Shorty hf bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

r.n.reed

Thanks for the effort JD it sure helps consolidate this vast novel.Now if we only had accuracies ;D.Here are some shots of some  4 1/2 to 5mo. old Kaper 4508 calves born this spring.

Attachments

• 4508-2011 002 (Medium).jpg
    4508-2011 002 (Medium).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 4508-2011 005 (Medium).jpg
    4508-2011 005 (Medium).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 147

jaimiediamond

r.n.reed said:
Thanks for the effort JD it sure helps consolidate this vast novel.Now if we only had accuracies ;D.Here are some shots of some  4 1/2 to 5mo. old Kaper 4508 calves born this spring.

I was thinking of fitting the accuracies in there.... Then I realized I was at 5 pages without trying!!!!  I think it is really neat comparing each animals epds against each other as it gives a better idea of what your dealing with (without seeing the animal in the flesh).  For those who are motivated the accuracies can be found on the ASA website :D

I absolutely love the Kaper heifer calves!!!!!!

Okotoks

r.n.reed said:
Those two heifer calves look pretty close to ideal. Any idea how the BWs and WWs are going to compare with the average in your herd. Have you any more calves by the Kenmar President bull this year?

Okotoks

Here is a bull that I think we will hear a lot from in the future. I just posted a picture of a daughter with her dam at the junior show. I was looking up the sire of the calf,105T, and his CE and BW numbers are amazing. Task Forces's sire is a herd bull at Double Star.

CE 9.1   BW -3.4    WW 19    YW 31  Milk  0   MW10    MCE2.6

SASKVALLEY TASK FORCE 105T Registration: x4161515
DOB: 5/1/2007
   Alta Cedar Ultimate 8J
 Saskvalley Navajo 153M
   Saskvalley Marianne 36H
SASKVALLEY RIPPER 260R
   Saskvalley Justice 3D
 Saskvalley Marianne 184H
   Saskvalley Marianne 26B

Muridale Buster 14K
 Muridale Master 24M
   Muridale Dolly 25G
SASKVALLEY MAGGIE 73R
   Alta Cedar Ultimate 8J
 Saskvalley Maggie 256M
   Saskvalley Maggie 89H

Attachments

• Saskvalley Task Force 105T.jpg
    Saskvalley Task Force 105T.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 181
  • cowcalf_RESgrandchampion.jpg
    cowcalf_RESgrandchampion.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 156

r.n.reed

Okotoks said:
r.n.reed said:
Those two heifer calves look pretty close to ideal. Any idea how the BWs and WWs are going to compare with the average in your herd. Have you any more calves by the Kenmar President bull this year?
Although it is a small sampling so far everyone who has used 4508 is excited.Birthweights in my herd are on the low end to avg.Weaning and yrlg.weights are right in there with the  rest of the herd.I would not expect much variation in my herd as 4508 is still a linebreeding situation for me.The heifer calves above are out of first calf heifers and are on very dry Kansas range at Marty Lovings.That heifer closest to the camera looks exactly like 4508's maternal granddam.My camera doesn't do that bull cal justice.He is out of one of Marty's oldest cows who also goes back to old President.Marty and I both agreed he would wean over 700lbs.I do have a couple of 26a bull calves on the ground.

Van Ridge,I remember the era when that data came out and it was very frustrating to me on two levels.First the fact that cattlemen apparently didn't use a calculator back then and also the fact that by the time that data had come out the reg.Shorthorn breeders had already discarded those genetics and had moved on to bigger things,I mean way bigger.

vanridge

Hey, I'm glad you posted that r.n reed!! You never know what you find on the internet, if its a worthwhile research project or if its a load of bunk. That's why I stuck it on here.. to see how people would react!  <beer>

Okotoks

Here's another bull that probaly should be on the list, WAUKARU GOLD CARD 5042.
Great CE and BW but includes peformance plus red and polled!
CE    BW    WW    YW  Milk  MW    MCE
5.8  0.5    38        68    2    21      1.0

Attachments

• Waukaru Gold Card 5042.jpg
    Waukaru Gold Card 5042.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 190

Will

vanridge said:
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/400/400-803/400-803.html

Scroll down a bit and see what it says on the graphs. I thought it was interesting. I was actually looking for carcass trait averages on different breeds when I stumbled onto this....
What I find most interesting is the percentage that survive till weaning.  As most people sell at weaning that could be the most important trait of all.  If I had 1000 cows and 10% better survival I would have an additional 100 calve to sell each year.  That would be huge even if they weighed a little less considering most years they would bring more per pound as lighter weight cattle.

jaimiediamond

Attached is a pdf of the bulls listed on this thread with their 2011 EPDs and one or two pictures of each bull (that I could find of course)

Attachments

• bull list.pdf
    943.6 KB · Views: 171

cowdoc1973

What bulls are you guys using on heifers this year?

This is my 2011 crop of calves out of my first calf heifers from left to right:

A May 25 Jake's Tabasco bull calf (80 pounds) out of an 844 heifer
An April 3 Osage bull calf (70 pounds) out of JSF Jazz 34S heifer
An April 5 TM Gus heifer calf (74 pounds) out of a Potato Creek Farm heifer
A June 19 Dover bull calf (85 pounds) out of an Osage heifer

This year I am using Osage again along with Waukaru Goldcard.

Attachments

• Shorty Heifer Bulls.jpg
    Shorty Heifer Bulls.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 143

Okotoks

cowdoc1973 said:

The Tabasco Jake looks like he is a neat calf. Is Osage your favorite if you are using him again?

justintime

cowdoc1973 said:

We used HC Bar Code 16X ET X on our heifers this year. He is a son of Pheasant Creek Leader 4th and B Good Red Sue 1P and he was 75 lbs at birth. Leader 4th was born in 1968, and IMO, he is the best of the Leader line, including his grandsire, Leader 21st. IMO, if Leader 4th was alive today he would be a very popular bull.
In 2010, we used Hillside Leader x, as well as HC FL Touchdown 123T ET x naturally on our heifers and also used HC Mist's Return 13R by AI. We only assisted two heifers , both with malpresentations. Hillside Leader was purchased after seeing him promoted on Steerplanet by JoeNTennessee. ( More of the self promotion that some on here seem to get cranky about occasionally.)  He certainly caught my attention and I have to say that the set of calves we have by this bull are a superb group. We are now marketing him in Canada, USA and Auistralia. I was looking for a low BW bull that still possessed excellent growth... and I am pretty sure I found one! In regards to Mist's Return, he is a full Irish bull by Highfield Irish Mist, and he was used for 4 years on our heifers, and he is still the easiest calving bull we have ever used.
It was my intention to sych all the heifers and breed them to Touchdown and Hillside Leader, but about the time we were supposed to CIDR them, we got 10 inches of rain and over the next two weeks, had almost 20 inches. The only way we could even get to the heifer pasture was  by boat, so Bar Code was turned out and he swam to the heifers.
As this thread will attest to, there are many great choices in the Shorthorn breed to use on heifers. Those who say you have to use an Angus bull on your heifers so that they will calve easily either has never looked very hard, or they have heifers with very tiny reproductive tracts.

I have included  pics of Bar Code, Hillside Leader, Mists's Return ( end of breeding season as a 2 year old), and a Hillside Leader heifer calf. She is pictured 3 days after weaning last week, and her dam was only 21 months old when she was born. Her mom did a pretty amazing job and did it all herself as we did not creep feed anything. This heifer sells in the Allstar Classic Sale, Lacombe, AB on Oct 22nd.

Attachments

• HC Bar Code 16X ET.JPG
    HC Bar Code 16X ET.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Hillside Leader - 14 months sm.jpg
    Hillside Leader - 14 months sm.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 163
  • HC Mist's Return 13R - two year old.jpg
    HC Mist's Return 13R - two year old.jpg
    545.1 KB · Views: 169
  • HC Cherry Mist 19Y (3) SM.jpg
    HC Cherry Mist 19Y (3) SM.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 169

cowdoc1973

The Tabasco Jake looks like he is a neat calf. Is Osage your favorite if you are using him again?
[/quote]
The Tabasoc calf is out of lot 36 in last years Form to Function sale. She is an Angus shorthorn cross. That calf was all muscle the day he was born. He will be going to Illinois to work on a little herd of commercial black cows. I am using the rest of my Gus and Dover semen on the adult cows this year. Have rebred these heifers back their origional matings but used Gus on the Bowman cow. My strategy is to use all my semen inventory up before moving to another bull. Semen sitting in a tank is expensive and poor investment IMHO. I do like my osage heifers and steers. I am realizing that even with AI one should use the same bulls over several years, just as in natural service to produce a consistent herd?

Okotoks or other Canadians, do you have a contact or website to get a subscription to your national shorthorn magazine? the Canadian equivalent of Shorthorn Country?
Thank You

Okotoks

cowdoc1973 said:
The Tabasoc calf is out of lot 36 in last years Form to Function sale. She is an Angus shorthorn cross. That calf was all muscle the day he was born. He will be going to Illinois to work on a little herd of commercial black cows. I am using the rest of my Gus and Dover semen on the adult cows this year. Have rebred these heifers back their origional matings but used Gus on the Bowman cow. My strategy is to use all my semen inventory up before moving to another bull. Semen sitting in a tank is expensive and poor investment IMHO. I do like my osage heifers and steers. I am realizing that even with AI one should use the same bulls over several years, just as in natural service to produce a consistent herd?

Okotoks or other Canadians, do you have a contact or website to get a subscription to your national shorthorn magazine? the Canadian equivalent of Shorthorn Country?
Thank You
[/quote]
The Canadian Shorthorn Report
Box 3771, Regina, SK
Canada
S4P 3N8

US subscription $30.00 (4 issues per year)
Canadian          $25.00
email [email protected]
Just got my Herd reference issue and was busy looking up pedigrees on some of the new herd bulls. A pretty exciting group!

Also SeannyT if you can you should post the photos of the two red cows in your ad! JT Goldie 3P and JT Goldie 112R, they are two maternal sisters , one by Muridale Buster 14K and one by Goldwin Burwash 4H. That's an awesome pair of brood cows (thumbsup)

PDJ

Several years ago we bred all of our heifers to a bull called NPS Spirit of Rose.  Wayne Temple and Truckenbrod's owned him.  They calved easy and were hairy, just nice calves out of first timers.