Show Heifers & heats

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

No, Show Hef- I'm not talking about you!

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that some of these show heifers are coming in really strong heat cycles? My red heifer about killed herself at the expo when she tried to jump the fan cage. Normally she was the sweetest, tamest girl around. But when she came into heat, she became a raving lunatic. She's tried to mount me & my hubby both. I was really glad when the people that bought her got her bred as soon as possible.
I know it's just not her because the same people said that their other heifer hurt her leg while she was in heat. Justme can also add to this topic since her daughter's heifer was being an idiot too.

Any thoughts on why they come in such strong heats? My other heifers don't react like that. Is is because they're getting a better mineral program & more feed? does anyone else have this problem.

sometimes they can be dangerous, especially if you have them at a show or are trying to work w/ them. Theories?

Red (cow)

cowz

I am purely speculating here.....so DL or vets ....weigh in here please.

I wonder if excessive finish on show heifers can lend itself to excessive heat behavior.  The reason I ask this is because humans hold higher amounts of estrogen and progesterone in their bodies when they are overweight.  Am I crazy to go this direction?

We had a super tame show heifer who was just unmanagable when in heat, and yes she had some cover on her.  Just thinkin' out loud.  Any thoughts.?

Showcalves

Hmmm.....actually all our theories are out the window this year.  One show heifer was letting everyone in three counties know every time she was in heat.  The other has such quiet heats we have a hard time really knowing if she's in heat or not.  ::)  Both get the same feed and have basically the same amount of cover.  They're within a month of each other agewise.  Just not sure why the difference.

Melinda

red

she could be a raving idiot!i have never had a heifer come in as strong of heats as this one does. Ask MLK32, she could be uncontrolable. Then when she was out of heat, the sweetest girl you could ever want.
Her heats were long too, at expo it lasted 3 days w/ discharge too. i've never had such a heat cycle. I wondered if she was being fed extra minerals if that added to it.
She does come from a high producing cow family that always breds right back & easily.
I've also had the vocal heats! Have a heifer that will break your ear drums annoucing her heats. Trumpteting they call it in bulls not sure what it's called in cows!

Red

stick

shows work better than Lutelase to bring them into heat. :D :D :D

Showcalves

Last year one of our heifers came in as we were packing to leave for the Maine Jr. National in Texas.  Brought in the bull, he bred her twice and we drove for 11 hours.  Figured there was no way she'd ever stick.  Well, we had a calf about 2 days before her due date.  (lol)  They never fail to confound me.

Melinda