Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

rarebirdz

What r the current breed averages for epds jd has posted the #s r there but would like more info

aandtcattle

Has anyone else used RS ST 832?  He is the Sutherland Titleist 269 son out of a Deertrail Sagebrush daughter.  TJ Land and Cattle in Kansas have the bull now.  I have calves on 2 year olds this year and they came small and didnt look like much at all early but have steadily gotten better.  We preconditioned the group with the 832 calves on Saturday and they are AMAZING!  You would never beleive they were so light at birth as deep and soggy as they are now.  Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same results.

JoeBnTN

justintime said:
We used HC Bar Code 16X ET X on our heifers this year. He is a son of Pheasant Creek Leader 4th and B Good Red Sue 1P and he was 75 lbs at birth. Leader 4th was born in 1968, and IMO, he is the best of the Leader line, including his grandsire, Leader 21st. IMO, if Leader 4th was alive today he would be a very popular bull.
In 2010, we used Hillside Leader x, as well as HC FL Touchdown 123T ET x naturally on our heifers and also used HC Mist's Return 13R by AI. We only assisted two heifers , both with malpresentations. Hillside Leader was purchased after seeing him promoted on Steerplanet by JoeNTennessee. ( More of the self promotion that some on here seem to get cranky about occasionally.)  He certainly caught my attention and I have to say that the set of calves we have by this bull are a superb group. We are now marketing him in Canada, USA and Auistralia. I was looking for a low BW bull that still possessed excellent growth... and I am pretty sure I found one! In regards to Mist's Return, he is a full Irish bull by Highfield Irish Mist, and he was used for 4 years on our heifers, and he is still the easiest calving bull we have ever used.
It was my intention to sych all the heifers and breed them to Touchdown and Hillside Leader, but about the time we were supposed to CIDR them, we got 10 inches of rain and over the next two weeks, had almost 20 inches. The only way we could even get to the heifer pasture was  by boat, so Bar Code was turned out and he swam to the heifers.
As this thread will attest to, there are many great choices in the Shorthorn breed to use on heifers. Those who say you have to use an Angus bull on your heifers so that they will calve easily either has never looked very hard, or they have heifers with very tiny reproductive tracts.

I have included  pics of Bar Code, Hillside Leader, Mists's Return ( end of breeding season as a 2 year old), and a Hillside Leader heifer calf. She is pictured 3 days after weaning last week, and her dam was only 21 months old when she was born. Her mom did a pretty amazing job and did it all herself as we did not creep feed anything. This heifer sells in the Allstar Classic Sale, Lacombe, AB on Oct 22nd.

Great looking heifer Grant.  She looks a lot like the heifers we've gotten out of Leader - very similar skeletal pattern and shape. 

trevorgreycattleco

aandtcattle said:
Has anyone else used RS ST 832?  He is the Sutherland Titleist 269 son out of a Deertrail Sagebrush daughter.  TJ Land and Cattle in Kansas have the bull now.  I have calves on 2 year olds this year and they came small and didnt look like much at all early but have steadily gotten better.  We preconditioned the group with the 832 calves on Saturday and they are AMAZING!  You would never beleive they were so light at birth as deep and soggy as they are now.  Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same results.

329's maternal grandsire. Sounds like I need to breed some 329 heifers to 832.  Thanks for the info bro. If they grow in northwest Nebraska, they sure as hell will grow in Ohio ! <beer> GO BUCKS!!!!!!

aandtcattle

I need to get some pics of the 832 calves because I know  <nopics> but you could give Ohio State all the pictures in the world and they would still suck! <beer>

trevorgreycattleco

6 weeks until the game my friend. One of us will be in dire need of a drink afterwards. Remember what I told you. Braxton Miller!

And yes, you need some pics off the top of that horse tomorrow. Come on chief!!!!

aandtcattle

trevorgreycattleco said:
6 weeks until the game my friend. One of us will be in dire need of a drink afterwards. Remember what I told you. Braxton Miller!

And yes, you need some pics off the top of that horse tomorrow. Come on chief!!!!
(lol) (clapping) (clapping) <beer> (lol)

sue

New pic of 329 - 

BW 69  FR 4.0 IMF 3.93  REA/cwt 1.15
Exteremely linebred - he is at Brock's in Ohio. Photographer is awesome and easy to work with Quinton Keeran.

Attachments

• new329_shrunk.jpg
    new329_shrunk.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 180

r.n.reed

Aaron,a lot of Haumont breeding laced throughout 832's pedigree.Trevorgrey, too bad those black cows from Ok are bred,sounds like they would make an awesome cross with 329.The only thing I can say about Illinois football at this time is that its a long hike to the top of Memorial stadium.

J

JTM

sue said:
New pic of 329 - 

Exteremely linebred - he is at Brock's in Ohio. Photographer is awesome and easy to work with Quinton Keeran.
Brock! Get some fly spray on that dude!  (lol)

aj

Don't know much about 832. Todd and Janell have had him for a while. Aaron did you wean calves then?

trevorgreycattleco

It was so hot that day. He does have spray on him. You should have seen him before the spray. He was the only critter around at picture time and right behind him is a spring that never stops flowing so it likes to breed bugs. At least the horseflies were off him. They were about the size of cocktail shrimp.

rn Reed, I dont know if the cows will ever get bred shorthorn but I get calves out of the deal so someday soon there will be a shorthorn bull on a keeney/ shoshone/ OCC angus to make some F1's. Thats the idea anyway.  I want to build the two purebred, linebred herds (shorthorn/ angus), create a F1 herd and use Charlois on them for the grass fed deal. Although Mike Keeney may say some things that annoy the hell out of me, I have to say his char and angus deal is pretty cool and I have just taken his ideas and added shorthorn to my ingredients. His and LL ideas about purebred breeders each developing their own linebred genetics is  very good one IMO. This Keeney bull here was sold with papers but my buddy has yet to get them. That sucks. The papers would just say comm angus instead of shoshone on shoshone on shoshone.

J

JTM

trevorgreycattleco said:
It was so hot that day. He does have spray on him. You should have seen him before the spray. He was the only critter around at picture time and right behind him is a spring that never stops flowing so it likes to breed bugs. At least the horseflies were off him. They were about the size of cocktail shrimp.

rn Reed, I dont know if the cows will ever get bred shorthorn but I get calves out of the deal so someday soon there will be a shorthorn bull on a keeney/ shoshone/ OCC angus to make some F1's. Thats the idea anyway.  I want to build the two purebred, linebred herds (shorthorn/ angus), create a F1 herd and use Charlois on them for the grass fed deal. Although Mike Keeney may say some things that annoy the hell out of me, I have to say his char and angus deal is pretty cool and I have just taken his ideas and added shorthorn to my ingredients. His and LL ideas about purebred breeders each developing their own linebred genetics is  very good one IMO. This Keeney bull here was sold with papers but my buddy has yet to get them. That sucks. The papers would just say comm angus instead of shoshone on shoshone on shoshone.
Very interesting TG, I have been thinking the same way for my commercial program. I know I'm not starting with registered purebred Angus but I believe about a third of them are purebred and the rest are probably at least half black Angus. I want to breed them back to Shorthorn and potentially to a Charolais bull down the road.  <rock>

r.n.reed

Trevorgrey, some people are very artful in the use of shock and awe to garner a potential customers attention.Just watch and see if they are steadfast in practising what they preach.

trevorgreycattleco

Shady Lane said:
What is 329's Scrotal Measurements?

Sorry I just noticed this question. sue would remeber better then me but I think when he was collected it was around 35 or 36 cm. He made 419 straws on his first jump and another 220 3 days later. They are not huge but they are ample in my opinion.

jaimiediamond

sue said:
New pic of 329 - 

sue said:
r.n.reed said:
IMF numbers are more meaningful to me if I know how the animal was raised and have the BF# as well.

Ditto .

I am a huge fan of 329 but as it was brought to my attention that IMF has more meaning with how the bull was raised and what his back fat was at the time of the scan I am curious to know 329's other stats and what he was fed before his scans.

Shady Lane

trevorgreycattleco said:
Shady Lane said:
What is 329's Scrotal Measurements?

Sorry I just noticed this question. sue would remeber better then me but I think when he was collected it was around 35 or 36 cm. He made 419 straws on his first jump and another 220 3 days later. They are not huge but they are ample in my opinion.

Oh ok, and at what age was he collected?