Shorthorn+/ PB Angus Steer - Opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

gsmcattle

Last year we breed about 20 cows to calve in November and December to produce show steers for our county show. We breed mostly to I-80 (first calf heifers) and Walks Alone. I was pretty sure that I would be showing a Walks Alone steer. However when it was all said and done the best calf we had was out of our Shorthorn+ (He's about 25% Maine) clean up bull and a straight Angus. The show is in about three weeks and last week weighed 1207 at about 13 months old. His isn't a great picture but what are y'all's opinions? The only thing we don't like is the fact that he doesn't have much hair. It's a blow and go steer show so it shouldn't hurt him much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 233

gsmcattle

It's a county show in Florida. Steers have to be bred, born, and raised in Hillsborough County. Like I said this is super bad picture of him. He's decently thick but lacks tons of muscle expression.

travis214

If you want meaningful opinions you really need to get a good picture with his head up. A rear wouldn't hurt. Honestly though I think it's still gunna be pretty hard to tell you how "good" he is just because most people on here probably aren't familiar with the Florida club calf scene.  I'm betting that it's hell to grow hair in the heat and humidity and I'm guessing that if they must be locally raised, things aren't overly competitive. Not trying to talk down on it at all, just saying that it's a different world than most are used to.