Show Stock Insurance

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dusty

Just wondering what companies people use/ have used for insuring a show heifer and or steer.  Who did you get along best with?  What are the costs etc...

SKF

We've used Harding & Harding. We had a bull insured that we bought at a sale and about 8 months later he was injured and died. We a had a great experience with Harding & Harding. They paid out quickly with out and with no hassle. Since our bull was insured we were able to replace him. So I highly recomend them!!

jeffb1

If you are anticipating a short term insured period, any of the mentioned companies would provide you with the coverage you need. If you are looking longer term, you might consider checking with your farm policy coverage(if you or your parents have that type of home coverage). We were able to save a little money, pay it with our homeowner's insurance and provide the coverage we needed on all except the highest insured cow or two! BTW, we have Farm Bureau. Not a "plug" for them, just thought you'd like to know what's available. Also, they have paid two claims in 8-10 years, one a lightning strike(of course it was a NAILE champ, wouldn't hit an open recip!) and one a sale bull that broke his leg coming off the trailer. JB

RSC

Dusty said:
Just wondering what companies people use/ have used for insuring a show heifer and or steer.  Who did you get along best with?  What are the costs etc...

Dusty,  Jamie Secondino with Harding and Harding is who I used.  You can get them by the month, 6 months or a year I believe.  For a year I believe the cost was 6% of the
amount I wanted her insured for.  I have a phone number if you need it.

I have heard nothing but good about Harding & Harding when it comes to settlements.

RSC

Dusty

Thanks for the responses.  It sounds like Harding and Harding is the one to use.  I only ask because occasionally i buy a show heifer and a friend of mine's boy will show her and they keep her at their place.  I don't question their animal husbandry skills.  But, 6% of purchase price is a pretty cheap way to insure a friendship if something would happen to her, ya know what I mean.

Jill

We insure the more expensive ones through the 1st calving and we also use Harding & Harding.  We did at one point check on our home farm policy, but they only insure market price of the animal.

justme

Our farm policy lets us insure our more "valuable" cows for more money.  All I have to do is tell how much, fax her reg. papers to them, and pay the bill.

Dusty

I was actually reading through the fine print on my policy for a heifer tonight and one of the clauses:

We do not cover against loss as a result of nuclear fission, nuclear fusion or radioactive fallout.

Well if you can't insure your heifer in the event of a nuclear war,  i mean what's the use of even buying it?    really...cuz when the those nukes get dropped the first thing i'm gonna be worrying about is my yearling heifer...

klintdog

Dusty said:
I was actually reading through the fine print on my policy for a heifer tonight and one of the clauses:

We do not cover against loss as a result of nuclear fission, nuclear fusion or radioactive fallout.

Well if you can't insure your heifer in the event of a nuclear war,  i mean what's the use of even buying it?    really...cuz when the those nukes get dropped the first thing i'm gonna be worrying about is my yearling heifer...

The other question is if it comes to nukes being dropped, what are the chances you're goign to be around to turn in the claim anyway?

justintime

I have used Harding and Harding and have no complaints. When choosing an insurance company , I would suggest two things:

1) make sure you know and understand the coverage. There is a wide array of coverage terms in livestock insurance, and sometimes there is a reason for a lower rate. Some livestock insurance only covers sinking on a ferry and/or being hit by a falling aircraft. ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT.

2) try to use a livestock insurance company that has people who have some livestock experience. That is why I think Harding & Harding have a good reputation. There are probably others out there with livestock experience, but I have not dealt with them.