Shorthorn bull for lighter cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

They are moderate framed and for the most part well put together but just lack power. Tend to pass that on to the calves

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Well it just depends on their breeding, sometimes with the outcross you will have a very high variation of calves. I would like to know their actual breeding, its easy just too eye ball it but you probly wont get the results that you want. I would say that you need breed them to something that is similar in breeding but still has been proven to increase frame size either through the bull or other like brothers. Find out what their frame score is and try different bulls that way you have an idea of what works on your herd. Then frame score all the calves that you get from this crop to determine which bull did the best for you. I am more partial to the Trump and Rodeo Drive bulls, but like i say it might just be a total out cross for you. Plus you might want to find out if anyone has any cattle bred like yours to see what they are doing to increase mass. Or i would talk to K-Kim talk about some good functional cattle with some mass and depth, but im still partial to the Trump sons.

sue

Let me know if you need semen on Trump or Rodeo Drive or both - I have two breeders in Michigan ready to sell both - high quality and one owner.

Davis Shorthorns

OLD WORLD SHORTIE said:
. I am more partial to the Trump and Rodeo Drive bulls, but like i say it might just be a total out cross for you.

They still want a low BW that would work for heifers.  I have seen Captain in person and alot of his sons and daughers and if you want a lower bw with loads of muscle and depth now if you are wanting something a little larger framed I would use a bull like ArSuLu Massive or his daddy Gold Spear. 

sue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smB1v63n2nk

I just made this video for someone - it's geered for the daughters of Captain but the sons are doing a great job too.  A&T Captain Obvious is 2100 lbs in the pasture, his two year olds weigh 1200 at calving and weigh that or more now.  We are thrilled with the volume of semen sold to all breeders both SH and commerical. I am anxious to see about 40 ET CO calves this winter out of Registered Black Angus females- Matt you were invited to fly down with me but I think you're getting married that weekend :)