Help Support Steer Planet:

sue

RS 034 is dead..... foun d in the creek bed two days ago :(  ..... :eek: :( 

Attachments

• 034shrunk.jpg
    034shrunk.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 140

Shorthorns4us

Welcome A and T Cattle!  Glad to see you are on here! 

Still need to get out to your ranch and get the tour. 

sue

trevorgreycattleco said:
sue said:
RS 034 is dead..... foun d in the creek bed two days ago :(  ..... :eek: :( 

That sucks. Injury? Any idea how he died? Glad I got some semen on that guy.

He could have choked on a hedge apple?? I didnt ask for alot of details-

sue

Okotoks said:
Is there a photo of the Doc Clark bull?
<nopics>
This may not be the official picture but you can see on www.meriwetherphoto.com  pic # 006A-061-I0Na110

Cindy and Edje took pics too.

He weighed 1735 ( about 65 lbs from being full)  BD 3/28/09 . Not the class winner but I know of a few herds that have used him, including a pretty large angus deal.

aj

Interesting deal happening in Thomas county.Bowers the vet is finding that 20% of cows he is preg checking are open. Dads buddie had 18 opens out of 98 cows. Are cows older?Posinous weeds? Heat? We really didn't get the combined heat and humidity that say Larned Ks got. They can't figure it out yet.Breeding disease? New defect genetically. I wonder if its just not the angus type genetics of hard running plus 100 yearling epd cattle that didn't hold up to enviroment.I hav'nt got my red cows checked yet. Will eastern Kansas cows have problems sticking because of heat. Any other states or counties having problems with opens?

Okotoks

Now this is a touchy subject for me. Two weeks ago we preg checked our cows and about 20% were open! We shipped 7 to market and took 2 of the older ones that had been good producers to the embryo transplant facility. Those two were pregnant and quite aways along! So the question is how many of the 7 shipped were also pregnant. I'm wondering if those new  ultrasound machines are dangerous in the wrong hands! ??? :mad:

sue

aj said:
Interesting deal happening in Thomas county.Bowers the vet is finding that 20% of cows he is preg checking are open. Dads buddie had 18 opens out of 98 cows. Are cows older?Posinous weeds? Heat? We really didn't get the combined heat and humidity that say Larned Ks got. They can't figure it out yet.Breeding disease? New defect genetically. I wonder if its just not the angus type genetics of hard running plus 100 yearling epd cattle that didn't hold up to enviroment.I hav'nt got my red cows checked yet. Will eastern Kansas cows have problems sticking because of heat. Any other states or counties having problems with opens?
I think the prairie dogs are trying to take over in southwest KS - they have formulated a toxin to abort cows .  Red cows are smarter then the prairie dogs maybe ??

RedBulls

Okotoks said:
Now this is a touchy subject for me. Two weeks ago we preg checked our cows and about 20% were open! We shipped 7 to market and took 2 of the older ones that had been good producers to the embryo transplant facility. Those two were pregnant and quite aways along! So the question is how many of the 7 shipped were also pregnant. I'm wondering if those new  ultrasound machines are dangerous in the wrong hands! ??? :mad:
Dan,
I have used BioPRYN blood testing for the past 3 years now, with excellent results. They claim better than 99% accuracy. I just pull a couple ml of blood from the tail vein when I gather for weaning and mail it in. I started doing this when the Vet called one of my best older cows "open". I was advised by a friend to get a second opinion, and I'm sure glad I did. It just goes to show that even good Vets can be wrong once in awhile. The other cow he called open that year really was. At less than $3.00/head, it's pretty reasonable.

aj

They said programs were on mineral. Decent nutrition.They were range cows,cornstalk cows kinda deal. I doc was manually preg checking. Just seems like something going on.

Okotoks

RedBulls said:
Okotoks said:
Dan,
I have used BioPRYN blood testing for the past 3 years now, with excellent results. They claim better than 99% accuracy. I just pull a couple ml of blood from the tail vein when I gather for weaning and mail it in. I started doing this when the Vet called one of my best older cows "open". I was advised by a friend to get a second opinion, and I'm sure glad I did. It just goes to show that even good Vets can be wrong once in awhile. The other cow he called open that year really was. At less than $3.00/head, it's pretty reasonable.
I had never heard of this. I just checked out their website, looks like a good idea and I think it would be a good plan for next year!
Thanks

M Bar

You can also buy a chin ball marker and turn a bull out equipped with such for cows on stalks/winter grass.  Collect the painted up cows and send them to town.  Beats palping cows and the bull likes it too.

DRB

Okotoks said:
RedBulls said:
Okotoks said:
Dan,
I had never heard of this. I just checked out their website, looks like a good idea and I think it would be a good plan for next year!
Thanks

I looked at the lab doing it in Lethbridge, Alberta ( http://www.biochecklabs.com/?s=&p=168&o=8  ) .  Sounds like it is a descent option - I'm waiting for the vet bill from last weeks palpations - pretty sure this would be cheaper.  But then I do like the estimated length bred that the vet can give you.  Although I've had bred cows mistakenly judged as open too, which is frustrating!

aandtcattle

Troy, good idea, i am sure the bulls love this method of preg checking!  The problem I have with it is the fact that every year we always have a few cows that bull like crazy on a regular basis that are indeed bred.  We have one cow in particular that bulls year round wether she is bred or not.  Chalk it up to nymphomania or whatever but I would definitely recommend palping the cows that the bull says are open in the fall.  This still beats palping the whole herd.  You just cant be too cautious.