Show steer pics

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

My daughter wanted me to post some pics of her steer to see what everyone thought of him. He is weighing 770 and is out of Radioactive.

Attachments

• Oakley 005a.JPG
    Oakley 005a.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 489
  • Oakley 009a.JPG
    Oakley 009a.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 487
  • Oakley 011a.JPG
    Oakley 011a.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 450

BCCC

He looks good I would throw a neck sweat on him though, and next time dont cut his tail so short. I would like to see him a little deeper in the flank, but it should come down some with more feed. Good Luck!!

SKF

His tail looks short because he kept hold it up high tonight for some unkinow reason.

showgirl2010

Same here i would like to see him fill out in the flank area and in the twist area from the back view.  Which means a longer butt muscle bascially.  But that will come with time and growth.  I forget he is only 700 lbs.  But for not being that big he is nice.  Good luck.

Jamie

ShortyJ13

BCCC said:
He looks good I would throw a neck sweat on him though,

okay, ive never used one. and i think i might be in need soon.
BUT i hear thier a waste of money, never seen it myself first-hand though.
if you've used one BCCC what's your opinion?  ???

Cattledog

ShortyJ13 said:
BCCC said:
He looks good I would throw a neck sweat on him though,

okay, ive never used one. and i think i might be in need soon.
BUT i hear thier a waste of money, never seen it myself first-hand though.
if you've used one BCCC what's your opinion?  ???

I use them and I think that they work great.  I was once skeptical ad then I had someone put it in perspective for me.  The guy asked me to take my wedding band off my finger.  You could tell that my left ring finger was thinner than my right.  I have been using the neck sweats ever since. 

afhm

He looks good to me.  Where did he come from?  What show is he for? Good luck at the shows with him.

SKF

afhm said:
He looks good to me.  Where did he come from?  What show is he for? Good luck at the shows with him.

Thanks....He came from Tad Kite in Ok. and he is for the South Florida Fair in Jan. Right now he has no hair I hoping it will come back soon but other than that he is doing really good. He's been shown twice both times he won his class.

txshowlamb

Real nice steer looks to be thick what are you feeding and how much? Also is he on any supplements and whats the age on him.

SKF

txshowlamb said:
Real nice steer looks to be thick what are you feeding and how much? Also is he on any supplements and whats the age on him.

Thanks- We are feeding him Showmaster grower and he gets about 25lbs a day. We are not giving him any supplements. He is a Sept. calf.

txshowlamb

Ok thats a great feed whats your weight limit fyi dont over feed your steer because the body takes the extra feed and uses it as waste so its a waste of money too now iam not saying your over feeding him but this is just for further reference. thanks

showsteerdlux

Not tryin to be smart but there is no way that 25lbs is over feeding that calf (its about 3.4%/body weight). Most of these shows don't have a limit on weight. 2nd is  that when you "overfeed" the body usually doesn't waste the feed. When cattle are overfed you can run the chance of messing up their rumen and them getting off feed but in my experience I havent had a problem feeding a steer close to 5%/bw. The steer that i did this on ate 60/lbs a day when he was a 12 weight with no trouble at all. He finished out at 1534 and won our carcass competition at the state fair so imvho it can be pretty hard to overfeed a steer unless you cut out the roughage then you might be opening yourself up for problems.

txshowlamb

Sir /  Maam I had said that I was giving her that info for further info and I said this now iam not saying your over feeding him but this is just for further reference.  I think you misread sorry for the inconvience and I by my ag teacher that when over feeding the extra feed become waste.

bjs

showsteerdlux said:
Not tryin to be smart but there is no way that 25lbs is over feeding that calf (its about 3.4%/body weight). Most of these shows don't have a limit on weight. 2nd is  that when you "overfeed" the body usually doesn't waste the feed. When cattle are overfed you can run the chance of messing up their rumen and them getting off feed but in my experience I havent had a problem feeding a steer close to 5%/bw. The steer that i did this on ate 60/lbs a day when he was a 12 weight with no trouble at all. He finished out at 1534 and won our carcass competition at the state fair so imvho it can be pretty hard to overfeed a steer unless you cut out the roughage then you might be opening yourself up for problems.

60 lbs. a day!  Wow :eek:  Im speechless

shortyjock89

Pretty impressive...I'm just a little concerned that a 1500+ lb steer won the carcass contest.  I don't doubt that he had a nice carcass...but wasn't he a bit big for the box?