Shorthorn - Native Breeding Stock

Help Support Steer Planet:

NHR

Garybob, I know you will like this.  (thumbsup)

http://www.rlshorthorns.com/index.html

Click on the Native Breeding Stock link.

Roy Lovaas has gathered some impressive "Native Shorthorn Semen". I am definately interested in this.

I would like to start a seperate project on my place to produce Native Shorthorn Genetics. This is a very good idea to preserve the genetics.

knabe

i'm not sure i've ever seen a proportionally deeper made bull than four point major

itk

I have always been impressed with Roy and his program. There is not a more upstanding person in the cattle business. I wish he was still on the BOD. I don't think he realized that there are numerous breeders who feel the same way about the association direction as he dose. I understand where he was coming from in not running again but at the same time I feel like he quit on us when we needed him the most. There was a good article about a NBS herd in the herd reference issue last summer.

NHR

I have 4 dream weaver daughters in my herd, they are good, moderate, and functional.

justintime

Hmmmm.... I have semen off 8 of these so called "Native " bulls in my tanks. I will have to check as I probably have a few others as well. Some of these bulls would be popular today... some others weren't real popular in their day... or any other day. I think if you are going to go this route in your breeding program, you had better study your lessons. I still have a fair pile of Four Point Major semen on hand. I sold 55 doses lat year and still have about 50 more.
Four Point Major walked our pastures as a 12 year old bull and he moved so well, that you had to trot once in awhile to keep up with him. He was a bull that came in from pasture looking better than when he went to pasture. He still weighed over 2600 lb as a 12 year old bull, and probably weighed in excess of 2700 when in his prime. His daughters were much better than his sons. His daughters were tremendous females. For some reason, he never produced any sons that matched him in quality. I have a couple of big framed tanks of cows that I am thinking of flushing to him. One of these cows weighs over 2200 lb in pasture condition and has not seen grain since she was a yearling heifer. I think two people could sleep on her back, she is so thick.
I had a Leader 21st heifer calf on Feb 2nd.... 80 lb... dark roan and a real sweetheart.  I am waiting for two full sibs to arrive any day. I am hoping for at least one bull calf.  I used my last leader 21st semen on a flush two weeks ago and got 10 grade 1 embryos... so i am hoping we can have some luck in getting several more pregnancies . 
I am familiar with all the bulls Roy has shown on his website so if anyone wants some info on any of them, please drop me a note.

garybob

Pictures, JIT, please. I've known that quite a few people have re-acquainted themselves with the ol' White Bull. I've never seen any modern-day calves by him. Oh, yeah, wait a minute, Joe Labans has a bull that's quite a head turner.

It'll be interesting to see where this ''project'' goes. Nile Valley Farm, up at See-dalia is on my "must-see" list. I also plan on visiting Rob Sneed's again this summer.

GB

garybob

Shortdawg, see if Kaehlers have collected any semen on Homedale Perfect Count. Wonder how those genetics work dnder a little heat and humidity? Fescue pasture Bermuda Hay, at my place, or Bermuda pasture and PeaNut Hay down at your place.

GB

justintime

GaryBob.... I got my boy baby this morning. A TPS Coronet Leader 21 X Shadybrook Presto 73G.... 88 lb, polled and red with only a few white hairs in his tail. I was expecting more roan but the cow is solid red. I will try to get some pictures posted on here in the next few days.

I am flushing this cow next to Pheasant Creek Leader 4th x, who was Grand Champion Bull at the Regina Bull Sale in 1968. He was homozygous polled and solid red. He was the last main herdsire for Remitall Cattle Co. when they dispersed their Shorthorns.This bull sold for $7200  in 1968, whcih would be a big price in today's dollars. He was sired by Kinnaber Leader 6th x.

garybob

Are the HORNED Beef Shorthorns in Australia, basically the last of the "Scottish" type of Shorthorn left intact in the World today? They have a different website and Association than the Polled Ones ''down under''.

GB

justintime

GB... the Horned Beef Shorthorns in Australia have introduced several other bloodlines of horned Shorthorns into their cattle. They have had quite an infusion of Irish bulls in the past few years. I have had requests from some of their breeders for me to locate some horned Shorthorn bulls  that they could get semen from. It did not matter if they were appendix or not. I have also had inquiries about embryos from horned sires and dams.
. The people who raise these cattle seem to think that the horned cattle thrive better in their enviroment. They may be right. I find that the best producers around my place are either horned, or have horned breeding fairly close up in it's pedigree. I have nothing to base this on but personal experience. It also seems that if you get a horned bull calf born, by fall he is one of the best you have... go figure??

garybob

The cattle on their association website looked so vastly different. More moderate and easy-keeping. Going by the pictures, they tend to raise a higher percentage of their body weight, as compared to the "higher growth" type Shorthorns. So, you're saying, they are basically Scottish cattle that have been 'tweaked' with a little outcross breeding in the last ten years or so?

GB

cwa

justintime said:
GaryBob.... I got my boy baby this morning. A TPS Coronet Leader 21 X Shadybrook Presto 73G.... 88 lb, polled and red with only a few white hairs in his tail. I was expecting more roan but the cow is solid red. I will try to get some pictures posted on here in the next few days.

Hi folks,

Check out this one year old son of "TPS Coronet Leader 21st"! 

Attachments

• SonofLeader21st.jpg
    SonofLeader21st.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 1,122

cwa

garybob said:
What is his weight and age? Got any other views?

GB

I'll have to check on his weight.  The bull was produced and is owned by Wally Klose at "Diamond K Shorthorns"  in Twin Bridges, Montana.  He sent me the photo just recently.  I live down in Tennessee. 

The bull is called, "Diamond K Jumbo Leader".  He is a son of "TPS Coronet Leader 21st", and is out of a daughter of "Newbiggon Jumbo". 

cwa

Here is the other picture that I have of "Jumbo Leader". 

I'm hoping to get some more copies from Wally. 

Attachments

• DiamondKJumboLeader2.jpg
    DiamondKJumboLeader2.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 708

garybob

High-five! Thanks for the photo. Don't have to look twice to see if He's a bull or a heifer calf. Club-calf sires' Denver-pics pale in comparison.

GB

shortdawg

He reminds me a lot of Jake's Proud Jazz. I think JPJ may be a little deeper bodied and deeper chested but, they are a lot alike.

Jill

We flushed our Black Dice donor to JPJ and put all 5 in, they appear to all be due in about 3 weeks, I'm SO excited!