Show calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

We sold a ONO X GRAVY bull calf to some friends. The steer looks ok, but is in need of some fill and flank... I haven't really been able to look at the calf since I'm in college.. Any tips. This was also put first "show calf" that we had born on our place, so he pretty much had no creep feed and wasn't weaned til late.. Also he is old for the show he's going to.. But for the first calf we ever raised he was decent..(Last picture calf was being weaned).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 144

JRapp

IMO I would limit his hay to around a flake/day and make sure he is on a good finishing feed.  A couple weeks out from a show maybe start adding some depth charge or cotton seed hulls to his diet so he gets use to being full.  Once you get back from the show take him off the depth charge/hulls. 

When our turn out lots have enough grass to where they can pick around we give them there normal feed rations and then instead of a flake of hay give them a flake of winning fill instead. 

Hes a good looking calf w/some good pieces.  Getting some condition on him will change him a lot I think. 

Well the calf didn't do good and it came down to how he was fed. He wasn't the best calf but he had pieces to do alright in the scramble show. Calf was just too hard and lacked depth in his rear 1/3 this picture was the best he looked while he was there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    898.8 KB · Views: 147