Shorthorn Heifer Opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShowmanQ

I posted a picture of this heifer on here a while back but wanted some more opions on the new picture. This picture is from Thanksgiving weekend. She is a Feb. WHR ROMEO out of  a TRUMP cow. Clean both ways. I do know that she needs much more clipping to be fine tuned. I would like opions on phenotype, structure(at least from  the picture) and what you think she may breed good with. Thanks a lot

Attachments

• sassy in lima.jpg
    sassy in lima.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 463

mechanic

I saw a bull on Jeff Aegerter"s web site named HVR Goold 002 3119. He is by Gold OO2 and out of a Red Riders Drive cow. He is roan and looks like he has a tremendous amount of hip and top in him. I did some more investigating and found that he was Senior Champion at the National in Denver 2006. I ordered some semen from B-Good Livestock - Tim Loudon @ 641-344-6347. I think it was $20 a straw plus certificate. Check out is picture on Aegerter's site you might like him.

uluru

HVR Gold 002 3119 is owned by Hunt Farms in Ontario. Semen is available at Tim's
I have seen him in his working clothes and recently when he has had a bit of a rest. He looks good. Deep, thick, good top  and structurally correct
His EPD's are good from a growth aspect and not bad from a calving ease side.
Ultra sound is very good.
I may use him for a flush on a cow I recently acquired from Bakenhus'

Bawndoh

She looks like a good little heifer overall.  Good bone, hair, long spined, and refined in her front.  It may be the clipping, or the way she is set up, but she drops behind her shoulder a bit, and is quite high in her flank.  Usually Shorthorns dont have a problem with this, but perhaps the bull you choose will fix this.  She also looks slightly sickle hocked, but in a good way.  It is better to have more flex in those hocks, than not enough (post legged).  Watch a Kirk Steirwelt (spelling) video...it should help you figure out how to take off the back half of her belly hair without wrecking her.  It acutally makes them look a lot better if you can clip that hair properly, versus leaving it long.  Most people would think it helps her look deeper, but if done properly, it will look A+!!  When clipping her top, be careful right behind her shoulder not to peel it off too much (being that she drops there).  You asked for opinions, so there was mine.  Cute lil girl she is though!  Congrats....is she home grown?

ShowmanQ

Bawndoh,
Thanks for the opinions. I appreciate hearing peoples feedback. Sadly enough she is not homegrown, but i bought her from a breeder in southern OH in an attempt to start revamping my herd and add more registered Shorthorn females. I would like to be able to clip up the belly hair toward her flank so that it is not so shaggy. I am taking her to a show this weekend so i will work on her underline tommorrow when we get there.