Should I trade?

Help Support Steer Planet:

TottenClubCalves

Hi i was just wanting to get some opinions on my situation. I have the oppurtunity to get a bred cow and a heifer calf for my show heifer. I'm going to post you some pics and I'd like to get your opinion on if i should trade or not. The first picture is me heifer and the last three are of the animals that i would get.

myheifer.jpg

cow1.jpg

heifer2.jpg

heifer1.jpg

red

(welcome) tottenclubcalves!

First- what is the show heifer out of? Is she bred? Has she been shown & if so how has she done?
Second- what is the cow out of? Is she bred? What are the ages of all three of the trades?

I like your show heifer. Not real crazy about the cow & calves but might be the pictures.

Red

Telos

Your show heifer is really very good in my opinion and hard to come by. Like Red said it is the genetics which probably should weigh in making your decision and how much the Shorthorn cow can help you achieve your goals. Both look very nice, but the black show heifer is my kind of girl, that if she goes on and makes a good cow will have an impact on many breeding programs. If the Shorthorn is functional and appears to do most things right,needs to be considered too. Just make sure you get as much accurate history you can on her: Fertility, mothering ability, soundness, pedigree etc.

These decisions are always a tough question to ask yourself.

Show Heifer

Tough decision for sure, but I have to say "No trade".  Your black heifer is a really nice heifer. And although the shorties are not "dolled-up" for show, I do not think they are equal quality. That being said, two is USUALLY better than one. And actually 3 (cow is bred correct). My first thought is "What are the bloodlines of the shorties and are they TH/PHA tested?" If they are not, DEMAND IT. If they are tested and are positive, RUN AWAY. Why trade for a problem?
So, I guess I would not trade and keep my really nice heifer and hope she developes into the future of my cow program!!

OH Breeder

First pictures are always hard to evaluate. But, the cow and calf are not that bad in pictures. The shorthorn heifer calf looks green. What the bloodlines on the cow? She has some depth of body and the heifer looks to be clean made but fine featured. if you are going to get a heifer calf and cow that is bred you are looking at three. Even if you sell the heifer calf and the one on the way, you could put an egg in the cow if you don't like her. Recieps are going for 1200 plus today's market that are sound and good momma's.
Now, in regards to TH/PHA testing. Look at the blood lines. See if either of the animals have a suspect history for being positive.So, if momma is clean but is suspect and have her tested. hopefully she is bred clean or if she is clean and is bred suspect, you will have an animal to manage potentially when born. Not a big deal in my mind. If the heifer calf and momma are both positive then you will have to manage your choices carefully. If you think they are worth that then go for it.
But, your show heifer is probably 1500-2000 and you have that at market price in the animals for trade. I guess I look at how you can utilize the cow and heifer. If you have additional pictures of the heifer maybe relaxed in pasture then post thoughs. The haltered photos of the heifer are not flattering. The cow in my mind is not over the top, but she looks like she has a nice tight udder. Is that her calf they are wanting to trade, because she doesnt' look fresh and if she is then she has a really small udder.

TottenClubCalves

which heifer are you talking about mine or the shorthorn heifer OH? And the mother is free of evrything and bred to a sonny son. the calf is green weighs around 400 pounds just weaned a week ago its about 6 1/2 months old. the guy does not creep his calfs at all they get what there mother gives them. the little heifer is a first time calf but she look like she has potential. The cow was the 2004 Virginia beef expo Grand champion and i thought with her depth and she looks like she's got some pretty good rib to her that i could throw a clubby on her and come out with a nice moderate frame thick calf.

Telos

Ohio Breeder, I think that black heifer looks awefully nice! The Shorthorn first calf heifer would definantly need a stouter, wider based kind of a bull to throw on her IMO. It is a tough decision. The pedigrees needs to be considered at this piont.

TottenClubCalves

well my black heifer was reserve at are state fair grand at a big jackpot show and recently reserve at central florida fair. she hasn't place below third ever and has always been in a class of 10 or more.

garybob

Y'uns got me confused here. Is the roan heifer calf ,the Cow's current progeny, or does she belong to another member of the herd?

My thoughts are: 1. yes, he doesn't creep, but, shouldn't she weigh more than 400 lbs @ 6.5 months?
                                Barring environmental factors ( drought), I would closely examine her pedigree and performance.
                            2. Inquire as to the cow's info. Calving interval? Age at first calf, etc.                               
                            3. If your heifer is worth that much, in trade, to someone else, she has value.

Keep her. Don't trade "down".

DL

first  (welcome)
second - what is the pedigree of your heifer (the black heifer)?
3rd - what do you know about the cow and the farm she comes from -although it could be the picture  she looks pretty rough and the calf looks frail and spindly - what do you know about the health program? Do they test for Johne's disease? do they deworm? Vaccinate? etc
4th - pretty much agree with garybob - don't trade down
5th - what is your goal??

TJ

garybob said:
Y'uns got me confused here. Is the roan heifer calf ,the Cow's current progeny, or does she belong to another member of the herd?

My thoughts are: 1. yes, he doesn't creep, but, shouldn't she weigh more than 400 lbs @ 6.5 months?
                                 Barring environmental factors ( drought), I would closely examine her pedigree and performance.
                             2. Inquire as to the cow's info. Calving interval? Age at first calf, etc.                               
                             3. If your heifer is worth that much, in trade, to someone else, she has value.

Keep her. Don't trade "down".

I'd need more info, but based on what I know...

I really like the black heifer.  I would like to see her a little deeper sided, but she's nice & IMHO, the best one pictured & I would be tempted me to keep her.  1 real good one is better than 2 mediocre ones, IMHO.      

RE the shorthorns...
Like garybob... 400 lbs. @ 6.5 months is a concern to me too, but I know that FL has been in a drought & you can tell that heifer calf is awful green & likely has not been getting all the groceries that she needs.  

The cow doesn't look too bad to me & she may look a lot better with TLC, but I still think that she will need to be bred to a really stout made bull.  I think the heifer also has some potential, but she really needs to be bred to a high volume, tank of a bull, IMHO.  

I would certainly look into the bloodlines, fertility, potential maternal abilty, etc. before I made a decision.  And as other people mentioned, whether or not she is a carrier of TH/PHA should be a concern too.  Still, I'd probably keep what you've already got.  I also vote... don't trade down.   

OH Breeder

The show heifer is nice. Like to see her with little more depth of body. The "green" calf to me is not that bad but is thin. She might fill out. The cow looks pretty deep sided and what does the sonny son look like. Also, I guess are you looking for shorthorns or crossbreds or maines? If you like them all then I say go for it. Still think the cow looks okay and the calf needs some time. The weight kinda of bothers me on the calf, that is really kind of small. Maybe I am in the minority. Like I said, better pictures might show a better side of all animals.

TottenClubCalves

Okay well first off I live in Florida the shorthorns are in Virginia. Also the picture doesn't really do much for my black heifer she is honestly a tank and she does have alot of depth to her. The cow i know needs a little condition but i thought that she could throw a good calf with the right bull. that is NOT her calf the cow is fixing to give birth to her 3rd calf. here is an older picture of me heifer when she had some hair still.

myheifer3.jpg

Jill

I guess the 1st question would be why are you wanting to trade in the 1st place?  Do you not like the black heifer?

gocanes719

I make them take the cow and get hr preg checked with a clean bill of health and I trade.  Your heifer looks like a $2,000 heifer or so to me.  If you can get the cow and calf and sell the calf for $1100 and have a cow that is ready to calve you will be ahead.  My only concern is why the breeder is so willing to get rid of the calf and the cow.

TottenClubCalves

well i kinda talked the guy into the heifer calf and he said that he would get her preg checked for me. Do you think she will be okay to travel for 11-12 hours being 7 months bred what is the risks of her losing the calf? I was originally going to get the cow staright up because he wants a good crossbred heifer. In your guys opinion withmy heifer  having 2 reserve grands and a grand champion title at 15 months old, how much do you think i could get for her she is a registered chimaine and her sire is Paddy O'malley

DL

TottenClubCalves said:
how much do you think i could get for her she is a registered chimaine and her sire is Paddy O'malley

Is she PHA clean?? The answer to that question might have some bearing on her value.