Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

sigsigns

jaimiediamond said:
Okotoks said:
sigsigns said:
We have a Creole son here at the farm that we used on heifers two years ago as a 2 year old and these are the results. Bred all the replacement heifers and then show heifers that didn't settle AI first try to him. Raised our hi selling heifer at $13,500 out of a first calf heifer and his first calf crop. She is the white one and her momma was a Sonny-n-Clear. Annie won her class in Louisville in the open show and is a late April. The other heifer came out of a Bloodstone heifer that Ben and Sharon Wilson bought from us. They were very pleased one morning to find her up and nursing after a no problem birth. This heifer is a May.  Both heifers were in the 70-80# range. We have collected semen and have started marketing it privately and a few of the semen suppliers have picked him up. The pic of the bull is in his working clothes in Sept last fall.
Looks like he is doing a good job, those are nice heifers. What is his name?

I am taking a guess at him being MAV BELLRINGER 804U *xAR47018.  I need all the bulls listed actual names so I can update the heifer bull list!!!!

Yes that is him. Sorry I didn't include that and haven't been on here for a while. Thanks for putting his #'s up.
Todd and Kris

CE    BW   WW   YW   M   MW  MCE
-0.7  -0.6   8      19    4     8     -3.6

thunderdownunder

thunderdownunder said:
aj said:
What are the accuracies on these epds or whatever. Carcass cattle have never been extreme milkers in the history of the world. If these figures are accurate the one bull could be the best in the world since these traits are usually antagonistic to one another. Where is semen available?

Follow the link and you will see the full complement of data and accuracies. You will see for the most part he has very high accuracies.
http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=313021&2=2420&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5C255B5A242222252D&9=505C5C50
Okotoks is selling semen in this bull.

Jackaroo's figures have been updated in the recent Breedplan run (see below). He is a breed trait leader for carcase weight, eye muscle area and retail beef yield. He is number one in the breed for EMA. He also has below average birthweight, positive calving ease and high growth.

Attachments

• Z109-Jan2011.JPG
    Z109-Jan2011.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 156

Okotoks

thunderdownunder said:
thunderdownunder said:
aj said:
What are the accuracies on these epds or whatever. Carcass cattle have never been extreme milkers in the history of the world. If these figures are accurate the one bull could be the best in the world since these traits are usually antagonistic to one another. Where is semen available?

Follow the link and you will see the full complement of data and accuracies. You will see for the most part he has very high accuracies.
http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=313021&2=2420&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5C255B5A242222252D&9=505C5C50
Okotoks is selling semen in this bull.

Jackaroo's figures have been updated in the recent Breedplan run (see below). He is a breed trait leader for carcase weight, eye muscle area and retail beef yield. He is number one in the breed for EMA. He also has below average birthweight, positive calving ease and high growth.
I think Belmore Jackaroo Z109 is a good example of how you can get bulls that are multiple trait leaders or above average for several traits. Here is a bull that is below breed average for birth weight , above breed average for milk and still has trait leading carcass numbers. His numbers have very high accuracy as he was used in the Durham project besides in several stud herds.
We are pretty pleased with Northern Legend 3N's first numbers from the Durham Project and Belmore. He is below average for birth weight and above average for weaning as well he is showing a shorter than average gestation. His progeny in Canada have had some success in the show ring as they also have eye appeal. I think contrary to what some people would lead you to believe there are lots of good choices out there for Shorthorn sires this breeding season.

Okotoks

Anyone getting calves from any of these bulls or have new bull that you are just getting calves from?

justintime

thunderdownunder said:
Okotoks said:
I think contrary to what some people would lead you to believe there are lots of good choices out there for Shorthorn sires this breeding season.

(clapping) I agree

I agree as well. No matter what your end goal is, the sire options are almost endless

CAB

You guys are gaining on the word association thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread

Okotoks

Are there many CC Prince descendants being used. I see him HC FL Touchdowns's pedigree as the grandsire of Bar P Louisa 10C. It's interesting that she was out of a Clark cow and that both Prince and his sire were out of Clark cows.

Will

i used a bull called JB Trey and have several of his daughters and he goes back to CC Prince.  He was ahead of his time.  Maybe the biggest bodied bull I ever used.

garybob

Will said:
i used a bull called JB Trey and have several of his daughters and he goes back to CC Prince.  He was ahead of his time.  Maybe the biggest bodied bull I ever used.
got any pics of him?

GB

justintime

Okotoks said:
Are there many CC Prince descendants being used. I see him HC FL Touchdowns's pedigree as the grandsire of Bar P Louisa 10C. It's interesting that she was out of a Clark cow and that both Prince and his sire were out of Clark cows.

IMO, CC Prince was way ahead of his time. I remember seeing him at the 1988 National Western and I felt he should have been the Champion bull... or Reserve Grand at the least. He was just not quite tall enough for the time, but he had great thickness and muscling. I still have a few straws of him in my tanks as well as some from his sire, CC Cujo. We tried to buy Cujo in Louisville in 1984, where he was the Bull Calf Champion.

BTW, Touchdown semen is now available in the US and we should have semen in Canada in March. We haven't decided yet whether we will sex some semen but there has been some interest for some . Guess it will depend on how much interest there is in it. We have had a couple more Touchdown calves and will have several more in the next month. The two this year have been 80b and 85 lbs ( again out of a Salute daughter) and I really love their thickness and they are very vigorous at birth. He will be available through Genex in the US and Canada.

coyote

Was there something that didn't jive with CC Cujo pedigree or was it another bull ? Sorry my memory isn't as good as JIT.

Okotoks

coyote said:
Was there something that didn't jive with CC Cujo pedigree or was it another bull ? Sorry my memory isn't as good as JIT.
I think he was originally registered as a son of Deerpark Leader 13th but later corrected to being by Millbrook Ransom G9.

justintime

Okotoks said:
coyote said:
I think he was originally registered as a son of Deerpark Leader 13th but later corrected to being by Millbrook Ransom G9.

I first saw Cujo at the World Shorthorn Show in Louisville in 1984. I was so impressed with him that I tried to buy him prior to the show. He was Bull Calf Champion at this show. I was still trying to complete a deal on him after I got back home, and I heard that there was an issue with his pedigree as he did not blood type as being a son of Deerpark Leader 13th ( Dividend) . He later tested as having a similar bloodtype as Millbrook Ransom G9 so he was registered as a son of his.After this happened, I decided to buy another bull.

Cujo is another in a long list of animals from the past that have been correctly or incorrectly allowed into the closed herd books of the Shorthorn breed... and virtually every breed for that matter. Before I go any further, I will state again, that is has happened in virtually every breed.

If you have researched pedigrees v ery much you probably know that there are animals in the background of almost every so called closed herd book animal that are ... well, of questionable purity. For this reason, I have decided many years ago, to judge cattle on theirown quality and worth rather than the paper their anscestory is written on.

thunderdownunder

CC Cujo was imported to Australia by Andy Withers and a few other breeders. Despite his somewhat questionable heritage, he was a great success down under. Amongst some of his best calves was Belmore Washington N6 (pictured).Belmore Jackaroo Z109 is out of a Washington cow.
Cujo still appears in a number of pedigrees across the Australian herd. When I get time I will write some more on his influence here.

Attachments

• washi.jpg
    washi.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 120

sue

Cujo was one of two bulls used in a Shorthorn trial at Michigan State ( research farm where I grew up).  Dad always loved the Cujo daugthers . I believe he is Homo Polled too??

sue

coyote said:
Sue is Cujo a Shorty hf bull?
I dont think so?? I was in my diapers ( late 80's) when this trial started  ;).

sue

HEY  329 IS OFF TO STUD !!  PLACE YOUR ORDERS  AND GET THE STEER PLANET DISCOUNT...

REG # 4142538

CE + 5.2    BW -2.8  WW 12  YW 30 M 3  MCE +1.9

Act BW 69, FR SC  Short but wide
Birthdate 2/08
Dam's age  8

329 is in the breed's top 3% for Calving Ease and 1% for BW, yet in the top 30% for YW.  Super disposition, great feet and legs, huge foot . This photo was a pasture shot taken 9/10. Yes feel free to ask for sexed semen.  conventional $25. SP  10% discount until May 1st

Attachments

• 329shrunk.jpg
    329shrunk.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 163

justintime

coyote said:
Sue is Cujo a Shorty hf bull?

I will agree with Sue in that I would not consider Cujo as being a bull suitable for use on heifers. I never had any problems using him on cows, but there are just so many better choices to use on heifers. I always thought that CC Prince ( a  son of Cujo) offered a little more calving ease. Some of the Cujo offspring had amazing growth, and the Prince offspring were a bit more moderate in frame. I think Cujo or his offspring were used around the world.

And, yes, as far as I know, Cujo was homozygous polled. I never heard of any horned offspring from him.