Shorthorn bull for lighter cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

Im looking to use a shorthorn this year and I want one that can add mass to my cows but one that still has good calving ease for heifers.

nck21

There's this bull called Lucky Ralph. Mark T on here used him on a heifer and sold the calf for $3,000+. He's Gizmo x Double Stuffs full sister.

OH Breeder

Are you looking to increase frame size or overrall dimension. I would say that there are two bulls I have seen work in different ways.
If you want to add some size and volume Wolf Willow Major Leroy would do that for you. If you want to add some shape and dimension go with Gizmo- if you do'nt want to spend the money on semen he has a son Wymore that seems to be breeding like his poppa. Gizmo has added muscle shape and volume but didn't give us a ton of bone. We were really happy with Gizmo's. You could always try one of the unproven bulls, Off Road looked promising at when he was Ohio Beef Expo.  What bloodlines are your cows? That also makes a world of difference as some bloodlines click better with others. IE: we have had luck with sonny lines on double stuff lines and vice versa. We used Gizmo on some clubbier cattle and he clicked pretty good.

justintime

Major Leroy will certainly add volume and muscle.  I have only seen him add size in a few rare occasions. Most of his offsprng in our herd mature at a smaller frame than their dams. They are also the easiest fleshing cattle I have ever owned, and they are also the quietest ones as well. Only problem is that Semex is sold out of Leroy and they have no plans to collect him again. There may be some left at some of the distributors, I don't know, but I have had several people inquire to me lately asking where they can get some.There is a picture on the pasture pics thread of Leroy on pasture last week.

Another bull that will add a pile of mass to his offspring is Saskvalley Pioneer 126P. Pioneer is homozygous polled as well and I have semen at Hawkeye yet.

Attachments

• Saskvalley Pioneer 126P- CWA- front shot sm.jpeg
    Saskvalley Pioneer 126P- CWA- front shot sm.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 239

knabe

justintime said:
Only problem is that Semex is sold out of Leroy and they have no plans to collect him again.

gotta be a conspiracy.  when they say things like no plans, it's a ploy to get people to call to get a feel for demand. 

sue

Dozer45 said:
Im looking to use a shorthorn this year and I want one that can add mass to my cows but one that still has good calving ease for heifers.

Attachments

• captainobvious_shrunk.jpg
    captainobvious_shrunk.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 174

sue

sue said:
Dozer45 said:
[/quote.
A&T Captain Obvious is available through Cattlevisions- His Reg # is 4113971 . Good Calving ease numbers and very moderate frame. Photo taken at age 4. If you need dark roan look at his son Lakeside Nitro- his first calves are here this spring. Good Luck and glad you are interested in shorthorns.

linnettejane

i have two major leroys that i absolutely love!  they are moderate framed, very easy keeping, AND the best dispositions!!!  i can walk right up to both of them and lay halters on them...i seriously wouldnt mind having a whole field full of them...i hope semex draws more semen by next year, because id really like to hit my whole herd with him....

here's a pic of them, taken last week, yearlings...

Attachments

• 100_8660a.jpg
    100_8660a.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 196

coyote

Here is a bull that I think is what you are looking for , Saskvalley Bonanza . also  pictured below is one of his daughters.
Ps; don't listen to anything JIT or Sue tell you. just joking, those are also  good bulls that will work.

Attachments

• Bonanza - Copy.jpg
    Bonanza - Copy.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 168
  • cows 028 - Copy.JPG
    cows 028 - Copy.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 201

Endless Meadows

I would have to agree with pretty much all of the above mentioned bulls, and most are in my tank.  I would also like to add one of our bulls, Ar Su Lu Brass to the list.  He hasn't been used anywhere other than our herd but we did just get semen collected.  He is a Gizmo son out of a Vann X Goldspear cow that goes back to the Saskvalley Brenda Cow Family.  His calves are moderate framed and expressive in their muscle pattern.  We have used him on heifers with quite a bit of success

Attachments

• brass7.JPG
    brass7.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 234

justintime

coyote said:
Here is a bull that I think is what you are looking for , Saskvalley Bonanza . also  pictured below is one of his daughters.
Ps; don't listen to anything JIT or Sue tell you. just joking, those are also  good bulls that will work.

Coyote, I thought you would be out jumping in the mud puddles yet! It is not often you or I get to see water falling from the sky like this. Great for pastures and hay land, not so great for grain farmers who are still trying to get a crop in the ground. It has been years and year ( maybe decades) since I saw water in fields like this.  And by the way, Bonanza is a great choice for adding mass to a cow. All the other bulls mentioned will also do a good job, but I can think of no bull that will add as much depth and volume as Bonanza.

sue

coyote said:
Coyote
Did you sell all of the puppies? That Bonanza daughter looks pretty good.

mark tenenbaum

I used Lucky Ralph -Ist caf (out of first calver) $3900- second (and the better of 2-) $2000-sold in a non-shorthorn sale-had one other that didnt turn out-from a different cow-but was small at birth too-hes PHA-bred 2 a clean one-you may get a clean one. ALM Chiller-is a (many years) proven calving ease deal-who combines Sonny-Kaba breeding-and has sired alot of really nice,moderate,stout  hiefers-and steers-off the bat-he pretty well fits the description of what you want to a tee. O0

shortyjock89

Our bull is young, mostly unproven (except for our herd this year), and kinda differently bred....but he is really good. And his calves are even better. Best set we've ever had so far, and we've only had about 1/3 of what we will out of him this year so far.  He's a Wernacres Ace High x Sonny, raised by Raisbeck's, and owned by us and Vogel Family Shorthorns.  Hi View Red Diamond is his name.  The highest BW we've had on him is 85lbs so far, and we only pulled that calf because we had a graduation to get to that night and didn't feel like checking cows when we got home.  Too early to tell what he will do with frame, but he is moderate, red, polled, and will put muscle and SHAG on the calves.

100_0652.jpg

Millbrookshortys

We used AR SU LU Massive 3140 for the first time time and couldnt be more pleased with his offspring. Not only have they had low birth weights but gained like you wouldnt believe! I dont think you could go wrong by using MAssive.