cattle business you need to be optimistic in order to succeed. It is also important to be realistic with yourself. What I mean by this is even if you breed your heifer (who looks great in the picture by the way) to a great bull, the calf may not always turn out. My motto is "hope for the best but be ready to accept whatever the outcome is".  I think it is awesome that you are already looking for a place to market this calf when it is born, you just don't want to get over confident just incase something happens with the pregnancy or the calf simply doesn't turn out. I am only saying this because last year I had a bred that I was expecting such a wonderfull calve from have a low quality calf. I wish you all the best with your bred heifer and her calf!

And about what Cut the Bs said about age, please do not listen to that. Age does not determine how good of a cattle producer you are. I use myself as proof because I am a 16 year old girl. And I have raised cattle that have been named  4-H champions, a county champion, provincial reserve champions, a Western National Reserve champion, two reserve National champions and two National Champions. I was also the 2011 Canadian Junior Hereford Bonanza Premier Breeder and Intermedite Grand Aggregate. And I had an article published in Hereford's Today Magazine. So never let anyone tell you that you can't do something because of your age.

Good luck with your future in the cattle industry, if you can dream it you can achieve it!       

Thanks so much Larissa  I totally agree with everything you said !

bruiser

Hey Cowgirl94 your heifer looks awesome, I don't care what they think in AAOK's little world. Don't listen to the people who try to make your dreams fit their reality. If you like the heifer- Breed her! If the calf looks good - put him on the Planet. Someone will like him well enough to buy him. But do what you want- not some wiseguy from a thousand miles away.

advocate

You mispelled computer. You are the savior of our generation, in your own mind. Absolute genius

advocate

You have no friends in real life, and your too simple to pretend your a decent person online, so people all around the world dont like you. Congrats your stupidity has gone global.

bruiser

It's hard enough to raise kids these days. I'm sure Cowgirl94's parents are proud of her ,as they should be.  Sounds to me like she's thinking ahead  and planning her future.

A.C.C

JESUS CHRIST (first God now Jesus Christ...wheres the easter bunny? (lol)) i think you all would have alot better cattle if u spent as much time working them as you have done tryin to shoot down someone else's dream(im not your cattle are bad just sayin they could be better...there hasnt been a perfect one yet otherwise everyone would have a clone)...for cryin out loud she ask how to market a single calf not start a 4 page debate on criticism....LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR THIS **** (argue)!!! GETTA LIFE....AND YES GETTA IS SPELLED WRONG ON PURPOSE O0 (clapping)

how do u start a business without a marketing plan?...u go bankrupt :)

A.C.C

advocate said:
You have no friends in real life, and your too simple to pretend your a decent person online, so people all around the world dont like you. Congrats your stupidity has gone global.

Congrats your stupidity has gone global. (lol) (clapping) (clapping) (lol)
this is now one of my quotes on facebook and i tweeted this quoting u (clapping)

CarleyE

Cut the BS said:
jody do you breed border collies?

[/quote]border collies make the best herding dogs by far in my opinion. It looks like you have some nice ones.
[/quote]
We've also been involved with Blue Heelers over the years.  Actually one of the best prospects I have had, was 1/2 border; 1/2 heeler.  Awesome pup, great ambition... but couldn't break him of chasing cars.. ended up killing him.  O well, would have happened someday anyways.  

I had debated breeding our 3 y.o. female to a heeler, from the standpoint of needing her to be more aggressive and calmer this spring... Which would have happened, had I not stumbled across this male pup this spring while shearing for a Southdown guy.  This pup came from more cattle working lines, that I had seen work in the past.  His maternal grandsire was a $10,000 dog, which I had seen sent out into a field of standing corn- to bring up a group of western, non dog broke calves up.  

I love the border collies, for their smarts- will to work- and talent.  Most good pups, know what to do, before they've ever been through training.  In most every case- the owner actually needs the training to accompany the dog, IMO.

This spring- after daylight gets long enough after I get home from work to actually do something... I plan to begin the training process on this one year old pup- my ideal goal is to be able to create a team of dogs, that can be sent out together to bring both kinds of stock home in fashion.  Ideally, if that works out, I may try to again locate and train a heeler to work as a trio... We'll see- that's probably 5 years down the road though.  

ETA- it's extremely tough for me to be able to get a dog who is rough and tough enough to work with the cows, yet timid and athletic enough to work the sheep.  It seems as if all, are one track minded...  I'm hoping that with more experience under the dog's belt, and with two of them working together (one of each kind)-- I'll better be able to create that tandom...  But, that's also why I'd like to have a heeler on board... something rough enough to get some respect built back up b/w dog and stock.

Something like this maybe ;) <beer>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

[/quote]that is really cool! I got that video in an email one time. That's amazing! A lot of effort was put into that

Latest posts