Show on Thursday, auction on Saturday

Help Support Steer Planet:

azgrower

I've got a show on Thursday. This is the end of the road as far as my steer goes, and my first time showing cattle. I would like it to go as nicely as possible(who doesn't). Do you have any tips? I've basically been building up leading and working with him since mid December. A little more every day, so we are pretty confortable together now, but he gets a little excited and wants to take off when lots of things are going on around him. Usually I just crank on the halter and dig my elbow in to turn so he doesn't get up to speed. Any ideas how to keep this speed demon at bay?

fluffer

Well good luck at your show!

We usually try and get our calves out somwhere to a little show or soemthing when they are young.  It does 3 things.  1, lets us get an idea of the calfs attitued towards shows. 2, Makes sure they will be ready for the "bigger shows". 3, our calves seem to "bloom" after their first show. 

I reaize this may be too late for you.. but just for the future  :)

When your calf goes to take off, don't dig your elbow into his shoulder and turn him, you will eventuall get stepped on.  Keep his head up and use the show stick and hold it in front of his nose and pop him on the bridge of the nose if he tries to go too fast.  Practice with this at home and he will know that show stick will hurt him when he sees it.  I also have my nephue pop the calf in the eye if they get too pushy.  Do it descretly though.  And you don't really want to hurt him.  I only use that if they get really pushy.  They usually forget about being naughty when their eye is watering. 

Hope this helps a little.  It is really good that you have been working with your calf for so long.  I am sure you will both do fine  ;D 

Good Luck!  Let us know how you do  <party>

Fluffer

knabe

when you pull his head towards you when you feel like he's gonna take off, what this does is force him to swing his back end out away from you.  feel a little earlier, and tip his head slightly away from you so it won't attract attention, then reward.  you can even reward at home by using your hands to rub on him, like between his front legs, his sweet spots.  have people walk around him, don't have them pet him, but just feel him like a judge.  have them sit there and ask you some questions, then move off like a judge would.  have the person change directions, come back by.  pretend he's on a tight rope (not tension wise, but balance wise) and let him feel for neutrality, while keeping his head up.  to me, the ultimate should feel like you are dancing with how in sync you are with them, not them with you.  feel in your forehead when you smile, but don't smile, as that detracts from presentation.  if you don't have relaxation there, the steer can feel it.  it will also reduce the overwhelming anxiety sweat that everyone feels anyway.  showing cattle has got to be one of the quickest ways to get one's underarms wet.

Simmymom1

azgrower said:
I've got a show on Thursday. This is the end of the road as far as my steer goes, and my first time showing cattle. I would like it to go as nicely as possible(who doesn't). Do you have any tips? I've basically been building up leading and working with him since mid December. A little more every day, so we are pretty confortable together now, but he gets a little excited and wants to take off when lots of things are going on around him. Usually I just crank on the halter and dig my elbow in to turn so he doesn't get up to speed. Any ideas how to keep this speed demon at bay?

<party>    Good Luck and try to relax.... My daughter shows her steer in 12 days at our county fair and I know she is going to be nervous and I am going to do my best to get her to relax!!