Semen - Weebollabolla Theodore T85

Help Support Steer Planet:

uluru

Does anyone know if there is semen cleared and available for Canada from the subject Australian sire.
Can Reg #X-/////9can0M471844
US Reg # 4070921
If so who might have some for sale?

OH Breeder

You may want to try these links. Second one has semen for sale.

http://www.weebollabolla.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=3/#sires
http://www.marellan.com/Content.asp?regID=11254&id=41818

http://www.shorthorn.co.nz/ai-sires.html

garybob

JbarL said:
beautiful animal.... :)...how old is he??  jbarl
Just wondering why, He isn't more popular in North America. Interested in hearing answers from Non-Shorthorn breeders and Commercial Cattlemen, in addition to the usual crowd of Shorthorn enthusiasts.

Doc

garybob said:
JbarL said:
Just wondering why, He isn't more popular in North America. Interested in hearing answers from Non-Shorthorn breeders and Commercial Cattlemen, in addition to the usual crowd of Shorthorn enthusiasts.
The Theo cattle I've seen have not been very impressive. WHR used him & they sure didn't set the world on fire there.

Doc

uluru said:
Does anyone know if there is semen cleared and available for Canada from the subject Australian sire.
Can Reg #X-/////9can0M471844
US Reg # 4070921
If so who might have some for sale?
Contact Robert Alden & ask him.

shortdawg

Most of his calves I've seen were just average. I'm sure they would make good commercial cows.

NHR

I have only seen one good calf out of Theo. All the others were just average or below. If I was starting a commercial herd of shorthorns I would go to Waukaru and use the Goldmine Bull. His calves are above average and the background data on the Waukaru bulls is second to none.

shortyjock89

Our last herd bull was one of the first calves out of Goldmine 2109, he was out of a Waukaru Minnie cow too.  We had two complete calf crops out of him, and we liked what we saw, with the exception of two calves.  Right now, we have a heifer out of the Goldmine son that is pretty good and we will be putting her on the Illinois state sale this spring, and we have a steer out of the bull that is pretty dang good too.  I would use Waukaru genetics before I would use Theo.

garybob

NHR said:
I have only seen one good calf out of Theo. All the others were just average or below. If I was starting a commercial herd of shorthorns I would go to Waukaru and use the Goldmine Bull. His calves are above average and the background data on the Waukaru bulls is second to none.
Ok. Next question. What defines ''a good one''?

garybob

Doc said:
garybob said:
JbarL said:
The Theo cattle I've seen have not been very impressive. WHR used him & they sure didn't set the world on fire there.
Doc, from what I saw (in the catalog, last years' sale) the bred heifers sired by him looked pretty good. Maybe that was nutrition, I can't say for sure, but, they seemed to be very consistent, and, all of 'em had a broody,  "cow" look to them. Being Australian-bred, I'd say to biggest detractant to You All  would be the fact that they were slick-haired. Duh! They're heat-adapted cattle, and, therefore, won't have the "great, workable hair".

Just my opinion,
GB

shortyjock89

I don't mind most Australian-bred cattle. Dunbeacon Venture is one of my all-time favorite bulls, but I would say that the biggest problem that I have with the Theo cattle is that the ones that I've seen were far too coarse.  I have a small operation, and I'll admit, we do like to have that hair, but we also have to have cows that can produce some higher-dollar calves if we want to keep running them. The Waukaru genetics add the performance and broodiness to the herd without getting too coarse, and they don't breed for hair, but we've never had trouble getting hair on a Waukaru-bred animal.  All in all, I would say that Theo cattle are fantastic if you can run 200 of them. They will most likely be fantastic grazers and will be able to raise a heavy calf all on their own, but I don't think they would fit in my herd very well.

garybob

shortdawg said:
Most of his calves I've seen were just average. I'm sure they would make good commercial cows.
Dawg, I'd say they're also more adaptable to places like mine& yours (Heat, Humidity, Fescue, Bermudagrass, Ticks&Worms&Flies). I'd also say, by looking at the "Breds" that sold at WHR last year, they'd be the kind that'd nick with your Jazz Son.

Right now, the Angus breed is making a fortune by producing "average-performing", plain, slick-haired heifers that mature into good commercial cows.
I also think the reason Theodore didn't click with our Cows up here, and, I don't wish to offend anyone, but, look at the hodgepodge mix of (inconsistent) genetics that our Shorthorn breed has evolved into.

Doc

garybob said:
Doc said:
garybob said:
JbarL said:
Doc, from what I saw (in the catalog, last years' sale) the bred heifers sired by him looked pretty good. Maybe that was nutrition, I can't say for sure, but, they seemed to be very consistent, and, all of 'em had a broody,  "cow" look to them. Being Australian-bred, I'd say to biggest detractant to You All  would be the fact that they were slick-haired. Duh! They're heat-adapted cattle, and, therefore, won't have the "great, workable hair".

Just my opinion,
GB
GB, As far those breds go , everyone of mine could look pretty consistent & broody if I could afford to feed free choice catfish food also. As far as Aussie cattle go I just shipped my Super Dazzler son after using him for 5 years & only shippped him because of an injury. I used Spry's Cyclone in his day also. Fact is I'm fixing to flush our Sonny x Augusta Pride 6127 dtr to Spr Dazzler. So no I don't have anything against Aussie cattle , fact is I really admire them in many ways, just like having to stand on concrete for about 365 days getting ready for the Japanese market. What I have no use for is smaller made, non performing , coarse made cattle with a bad repuatation with other breeders that make it tuff to market them at sales. I try raise cattle that will work for me & the people I sale to, & Theo cattle don't fill that bill for me. Different cattle work for different programs.(Thank goodness). ;D

DL

shortdawg said:
GB, Not to change the subject but I hear you all are getting Petrino ( ? ) :-\ (dog)

gee shortdawg - that sounds painful? is it a disease? hope it ain't contagious  ;)

uluru

I have 3 Goldmine 2109 daughters.
They all look good and are very consistant in structure, color and temperament.
The progeny from the Waukaru cattle that I have seen at Crooked Post shorthorns in Alberta
all look very good and perform well.

I have had mixed reports on Theodore.
I am considering using him for a flush and freeze the embryos to be part of my bank for sale globally.

shortyisqueen

I am curious as to the marketability of Theo sired embryos. He certainly has not gotten the greatest reviews on here. If you are flushing a cow whose offspring are well proven and highly marketable, then Theo as an outcross might not be a bad idea. If the cow is not herself well known for producing something that can win or top a sale (and thus you cannot sell the embryos on her merits), these embryos could be sitting in your tank for a very long time.

Trying to bring 'outcross embryos' to a global market which knows nothing about the product you are selling can cost you a great deal of time and money in advertising. Why not let someone else do the advertising for you?

itk

Another problem with Theo's popularity is that he was originally syndicated. The people that bought the original shares were the people who we all look to for showring dominance(Alden, Razor etc..) when the calves were not what these people expected his popularity all but disappeared. Like so many bulls before him he was supposed to be the next great outcross sire. I think if he would have got marketed differently from the start, as a commercial oriented bull instead of a outcross to Trump, DV and the rest, he would have gotten used more. When he first came out Dugdale tried to get me to buy some Dream Girl X Theo embryos saying that the resulting offspring would be the ultimate outcross individuals. Luckily for us we were a few dollars short on the bid and it was the only time Mike ever tried to led us astray on a purchase. Even though it is a completely different pedigree I would recommend 844 instead of Theo for a flush. To me 844 dose so many of the things that most thought Theo would do, like be red, polled, calving ease, be commercially acceptable while still having some of that showring look.