Shorthorn heifer, your opinions please

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

http://issuu.com/qhuncovsky/docs/2008kbewebcatalog?mode=embed&documentId=081119161839-298437c33389406b8ed5bc0c54ee6332&layout=grey

Dale

Your heifer looks like she's bred--real world cattle with eye appeal and do-ability.  She has qualities badly needed in the beef industry; low birth weights combined with adequate growth and fleshing ability--just the right mix. 

An animal with lots of capacity and muscling will not necessarily have a freaky front.  When we insist on an extended front in our females, are we also selecting for bulls that lack masculinity?  You from west of the Mississippi, do females that are extremely clean or refined in the front handle your winters well?

PhilMcKracken

AJ- I don't think we are going to bring the bulls, I just didn't get the work done.  It has been a long fall and the bulls look good, but just not quite ready for a trip off the ranch. 

Dale-I can appreciate your observations on front ends in females, but we sometimes fail to remember the relevence of those traits on their brothers.  We can't tip these scales one way too far or you get feminine males or masculine females.  I still believe that moderation in breeding is key.

coyote

She looks like a dandy , keep up the great breeding program, we need more like her in the breed.
Good luck with your sale.

itk

Update; the heifer sold for $3,200 I don't have a clue who bought her but she looked even better on the net then her picture. Congratulations to the Lovings and whoever bought a great breeding piece.