Shorthorn sire - 100 Solutions

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

SRU said:
shortdawg said:
Doc, I've kind of sat on the sidelines with this thread but, I really like the bull. They sold semen shares on him for I think $3500/share. This might explain why there are not many calves out there yet. I would think they would be in a small group of people's hands. You know as well as I do how those Solution geneitcs have done lately. I fully expect those calves to be awesome. As far as my opinion on the rest of the thread, I breed what I like or think will work and see what happens. ;D

P.S. - Holler at me or e-mail when you get a chance.

I think they sold 10 shares.  He is my co-favorite of all the SULL bulls to date.  Tied with Pure Solution.

I wonder how the Asset calves are turning out.  Grey Goose must have been pretty good for Asset's marketing based upon that doubling of his Semen Price.  Anyone know what the K-Kim's original Mona Lisa cow looked like?  Picture?  If I understood correctly they used another son of Mona Lisa by Pretender pretty hard last spring, Keifer.  I bet she was impressive in her prime!
I've got to agree with you on the 2 bulls. I don't know how many Asset calves are out there, they had a real hard time getting semen on him in the beginning or even cows settled. I'll look & see if I've got a picture of the original M.L. cow.

aj

I shot my mouth off and got in trouble again. I tend to have that effect on people. I guess my point was is the following. Is someone who comes into a breed with 200,000 dollars...stays 7 years...raises 2 national champions...and then disperses at 125,000 dollars a great breeder? He may well be I don't know. If you look at a operation like the the rocker brothers in the shorthorn breed. I can't speak for dale but I have the impression that he bred cattle the way he wanted to. He stacked growth epd's on cattle to improve weaning weight's on calves so the rancher might have an extra 30 # weaning weight. This amounts to an additional 30$ bucks a calf to people in Nebraska using his bulls. He wasn't trying to breed a great one. He wasn't trying to raise a 100,000$ national champion. He wasn't transplanting cows generating a million dollars. He was using selection as a tool and using a multiple trait selection for productive cattle. Well one day people started to notice his cattles epd's and their quality. The word was spread in the network and people couldn't get to his place fast enough. People were spending big money for his cattle. He was rewarded financially. I guess I would call dale a great breeder. I would also consider cates to be great breeders. They developed a super program on their farm. I just think it's cool when hubs shorthorns, or pado or other programs stated with a small herd of affordable cattle and turned them into great herds. They love their breed and their beef industry and they would be breeding cattle if they were breaking even, because a breeding program is a breeding program and it designed to reach a certain level and not necessecarily trying to generate a 10,000 dollar individual. I appologize to those that I have offended. :-*

justintime

aj, if you had written this post prior to your last one, I would have written a much different post than I did. I agree with most everything you said in this last post.You are right about what makes a great breeder. There are lots of cattle multipliers, but there are far less cattle breeders. I consider a cattle breeder a person who has a distinct goal in where he would like his/her breeding prodgram to go... and follows a breeding program to achieve this goal.  I can think of many operations that  I think of as breeders. In the Shorthorn breed, I think of  people like Art and Luke Bakenhus, the late Dr. Eugene Byers, Dale Rocker, as breeders.There are many, many others, some of which are major league players and some who are smaller breeders.  I also would call Don Cagwin a breeder, as he has oftentimes used bloodlines that others would have overlooked. At the same time, he is not afraid to use the popular bloodlines when he finds an animal he thinks will work in his program. I have probably travelled a few thousand miles with Don Cagwin, and have attended many of his sales, and he is one of the smartest cattlemen I have run into.
As far as people coming into a breed and leaving in a few years, we all have to remember a few things. Each and every person who starts in a certain breed has his/her own set of goals.Some only want to chase a few ribbons and a little glory. Some could care less about ever selling a high dollar animal, but are extremely happy when they sell all their bulls to commercial men. There is a place for each and every person, and we need them all.  Some leave sooner than they planned because of life situations that change, some stay longer than originally planned. As a breeder I think we should be thankful for everyone who choses to raise the same breed as you do.

shortdawg

Great post. I have a lot of respect for breeders ( big or small ) that can set goals for themselves and be driven to accomplish those goals. I can't say I've ever met a Shorthorn breeder that I just didn't like. I must stand in defense of Verl with something I witnessed him do. At Cagwin's sale a few years back they were selling steers at the end of the sale and Verl bought one of the better ones.  Then he told some young kids to pick a number and he gave that steer to the kid that was the closest. A man that does that for anyone, especially a kid that may not have had the money to buy it, has my respect. (clapping)

stick

Doc,
Getting back to your original post, I don't know for sure but there could be some by him in the Generations of Excellence Sale.  I see that Tim Louden has some calves by him registered, but they were all males.

Latest posts