Shorthorn Breeding

Help Support Steer Planet:

DFSC

I am getting ready to order some semen for the fall and need some advice. I have all registered shorthorns and am shooting to raise some show steers. What bulls come to mind? Some of my breeding consists of AOD, JPJ, Pacer, Trump, ALM surf, and Gizmo. I am open to registered and cross breed bulls.

Thank you in advance!

Jordan

shorthornmn

If you want a Really cool purebresd steer try exile. He is a bull that hueber is promoting. Go on their website and take a look at his pick and you will fall in love with him. I have seen him in person and he can.Really.get out and move so if you get a heifer you won't be stuck with a bad one. Goof luck breeding!

Doc

Jordan, The Trumps won't get you the show steers. It will depend on the size of your cows and how they are bred, also. Gizmo and JPJ will take them down in size a notch or three(especially JPJ). I like the looks of Hidden Treasure, but you have to buy a share. I like the looks of Buddy Love also. Do you care if they are carriers or not?

marsh

It always depends on the cows, but I would suggest you take a look at FSF Starburst.  I have seen some really powerful steers out of him this Spring.  He has worked well on purebred and black cattle from what i have seen. 

I would suggest Swagger. He will give you some steers with a ton of muscle, bone, and dimension. His heifers still have a very nice femine look without lacking muscle or bone. (thumbsup)

shortii

I sold a sonny Deuce steer 2 years ago that did quite well here in Michigan and have a real nice heifer calf by him this year. If I were to cross any up I would say Hairy Bear works really well on Shorthorns and have seen some really cool Eye Candy calves as well.

OH Breeder

DFSC said:
I am getting ready to order some semen for the fall and need some advice. I have all registered shorthorns and am shooting to raise some show steers. What bulls come to mind? Some of my breeding consists of AOD, JPJ, Pacer, Trump, ALM surf, and Gizmo. I am open to registered and cross breed bulls.

Thank you in advance!

Jordan

You have to admit Double Stuff brought a lot to the table prior to genetic defects for shorthorn show steers. As well as Double Vision. Both those sires make great terminal cross. Fringe has gained some ground and I have seen some awesome Starburst calves, very clubby. I would steer away from anything Trump for clubby steers. JMO.
I like Jake's Proud Jazz and Gizmo both for taking frame out of a cow and bringing them down and more moderate. Both seem to produce easier fleshing calves that are more clubby in nature.

kfacres

OH Breeder said:
DFSC said:

Thank you in advance!

Jordan

You have to admit Double Stuff brought a lot to the table prior to genetic defects for shorthorn show steers. As well as Double Vision. Both those sires make great terminal cross. Fringe has gained some ground and I have seen some awesome Starburst calves, very clubby. I would steer away from anything Trump for clubby steers. JMO.
I like Jake's Proud Jazz and Gizmo both for taking frame out of a cow and bringing them down and more moderate. Both seem to produce easier fleshing calves that are more clubby in nature.

i just stumbled onto a program with a ton of Gizmo influence, and just added quite a bit to my program as well through purchases from him.  This guy's had probably 40 or so Gizmo daughters, and used a couple of sons-- not to mention the purchase of a group of Elbee bred cattle.  He tells me they'll be moderate cows, with a LONG growth curve-- they won't quit growing until hitting 3.5 or 4 years old.  The Gizmo's Image deal- almost ended up at his place-- but at the last minute he didn't-- he ended up AI'ing with him--- and that deal was a FLOP>

So, now that we all agree Gizmo is good---  can anyone afford to breed with $300 semen, or should we just forget about it? 

My next herd bull will be from a Gizmo dtr, and he's neat.

OH Breeder

outspoken said:
OH Breeder said:
DFSC said:

Thank you in advance!

Jordan

i just stumbled onto a program with a ton of Gizmo influence, and just added quite a bit to my program as well through purchases from him.  This guy's had probably 40 or so Gizmo daughters, and used a couple of sons-- not to mention the purchase of a group of Elbee bred cattle.  He tells me they'll be moderate cows, with a LONG growth curve-- they won't quit growing until hitting 3.5 or 4 years old.  The Gizmo's Image deal- almost ended up at his place-- but at the last minute he didn't-- he ended up AI'ing with him--- and that deal was a FLOP>

So, now that we all agree Gizmo is good---  can anyone afford to breed with $300 semen, or should we just forget about it? 

I don't know where you are buying your Gizmo. I just bought 5 straws for $75. I guess I look at the quality of cow I am gonna get. If I could get two cows that do what Gizmo provides its worth the $150.
I have been to the farm that used Gizmo Image and it was by no means a flop. He left some good cows behind. Scott is on here (Gizmo Image) and his farm is just an hour from Columbus.

kfacres

OH Breeder said:
outspoken said:
OH Breeder said:
DFSC said:

Thank you in advance!

Jordan

I don't know where you are buying your Gizmo. I just bought 5 straws for $75. I guess I look at the quality of cow I am gonna get. If I could get two cows that do what Gizmo provides its worth the $150.
I have been to the farm that used Gizmo Image and it was by no means a flop. He left some good cows behind. Scott is on here (Gizmo Image) and his farm is just an hour from Columbus.

Wait, I think we're talking about two different bulls--- I'm talking about "Wymore", not Gizmo's Image...  my mistake...  Wymore doesn't live in OH>

oldwood

check out white jazz on executive sires page  and a thread on here, im sure dustin glover could fill you in on his calves, he looks pretty good.

justintime

I'm going to toss a couple bulls into this discussion that I think will sire some very good steers.

The first is HC FLTouchdown 123T ET, who was the 2009 Canadian National Champion. Touchdown is siring moderate framed. thick calves with very good eye appeal. He is also calving very good.  Touchdown semen is available from Genex, Cattlevisions, SEK Genetic Horizons, or from the owners( Jamie Whitworth or myself).

The  second bull is Shady Lane Rockstar 9X . Rockstar was 2011 Agribition Champion bull and he has looked powerful at all stages of his life. He had a 82 lb BW and has great muscle design and expression. He is very well balanced and has great eye appeal. His semen is available from Cattlevisions and we also have semen stored at Hawkeye Breeders, Adel, IA. Rockstar has also been verified to be homozygous polled.

I think both these sires will sire good saleable calves of either sex. Our Touchdown heifers look like they are going to make excellent brood cows as well. Their are no Rockstar calves yet but his mother and his two full sisters are excellent females, so I expect he will produce the same kind.

Attachments

• Touchdown sm.jpg
    Touchdown sm.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Shady Lane Rockstar sm.jpg
    Shady Lane Rockstar sm.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 184

RyanChandler

There's not a bull out there that will throw clubby bull calves as well as the femininity needed in females to produce functional brood cows. 

The characteristics are antagonistic by nature. 

aj

I was going to say the same x-bar. Can you even have a bull that sire clubby if he's not a th carrier though?

DFSC

Thank you everyone for your responses! Here are a couple of bulls that I have come up with -

HD Swagger
Eye Candy (I see so many nice calves out of him ... will he work?)
EUC Tabasco (Anyone had any calves out of him?)
Smilin Bob (Will he work on shorthorn cattle?)
Buddy Love
Medicine Man (Looks like a new bull .. What do yall think?)

I am try to go outside the box a little. All of my cows should be TH and PHA free by pedigree. Anyone have any other ideas or comments? Thank you in advance for your help!

Jordan

dsmith16

DFSC said:
Thank you everyone for your responses! Here are a couple of bulls that I have come up with -

HD Swagger
Eye Candy (I see so many nice calves out of him ... will he work?)
EUC Tabasco (Anyone had any calves out of him?)
Smilin Bob (Will he work on shorthorn cattle?)
Buddy Love
Medicine Man (Looks like a new bull .. What do yall think?)

I am try to go outside the box a little. All of my cows should be TH and PHA free by pedigree. Anyone have any other ideas or comments? Thank you in advance for your help!

Jordan

Both Eye Candy and Smilin Bob have been proven with shorthorn cows. The grand shorthorn plus steer at Junior Nationals was an Eye Candy x Vegas. There was also a nice heifer there out of EC that Trausch raised. I think she placed in the middle of her class but she was still great. I saw a nice SB shorthorn plus heifer last fall but I dont remember the dams side. Just make sure that the cow bred to Bob is longed necked, he seems a little choked to me. Anyway, I would definitely try out Eye Candy. Jmo.

J

JTM

I have heard pretty good things about the Tabasco bull in the clubby scene. He may also be decent on calving ease.

sjcattleco

-XBAR- said:
There's not a bull out there that will throw clubby bull calves as well as the femininity needed in females to produce functional brood cows.   

You could not be any more incorrect if you tried. If you have a bull like Gizmo or Gizmos Image or American Muscle  or you have females that produce bulls like them you would see that it can be done.  They are not antagonistic they are just impossible to accomplish using 99% of the crappy feminine bulls out there

justintime

sjcattleco said:
-XBAR- said:

You could not be any more incorrect if you tried. If you have a bull like Gizmo or Gizmos Image or American Muscle  or you have females that produce bulls like them you would see that it can be done.  They are not antagonistic they are just impossible to accomplish using 99% of the crappy feminine bulls out there

I agree with sjcattleco on this. The most fertile, feminine females in any breed come from the more masculine sires. We have a problem in most breeds, of to many mature herd sires looking like steers or late cut oxen at the least. I"m not sure why this has happened but I put some of the blame on judges and breeders who analyize bulls in the same way they do a set of steers. IMO, the best breeding herd sires have some crest and a masculine head shape. They probably will, have some thickness through their shoulder and a bit more brisket than a show steer would, just because this is part of the presentation of masculinity in a male. When I was growing up, I was always told that the best breeding bulls had lots of curly hair on their heads. It has been many years since I heard anyone mention this one, but I think what the old timers were saying back then, was that masculine sires are the best breeding bulls.
I have been at places where you have to look for their herd sire among the cows when you drive into their pasture. A good herd sire should stand out from looking different amongst a herd of cows.

I have attached a picture of a bull that I have always thought of as being masculine. He also left a lot of good offspring of both sexes. His sons are masculine and resemble the offensive line of any great football team. His daughters are feminine, maternal and fertile and resemmble the cheerleaders of any great football team. This is Saskvalley Navajo 153M

Attachments

• Saskvalley Navajo 3.jpg
    Saskvalley Navajo 3.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 152