Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

DRB

justintime said:
coyote said:
Sue is Cujo a Shorty hf bull?

I will agree with Sue in that I would not consider Cujo as being a bull suitable for use on heifers. I never had any problems using him on cows, but there are just so many better choices to use on heifers. I always thought that CC Prince ( a  son of Cujo) offered a little more calving ease. Some of the Cujo offspring had amazing growth, and the Prince offspring were a bit more moderate in frame. I think Cujo or his offspring were used around the world.

And, yes, as far as I know, Cujo was homozygous polled. I never heard of any horned offspring from him.

I have some cows by CCS Shoshone (SS Jealousy Par by MTU Cujo who's a son of CC Cujo), that have always worked well for me :)

Doc

coyote said:

I wouldn't use Cujo as a hfr bull. I do use a son of his on my hfrs, Pa Do Boxer. He was a former Nat'l Champion bull that in my opinion was one of those that fit the bill. Don Stout used Boxer the last 4 yrs of his life on all of his hfrs. They make outstanding cows.

sue

DRB said:
justintime said:
coyote said:

I will agree with Sue in that I would not consider Cujo as being a bull suitable for use on heifers. I never had any problems using him on cows, but there are just so many better choices to use on heifers. I always thought that CC Prince ( a  son of Cujo) offered a little more calving ease. Some of the Cujo offspring had amazing growth, and the Prince offspring were a bit more moderate in frame. I think Cujo or his offspring were used around the world.

And, yes, as far as I know, Cujo was homozygous polled. I never heard of any horned offspring from him.

I have some cows by CCS Shoshone (SS Jealousy Par by MTU Cujo who's a son of CC Cujo), that have always worked well for me :)
Flipping through pages of the "80s" in SH Country:
I recall CCS Shoshone: I just found pictures of CC Cujo and CC Prince. Both bulls weighed near 2300 lbs. Prince looks taller then cujo ?? I guess MTU Cujo will be in a early 90's country? 
I wish Roger Applegate was still breeding Shorthorns today ...  awesome stuff.

Okotoks

MTU Cujo 301 was the sire of MF Blueprint 833. 833 had a pretty good BW EPD for the high growth he had.
CE 4.0 BW1.7  WW25 YW 54  Milk10

Attachments

• MF Blueprint 833.jpg
    MF Blueprint 833.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 173

sue

The last sale Leveldale  had ... 2000? They offered the progeny of MF Blue Print , SR Red Riders Drive and RB Eagle 148. I recall a bred calving the afternoon before the sale- spit the Blue Print baby right  out.
One of the visits I made this past fall included a  of a Blueprint daughter ( highlight) at Taylor Stock Farms, Ky... purchased at Leveldale's sale. Many many really good daughters of this female in production too.
Earlier part of 2002 or 03  I recall seeing several at Woodside in PA too.  Never used Blueprint personally cannot say if he is calving ease?

sjcattleco

Doc said:
coyote said:

I wouldn't use Cujo as a hfr bull. I do use a son of his on my hfrs, Pa Do Boxer. He was a former Nat'l Champion bull that in my opinion was one of those that fit the bill. Don Stout used Boxer the last 4 yrs of his life on all of his hfrs. They make outstanding cows.

I have some Boxer semen will sell.... make offer! 

justintime

sue said:
The last sale Leveldale  had ... 2000? They offered the progeny of MF Blue Print , SR Red Riders Drive and RB Eagle 148. I recall a bred calving the afternoon before the sale- spit the Blue Print baby right  out.
One of the visits I made this past fall included a  of a Blueprint daughter ( highlight) at Taylor Stock Farms, Ky... purchased at Leveldale's sale. Many many really good daughters of this female in production too.
Earlier part of 2002 or 03  I recall seeing several at Woodside in PA too.  Never used Blueprint personally cannot say if he is calving ease?

CCS Shoshone was a son of MTU Cujo 301 ( by CC Cujo) and Shoshone was a great breeding bull. I purchased Shoshone for Bill and Ingrid McMahon, Lednura Shorthorns, Arundel, Quebec from a Cagwin Labour Day sale. He sold at the side of his dam and she was an excellent cow. She was SS Jealousy Par 2A2B and she sold to Huberdale Farms. Shoshone was shown by McMahon's and he was Canadian National Champion bull as a yearling. A couple years later, I went out to McMahon's and I could not believe my eyes. The set of Shoshone calves I saw there were, without any doubt, the best set I had seen in many years. They were tremendously thick, with excellent volume. I purchased semen from him on the spot. I have probably used 50 straws of semen from Shoshone and I have used him in our ET program as well.Despite having quite a few calves from Shoshone, I don't have any in my herd right now, as they always sold. I think every bull, including the one pictured, was sold to commercial producers. I was going to use the bull I have pictured myself, but I priced him at $5000 to a commercial producer, thinking that he would not take him. He did not hesitate and wrote the cheque.

Almost all the embryos I have got from Shoshone have sold to Scotland and England. I still have a few doses of Shoshone, an d I probably should buy some more, if there is any left. I have attached a picture of a Shoshone son that we raised. He was out of a two year old heifer.

Shoshone was never promoted much and most people have never heard of him. He is really a great breeding bull.

Attachments

• HC Newscast 44N-2005sm.jpg
    HC Newscast 44N-2005sm.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 181

Okotoks

Bulls like HC Newscast in the above photo would be real easy to sell. I looked up his EPD's and they are good as well.
CE +0.8  BW +1.8  WW+21  YW+35  Milk +6 .

Okotoks

justintime said:
sue said:
The last sale Leveldale  had ... 2000? They offered the progeny of MF Blue Print , SR Red Riders Drive and RB Eagle 148. I recall a bred calving the afternoon before the sale- spit the Blue Print baby right  out.
One of the visits I made this past fall included a  of a Blueprint daughter ( highlight) at Taylor Stock Farms, Ky... purchased at Leveldale's sale. Many many really good daughters of this female in production too.
Earlier part of 2002 or 03  I recall seeing several at Woodside in PA too.  Never used Blueprint personally cannot say if he is calving ease?

CCS Shoshone was a son of MTU Cujo 301 ( by CC Cujo) and Shoshone was a great breeding bull. I purchased Shoshone for Bill and Ingrid McMahon, Lednura Shorthorns, Arundel, Quebec from a Cagwin Labour Day sale. He sold at the side of his dam and she was an excellent cow. She was SS Jealousy Par 2A2B and she sold to Huberdale Farms. Shoshone was shown by McMahon's and he was Canadian National Champion bull as a yearling. A couple years later, I went out to McMahon's and I could not believe my eyes. The set of Shoshone calves I saw there were, without any doubt, the best set I had seen in many years. They were tremendously thick, with excellent volume. I purchased semen from him on the spot. I have probably used 50 straws of semen from Shoshone and I have used him in our ET program as well.Despite having quite a few calves from Shoshone, I don't have any in my herd right now, as they always sold. I think every bull, including the one pictured, was sold to commercial producers. I was going to use the bull I have pictured myself, but I priced him at $5000 to a commercial producer, thinking that he would not take him. He did not hesitate and wrote the cheque.

Almost all the embryos I have got from Shoshone have sold to Scotland and England. I still have a few doses of Shoshone, an d I probably should buy some more, if there is any left. I have attached a picture of a Shoshone son that we raised. He was out of a two year old heifer.

Shoshone was never promoted much and most people have never heard of him. He is really a great breeding bull.
He is also the sire of HC Elsie’s Jade 20P. Jaimie just bought two embryos by Saskvalley Pioneer and 20P. Definitely should be exciting. I saw 20P's Last Call daughter at Fantasy Lane when she was two year old and she was a moderate framed heifer with a beautiful udder.

Attachments

• HC-Elsie's-Jade-20P_web.jpg
    HC-Elsie's-Jade-20P_web.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 157

coyote

This is one of the bulls we used on our heifers last year, Muridale Briggs 25W, he is a grandson of Saskvalley Bonanza 219M.
He will be in the Who's Your Daddy Bull Sale in Saskatoon, April 7.

Attachments

• 25w 018 - Copy.JPG
    25w 018 - Copy.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 145

aandtcattle

Nice bull coyote!  Hey a heifer bull that I sampled last year that has not been mentioned on this thread yet (that I know of) is RS ST 832 a bull also known as "Rob".  He is a Sutherland Titleist 269 son out of a Deertrail Sagebrush daughter.  I got the first calf the night of the 9th, 11 days early based on a 283 day gestation.  59 pound heifer calf out of an Open Range daughter back to a Dover Ranch female.  Nice vigorous calf too, it was below zero and didnt have to hot box or anything- just full of fire.  Had a A&T Rawhide calf the same night 14 days early out of a GVR Last Call 626 daughter that weighed 91 when she was born - 76 pound heifer calf, also very vigorous.  Contact Ryan Galbreath for Rawhide semen.  He has had several calves by rawhide out of heifers this year.

Okotoks

coyote said:
This is one of the bulls we used on our heifers last year, Muridale Briggs 25W, he is a grandson of Saskvalley Bonanza 219M.
He will be in the Who's Your Daddy Bull Sale in Saskatoon, April 7.
The bulls are looking good. I like the videos you have posted, you are getting pretty efficient!

http://www.muridale.com/sales.html

justintime

This is a very good bull. Very different made from his flushmate brother Waukaru Patent. Top Shelf is longer bodied, softer made and more free moving. He is very structurally sound. I saw him after he had ran all summer with a big group of cows and he looked good.

Durham

A true heifer bull. -5.7 BEPD and +14.3 CED.

Attachments

• Conquest '06.jpg
    Conquest '06.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 185