Shorthorn

Help Support Steer Planet:

KDSC

What are some Calving ease shorthorn bulls?? besides JPJ??  preferably club calves (sorry Gary Bob)

KDSC

Thanks a lot GB, after I went out feed the aniamls, I decided that I wouldnt mind breeding her to a more of a breeding bull(if that makes sense, they all are breeding bulls, but a bull that will throw more of a breeding heifer :'( :))) )  once again thanks a lot for you time and effort

shortdawg

I've seen several good breeding type females out of AR SU LU Golden Spike. I saw one today I bred for a friend of mine that will be a nice heifer. She's  good enough to be shown and make a little noise. There was one in Greenhorn's sale that was flat good. I've had some out of him that went on to be nice as well. AR SU LU Tonic could also be a possibilty as well. Semen on both bulls can be purchased from Cates Farms.

KDSC

Do you know of any where else where I can get semen on Ar Su Lu Tonic or AR SU LU Golden Spike??? I  dont really need 5 straws at $50 to breed one heifer

shortdawg

I think you are in OK if I remember correctly. I will be heading out around March if that's not too late. If that's too late, I think Bill Rasor at WHR has an interest in both bulls. Also V8 has an interest in the Tonic bull.

frostback

garybob said:
I hear the White Bull, Okie Dokie is shoe-in for calving ease.

For someone that is so against anyone keeping carriers you should do your homework. You just promoted the use of a PHA carrier.

Doc

What the heck, I might as well get blasted for awhile. I personally am using CF Primo(syndicated), Pa Do Boxer, & CF Trump 3 on my heifers. On the right heifer , here it goes, I wouldn't hesitate to use Kool. Easy calver & some awesome calves. Yea, he's a double carrier , but if Lady Luck is looking your way & you got a clean one , it could be a good one.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I know a kid near houston who bought a V8 heifer out of KOOL man she was a sweet little package when is first saw her in navasota,tx. That was probly a good year ago at least. Only thing is she has been growing with some deformed legs on the front they just kind of bend out. Its real hard to explain to a kid that fitting her front legs will be the only way to hide the defect. Good kid i would not  have paid 6,000 for it? I need a little structual correctness in you know what i mean.

And Okie Dokie, more like Opie Dopie
I would not wish that on my worst enemy, maybe im not as cruel as others.

coyote

We have been using Muridale Buster on heifers with good luck.
I see a grandson got a  Reserve Champion ribbon at the NAILE for Farrer.

KDSC

where is he at???? OK so Old world shortie first things first.... (welcome) now what would you suggest??

kslivstkbroker

the best shorthorn heifers Ive seen are warhorse,eskimojoes they arent cheap but darn good!  okie dookie works on large cows have 2 calves out of him both sound really good thats my choices

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

kslivstkbroker said:
the best shorthorn heifers Ive seen are warhorse,eskimojoes they arent cheap but darn good!  okie dookie works on large cows have 2 calves out of him both sound really good thats my choices

Now warhorse and eskimo joes heifer may look good for about the first 7 month, but when it comes down to it your not going to see heifers out of those bull winning at a true breeders show. Not say they dont produce good calves, just not the type of animal that is going to give you the type of consistancy that a Trump, CF Solution, HD Bloodstone, or NPS Durango 744 can bring to your herd now i get kind of crazy some times and i go off on a tangent but i would have to say that OKIE DOKIE does show to be producing some very nice progeny. But when is come to heifers im gonna have to go with that SS KABOOM bull just becasue he has some claves on  the ground and ive seen straws going up from $20 to $40 so is starting to make a name for himself.

My new fav would have to be WKF OLD SKOOL  EPD Data = BW 2.8  WW 12  YW 20  Milk -1

PHILDON CUNIA DIVIDND (*xAR20454)
                                        Sire: CF TRUMP X (*x3909231)
                                                                                    CF CARMELE NG NG 158X (*x3881362)
WKF OLD SKOOL
                                                                                    AF WARRIOR 195 (*x3885372)
                                        Dam : SS AUGUSTA PRIDE 3127 (*x3920500)
                                                                                    SS AUGUSTA PRIDE 063 (x3871708)

Doc

Thanks, OWS for reccomendation on our bull Durango, I own him with Martindell & Steinke. We've never had problems with calving out of him. I also like your choice of Old Skool as far as pedigree goes , just don't know anything about calving on him.
Shortyisqueen, thank you for reminding us of our manners . You're correct. :)))

Bulldogg

Last night I had a Kool calf out of a Sin City x Angus heifer (blue roan) that weighed 70 lbs. The calf ended up red with a white belly. I have also successfully used Kaboom, RB Eagle 226, and Fear Factor on heifers.

red

I think DL had a Gizmo calf out of a Maine in Decemeber. Check w/ elbee on semen.

Red

shorthorns r us

Bulldogg said:
Last night I had a Kool calf out of a Sin City x Angus heifer (blue roan) that weighed 70 lbs. The calf ended up red with a white belly. I have also successfully used Kaboom, RB Eagle 226, and Fear Factor on heifers.

fear factor on heifers would scare me based upon my experience.  what sort of actual weights have you had him?