Semen decisions

Help Support Steer Planet:

WinterSpringsFarm

With a semen tank in my near future I am looking for some semen to put in it. For the near future I need 2 good heifer safe bulls that can transmit some stylish genetics that I can continue to build a herd upon. And for the distant future I want some bulls that I can get not only heifers I can continue to build a good herd upon but also market. (I prefer to be more maternal than terminal) I also would prefer clean bulls.

Here is a list I have so far. I love hearing from other people's experience and their thoughts on these bulls and others.

Talladega 3X
Sull Payday
Hot Commodity
I-80
Mercedes Benz
Yellow Jacket
Young Money
AT Rock and Roll Train
Maine Aim Ranch Bo Diddley
Comfort Zone

Fire away

shortybreeder

I like the I-80 for heifer safe and stylish, never seen a daughter in production so idk about that side for him. Hot Commodity is a good one, but last I heard his semen was off the market. PM me if you find some though! Not enough experience with the rest to comment.

mark tenenbaum

Rock N roll train can be used on hiefers if they are low BW Genetics:Ive seen some real good low BW calves out of him,but both sides have to be CE.Hot Commodity, I-80,Comfort Zone,and Mercedes Benz are hiefer bulls and 4 of the best OF ANY BREED- I wouldnt touchTalladega with a welders glove for BWS,Young Money isnt real bad on a cow-not a hiefer bull-niether are the rest, other than the main Aime bull-only because I dont remember what he is: he may be fine O0

WinterSpringsFarm

Talledega was my future bull, his CE is a bit rough.

Shame about Hot Commodity semen, he was certainly one of my favorites.

Rumor Mill has been brought to my attention so I did some quick looking and I really like his style as well.

wjmcattle

Talledega isn't bad but bigger bw
Sull Payday- low bw but won't help front end style
Hot Commodity- off market, good quality but can throw some narrow ones every now and again.
I-80- great show calves with low bw but I've had one just not grow.
Mercedes Benz- calving ease but can get a lil straighter fronted
Yellow Jacket- makes both terminal and maternal. Not ce and can have some attitude
Young Money- never used him. Some like him and sell some good ones but he's not my kind
AT Rock and Roll Train- can be a bit clubby and might not be ideal for heifers compared to others.
Maine Aim Ranch Bo Diddley - never used him
Comfort Zone- calves I've seen are decent. No big holes but no production daughters that I know of.

WinterSpringsFarm

Thanks wjmcattle

Does anyone have thoughts for a suitable replacement for Hot Commodity? His son Commotion?