Shorthorn heifer, your opinions please

Help Support Steer Planet:

CPL

That is an outstanding heifer! I absolutely love her rear quarter. Do you have a shot from behind? The biggest fault that comes to mind is her front end. Some more extension wouldn't hurt and it would make her much more feminine.

knabe

CPL said:
That is an outstanding heifer! I absolutely love her rear quarter. Do you have a shot from behind? The biggest fault that comes to mind is her front end. Some more extension wouldn't hurt and it would make her much more feminine.

i'll agree with above.  would like to see a little more base width.  also a little more distribution of flexibility away from her withers towards the rear.  i'd probably be more concerned about the femininity of her head as opposed to her neck, though obviously she could use some from the show ring perspective.

kane1598

distribution of flexibiltity?  that sounds a little crazy and I think it is extremely hard to judge base width from that angle. I think the heifer is very broody and soft in her appearance, just would like her extended and cleaned up in her head and neck.  Good luck.

OH Breeder

my opinion

Like her length of body and depth of rib
has that "soft" cowy look, nice hair
would like to extend her neck out some- there are enough rocket fronted bulls out there today that will help with that. i do not see that as a big draw back. It will be a matter of trial and error in the mating process
Overrall she looks like she will make a cow.

PhilMcKracken

Thanks for the comments, guys.  This is the heifer that will be in the Ks Beef Expo, she will sell Dec. 13 @ 5:30 in Hutchinson, Ks.  As far as what she is, simply put she is a line bred Double Duty 6294, this bull as been the cornerstone of our program.  Jasmine's sire, the leadoff bull in our Denver and Ks Expo pens two years ago, is one of the best we've ever scanned and combined with his birth to weaning spread and the ability to grow out to yearling, we think he is moving us in the right direction.  We have his first real calf crop on the ground this fall.  Her mother goes back to a little cow that came from the Slack herd from WY, that has now sinced been dispersed, but was known for low maintenance, easy keeping, productive cattle. 

I feel the X factor with this heifer is not only phenotype, but genetically I feel she is bred for an explosion when she is outcrossed.  Combine this with her 68# BW and a 605# WW (she was not creeped and ran on short western Ks buffalo grass), I think she is the easy keeping, productive type.  In this picture, she has been weaned about 60 days, and her condition is really nice.  If I was to have her around more than two more weeks I would have to slow her down on feed.

I appreciate the comments, keep them coming,

M Bar

She looks really nice.  I do believe that we are taking the "whisle fronts" to the extreme.  From my experience, those tight fronted, small jawed cattle don't equate to easy keeping, easy fleshing cows.  Heck, I have some.  They are always 1 body condition score behind the "dumpy" cows in the herd.  Always remember, heifers have a halter on their heads for one year and have another 9-11 years to be cows.

AAOK

I agree with all the positive comments.  You have a really nice, broody heifer which sure looks to be an easy keeper.  From the Show Heifer point of view, I think she will get hammered in the ring for being too thick in her shoulders and neck, if there is a calf close in total volume but cleaner fronted.

itk

We bought a $1,400 cow from you guys who had a All-American bull calf on her first try. Another $1,400 cow made it to our donor pen. Finally we sold a cow we bought from you guys 8 years ago this spring for $1800 after buying her for $1,200 and having her wean off some of our biggest and most marketable calves since she made it to our place. Using that logic I'll give you $1,300 for her off of the picture. Seriously she looks great and her pedigree and phenotype will lead her to be a outstanding cow no matter how she shows if she dose at all. Good luck at the sale.

Davis Shorthorns

itk said:
We bought a $1,400 cow from you guys who had a All-American bull calf on her first try. Another $1,400 cow made it to our donor pen. Finally we sold a cow we bought from you guys 8 years ago this spring for $1800 after buying her for $1,200 and having her wean off some of our biggest and most marketable calves since she made it to our place. Using that logic I'll give you $1,300 for her off of the picture. Seriously she looks great and her pedigree and phenotype will lead her to be a outstanding cow no matter how she shows if she dose at all. Good luck at the sale.

If you want her you better be at that sale to bid against me.  ;)  I really like her and I think that she would fit right in with what I want my program to do.

knabe

kane1598 said:
distribution of flexibiltity?  that sounds a little crazy and I think it is extremely hard to judge base width from that angle. I think the heifer is very broody and soft in her appearance, just would like her extended and cleaned up in her head and neck.  Good luck.

what i mean by distribution of flexibility is i like to see less pressure diving just behind the withers from the rear end.  this is one reason i don't like higher hipped cattle, not saying she is bad at that, but to me, her center of gravity is focused to drive below her withers.  it's just a comment.  probably if she was more rocket fronted, her long bones on her front end would be longer too, they probably go a little hand in hand.  i know it's difficult to judge base width from that angle, but i did.  i still think one should be able to see a little more width there.  also, when they are narrower from behind than up front, in a relative way, not absolute, and when they are down hill, their feet up front will tilt out.  perhaps if she was more rocket footed without being taller fronted, the situation might even be more visible.

i still think she's good.  better than mine.

Torch

I take it this is the Lot #1 heifer in the sale catalog. So I hope you don't mind me asking what her status is on PH and TH? Is she clean by pedigree?

Also, what's up with the flush rights on a full interest sale?

Another side note, I like the picture here much better than the one in the sale catalog.

It's also great that you are give back to the KSA!

aj

lovings herd is 100% defect free. They tested their whole herd for th and dumped all carriers as I understand it. That took guts in itself. I will try and take a shot at her but I doubt I have enough money. They have a big herd and this one has rose to the top.

PhilMcKracken

Once again, thanks guys I appreciate the input and comments.  I always find it interesting how some people see cattle and the reasons behind them.  Knabe yours maybe one of the most scientific, I don't believe that I have used center of gravity when breaking one down, but an interesting angle none the less. 

As far as TH/PH status, she should be clean by pedigree, but we have tested her and waiting on the results.  Those should be confirmed by sale day.  As far as the picture goes, we were right in the middle of fall harvest and she and momma had just gotten in.  Best we could do at the time, but interesting to me what she looks with hair  and without, not to mention about 75 days and some cool weather.

Thanks again,

PhilMcKracken

Also, if forgot to mention that itk is not on the payroll, but with testimonials like a few posts previous maybe he should be.  Thanks Charles

stumpy

Nice picture Scott. I will say that she looks even better in person. I hope that the Expo sale has a good croud. It is always nice to see great support on the donation lots.
-Jeff