Shorthorn Show Rules

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
1,492
Our regional shorthorn association does not allow appendix heifers to show in our junior regional field day or at state fair.  Personally, I like this rule.  I think it encourages the young breeders to think about what bloodlines to use and how to keep the breed distinctive and hold to a breed character standard.

Does any other shorthorn group in your areas do this?.  Breed steers at these shows can still be appendix.  Any thoughts or input to share?
 

shortyjock89

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
4,465
Location
IL
In our area (IL), the purebreds and appendix are separate for heifers and steers.  Personally I like having them separate, because it is supposed to be a Shorthorn show right? The appendix division is just as competitive, but the purebred show is where most of the prestige is...just my thought anyhow.

Oh and I have a question..what should the ASA re-name the Appendix program? I don't mind the name but lots of people think a catchier name would bring more people to the program.
 

red

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
7,850
Location
LaRue, Ohio
This is kind of like what Chambero & I were taking about in the Maines. You can show Shorthorn & Maines in lower % classes. Like Shortyjock said it makes it more competetive.

As far as a name change, I hope they do a better job than Mainetainer! I still think to maintain is to stay the same or not improve.

Red
 

cowz

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
1,492
shortyjock89 said:
In our area (IL), the purebreds and appendix are separate for heifers and steers.  Personally I like having them separate, because it is supposed to be a Shorthorn show right? The appendix division is just as competitive, but the purebred show is where most of the prestige is...just my thought anyhow.

Oh and I have a question..what should the ASA re-name the Appendix program? I don't mind the name but lots of people think a catchier name would bring more people to the program.

That is a great question shortyjock.  If Durham Reds are half Shorty and half red angus, could we call the appendix Durham Blacks, Durham Whites, etc.  Back in the day, breed associations didn't label percentage females with catchy names.  They were given "Foundation" papers, with the hope that the breeders would breed their way UP to a high percentage or fullblood status.   

You started a good one my friend...I will have to sleep on this one to come up with a smarty pants answer.

Another thought is that with new leadership at the ASA, they may even be open to suggestions on that one!!!!!
 

shortyjock89

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
4,465
Location
IL
The Durham idea is a good one, but Durham Reds are a totally new breed right; or is it just another division of the Shorhorn breed? I mean, there are people talking about forming Durham Red shows within the next few years.  If the appendix program was to change to the Durham program, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a totally Shorthorn and Red Angus heritage?..then you get into the percentage Durhams and it just goes crazy..  If there are going to be Durham Reds (as a breed), they need they're own breed association formed from the ASA and the Red Angus association.  IMO, they should just call it a % Shorthorn...it seems to work for the Simmies lol.  Mainetainer is a kind of goofy name to promote the advancement of the Maine breed.

It seems to be a tough thing to come to a conclusion around here on whether Durham Reds are a new breed or just a division of the Appendix Registry.  Because you can certainly register the Durham Reds as an Appendix, just like Fullblood Maines....the Shorthorn breed is just crazy when it comes to adding new genetics.
 

garybob

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Messages
1,634
Location
NW Arkansas
Too many people lost sight of functionality, and, therefore, this has created the need for the  composite. Also, I think the  angus thing is here to stay for a while. It is helping the Continentals stay in graces with the commerciAl industry, by PROVING their breed is compatible with Angus genetics, and, in some traits, improves performance of Angus-based cow herds' offspring. Will do the saME for Shorthorns, if we let it.;D
 

shortyjock89

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
4,465
Location
IL
Oh I definately believe that Shorthorns can be mated with Angus and have some good results.  The only thing that I am concerned about is that Shorthorns will go the way of alot of other breeds- black.  I have no problem with black cattle, but Shorthorns are unique, if for nothing else, for their color.  It might sound like a petty thing, but color is a big deal to some Shorthorn breeders.  Maybe Shorthorn breeders should work to increase performance with better purebred bulls, but it will become increasingly more difficult not to be pulled toward the commercial way of thinking if nothing is done.
 

red

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
7,850
Location
LaRue, Ohio
shortyjock89 said:
Oh I definately believe that Shorthorns can be mated with Angus and have some good results.  The only thing that I am concerned about is that Shorthorns will go the way of alot of other breeds- black.  I have no problem with black cattle, but Shorthorns are unique, if for nothing else, for their color.  It might sound like a petty thing, but color is a big deal to some Shorthorn breeders.  Maybe Shorthorn breeders should work to increase performance with better purebred bulls, but it will become increasingly more difficult not to be pulled toward the commercial way of thinking if nothing is done.

I agree w/ you Shortyjock! I love the colors from the Shorthorns.I love the roans, the blues & the red & white patterns.  I hate when you see a black appendix Shorthorn that is black being shown. Sorry Miss O!
I think GaryBob gets concerned when he see his beloved horn's getting away from their great maternal traits by being breed for show quality. I think he's worried they're going to start EPD's for hair. O0
Personally, I think if you can come up w/ a good name that is catchy for the appendix program it will work. Trouble is are they trying to come up for one that is for just the Durham Reds or all crosses?

Red

 

OH Breeder

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Messages
5,954
Location
Ada, Ohio
red said:
shortyjock89 said:
Oh I definately believe that Shorthorns can be mated with Angus and have some good results.  The only thing that I am concerned about is that Shorthorns will go the way of alot of other breeds- black.  I have no problem with black cattle, but Shorthorns are unique, if for nothing else, for their color.  It might sound like a petty thing, but color is a big deal to some Shorthorn breeders.  Maybe Shorthorn breeders should work to increase performance with better purebred bulls, but it will become increasingly more difficult not to be pulled toward the commercial way of thinking if nothing is done.

I agree w/ you Shortyjock! I love the colors from the Shorthorns.I love the roans, the blues & the red & white patterns.  I hate when you see a black appendix Shorthorn that is black being shown. Sorry Miss O!
I think GaryBob gets concerned when he see his beloved horn's getting away from their great maternal traits by being breed for show quality. I think he's worried they're going to start EPD's for hair. O0
Personally, I think if you can come up w/ a good name that is catchy for the appendix program it will work. Trouble is are they trying to come up for one that is for just the Durham Reds or all crosses?

Red
I think now don't quote me on this, but the Durham program has a meaning to it. There is somethought the british breeds share lineage. The Red angus and the Shorthorn may have shared genetics orginally. Hence taking the two breeds today to form the program.
 

shortyjock89

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
4,465
Location
IL
OH Breeder- good call!  Most British breeds do share alot of common ancestry if you go back far enough, and I think the Durham program can be really useful in getting Shorthorn-influenced cattle back into the commercial game.  The only thing that concerns me about it is that it will take alot of hard work by alot of dedicated individuals to promote this program and get it out in the mainstream cattle world.  I was at the IL state Red Angus sale the first weekend in March, and I talked to some different breeders there, and only one knew anything at all about the Durham Red program.  Now, if you go to a Shorthorn sale, the sale representative will talk for 10 minutes just about the impact that Red Angus genetics can have on the Shorthorn breed.  If the Red Angus association could promote the program a little more, I think it would just really take off (Red Angus is the 4th largest breed in the nation, after all). 

WOW, this seems to be a really good topic and alot of folks seem to have good ideas about it!! (clapping)
 

red

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
7,850
Location
LaRue, Ohio
It is a good topic Shorty! I know Oh B has suggested many a  times a Red Angus for an easy BW bull. I find it interesting that the Red angus people aren't taking more atvantage of the program.
Show Hef- what do your friends think of it?

Red
 

ELBEE

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
635
Location
Blue Rapids, Kansas
Durham Reds are Durham Reds! Any variation of 75% Red Angus 75% Shorthorn, new breed handeled by the ASA for added revenue, and a link into the commercial market. Great concept, great idea, thanks to Nick Hammet!

Appendix? Whats wrong with that name? At least everyone regognizes it for what it is.

Class 1 Shorthorns.
Class 2 Durham Reds.
Class 3 Appendix Shorthorns.

End of story!
 

knabe

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
13,640
Location
Hollister, CA
my great grandfather used to raise milking shorthorns. their website refers to them as durhams.  pictures of his cattle don't resemble their now totally dairy look.  I had a great uncle who had some till the 60's and one time us city folk came to the farm and we had some fresh milk.  my mom was kind of a prude and he knew it and he said, "you know, i never liked milking, but i sure like to play with t**s."  i haven't seen my mom get that red (out of anger) that often.  we were baptists, and shocked when we saw one of the congregation smoking a cigarette once.  he had a beard too which nobody liked either.  pretty sheltered for a while.

my "joke" names  which people have probably already thought of

shorthorns and milking shorthorns
shortofhorn
stubbies
 

cowz

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
1,492
I guess that I am enough of a purist that I get a little put off when appendix steers are entered in shows and they hardly show any shorthorn breed character.

Out here in the wicked west, we use "red neck" sorting methods to determine which heifers can show at our events.  No "green" papers (appendix).  Only "red papers" can enter.  This is one place where a "green card" wont do you any good.  (Lord, I apologize!) ;D
 
Top